Terrorist siege in Saltburn

The PuzzlerThe Puzzler Posts: 7,689
Forum Member
It is a chilling image that will go around the world - a woman in a hijab 'claiming to have a bomb in her bag' pictured as armed police take aim at her.

It is not known if the backpack contained a bomb or not but officers were not taking any chance.

The incident is on-going at the seafront in Saltburn in Teesside today. Army bomb disposal experts are believed to be on site.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2114485/Portrait-Britain-2012-Armed-police-train-guns-veiled-woman-claims-bomb-bag.html#ixzz1p1MqAyW0
:eek: If this isn't a hoax then I hope she never gets let out of prison.

Comments

• CruachanCruachan Posts: 7,211
    Forum Member

The BBC report is less sensational:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-tees-17356864
  • VoynichVoynich Posts: 14,481
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Happened a few weeks ago in Glasgow too. The guy wasn't a Muslim so it wasn't a 'terrorist siege'.

http://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/news/editors-choice/2012/02/11/police-arrest-bomb-threat-suspect-after-eight-hour-siege-in-restaurant-86908-23743945/

I don't think it even made the DM.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 11,313
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Sounds horrible, but I got a hint of her maybe being put up to it, so let's not be too hasty yet. :)
  • Uncle FesterUncle Fester Posts: 15,357
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    If the police truly believe she/he has a bomb they sould take her/him out
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 96
    Forum Member
    I live a stone's throw away from that incident. Drove back from work past a few police cars and officers standing around talking to the public. Dunno what's happening now though - don't wanna rubberneck and even get in the way:)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,450
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    its probably full of winkles.
  • DianaFireDianaFire Posts: 12,711
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I don't think that image will "go round the world" really. Some woman allegedly saying she has a bomb on a coastal path isn't actually up there with causing mass terror. I remain unterrified.
  • Si_CreweSi_Crewe Posts: 40,202
    Forum Member
    Whether it's a bomb or not, it takes some bollocks to get as close to her as some of those cops are.
  • Butcher BillButcher Bill Posts: 2,408
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Stupid brainwashed idiot.
  • Press_EscPress_Esc Posts: 1,065
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    More likely a nutter wanting some 'attention' like the guy down south did a couple of years ago. Jumping on the bandwagon of recent events in Afghanistan to make sure she gets a lengthy term wherever she ends up.
    Of course the msm jumps on the 'terrorist' claim straight away as we saw with Anders Breivik in Norway last year. However thankfully in 5 years only 0.5% of terrorist attacks in Europe has ever been conducted by AQ sympathisers.
  • Speak-SoftlySpeak-Softly Posts: 24,737
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If there's no one around to get hurt, can't they just let her blow herself up?

Save a lot of trouble in the long run.
  • stoatiestoatie Posts: 78,106
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    DianaFire wrote: »
    I don't think that image will "go round the world" really. Some woman allegedly saying she has a bomb on a coastal path isn't actually up there with causing mass terror. I remain unterrified.

Well yeah. I mean, I doubt people in Iraq or Afghanistan are gonna look at it and go "well, it was fine when it was just happening here, but Teeside? Now they're just taking the piss".
  • Deep PurpleDeep Purple Posts: 63,255
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

That was a popular option with De Menezies wasn't it?
  • sutiesutie Posts: 32,645
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Save a lot of trouble in the long run.

I'm in a bad mood, so tempted to simply say yes. :mad:
  • TequilaTequila Posts: 5,111
    Forum Member

And what about the mess/damage to property/other innocent bystanders?
  • NilremNilrem Posts: 6,938
    Forum Member
    That was a popular option with De Menezies wasn't it?

Or anyone else the police have ended up shooting, even after they've been shot at.
  • chupchupchupchup Posts: 432
    Forum Member
    I like the BBC's take on the situation
    Armed police have cordoned off Saltburn seafront over concerns for the welfare of a woman.
  • Mad Man MoonMad Man Moon Posts: 1,087
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've been to Saltburn, last summer. It's quite pleasant, but there isn't much there. Bit of an odd place for this sort of thing to happen.
  • FizzbinFizzbin Posts: 36,827
    Forum Member

Now is not the time to think about dating. :rolleyes:
  • Deep PurpleDeep Purple Posts: 63,255
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Nilrem wrote: »
    Or anyone else the police have ended up shooting, even after they've been shot at.

Marvellous isn't it. The Police are useless if they dont act, and if they do, they shouldn't have done. Some things never change.
  • Speak-SoftlySpeak-Softly Posts: 24,737
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Tequila wrote: »
    And what about the mess/damage to property/other innocent bystanders?

The picture on the BBC news link shows her sitting on the beach, very alone.:confused:
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 96
    Forum Member
    I've been to Saltburn, last summer. It's quite pleasant, but there isn't much there. Bit of an odd place for this sort of thing to happen.

As a resident I can vouch for there being nothing here. I couldn't believe what I was hearing when the news came on the radio this afternoon!
  • The PuzzlerThe Puzzler Posts: 7,689
    Forum Member
    chupchup wrote: »
    I like the BBC's take on the situation
    Typical BBC:rolleyes:
  • franciefrancie Posts: 31,089
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Fizzbin wrote: »
    Now is not the time to think about dating. :rolleyes:

Chuckle :)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 11,313