Worried about going back to uni

FashionFashion Posts: 5,017
Forum Member
Long story short, last term whilst my level 5 module went alright it felt like a losing fight with my level 4 lecturer. Didn't do too well with the first essay (a case of less speed and too much haste), so decided to talk with her after class on how to improve as well as accepting comments she made on the actual essay. After that I decided it'd be best to email an essay outline in advance as well as one after completion, just so to get the final seal of approval. But 3 times, one after the other she'd give the go ahead but mark me a bit low. Not for one minute am I trying to make out I know more than a PhD graduate! But it started to feel like I'd be damned if I do something and damned if I did nothing. For instance, initially I'd regularly raise my hand to answer questions (never spoke over anyone or shouted out), after a while when I'd raise my hand she'd automatically ask someone else so decided to keep my mouth shut...she'd give a funny look here and there

Fast forward to now, after received my timetable I've found out she's teaching one of the modules I hope to do. Therefore I'm feeling a bit apprehensive there might be a repeat of the above. Don't know if it's worth letting the course administrator/director know before I start or to wait and see how things pan out

Comments

• FashionFashion Posts: 5,017
    Forum Member
    Anyone? :(
  • spimfspimf Posts: 6,342
    Forum Member
    I would just wait and see, it doesn't sound like she's intentionally trying to make you feel bad, give it a few weeks and see how it goes :)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 646
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think it's wise to question yourself about this situation

I ask the question...if your not 100% sure about this tutor do you actually need to take her class?

For example is there an alternative course you can take? I would consider that if you think she may have something personal against you.

It's probably not you either, you may be a number of students who feel the same about her but I would consider taking another module if you think ultimately it might be harder to do well with this tutor at the helm.

You need to give yourself every opportunity to do well in your degree and it sometimes means thinking 'outside the box' so to speak.

I'm not saying definitely take an alternative course but if it's an option consider it...you never know you might surprise yourself and like another one of the courses you didnt necessarily consider taking in the first place
  • stud u likestud u like Posts: 42,100
    Forum Member
    Some don't like questions asked and some do not like to be asked questions after lectures/tutorials.

Ideally, she should have told you what her rules are, so there is no confusion.
    Forum Member
    spimf wrote: »
    I would just wait and see, it doesn't sound like she's intentionally trying to make you feel bad, give it a few weeks and see how it goes :)
    Considered this option initially then if push comes to shove, talk through concerns with her after class or something
    I think it's wise to question yourself about this situation

I ask the question...if your not 100% sure about this tutor do you actually need to take her class?

For example is there an alternative course you can take? I would consider that if you think she may have something personal against you.

It's probably not you either, you may be a number of students who feel the same about her but I would consider taking another module if you think ultimately it might be harder to do well with this tutor at the helm.

You need to give yourself every opportunity to do well in your degree and it sometimes means thinking 'outside the box' so to speak.

I'm not saying definitely take an alternative course but if it's an option consider it...you never know you might surprise yourself and like another one of the courses you didnt necessarily consider taking in the first place
    Unfortunately not because I'd have had to have studied a pre-requisite module to guarantee entry.

I try honest I do, like being in the minority by sending her outlines before and after assignments.

During last term, a number of us had a meeting with the class rep with similar issues to mine. We were assured he'd clear things up, but can't help feeling it'll be a 'new term same attitude' scenario. Have thought of a plan b, possibly talking with her after the first class and asking as to how she likes her assignments done and what to include. Or would that be too aggressive?

Thanks ever so much for the replies :)
    Forum Member
    Funny you should say that stud, she told us early on not to worry if assignments didn't go to plan. But I'd have thought answering questions would be second nature, since her other responsibility around the college is as personal tutor.
  • Little NellLittle Nell Posts: 1,115
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Putting the other point of view....it's fine you sending her assignment drafts etc & asking for feedback, but it isn't her job to tell you precisely what to do to get a high mark/grade. If it were as simple as that everyone would be in a position to get high marks just by finding out what the tutor wants & doing it. You said she marked you a bit low. What does this mean exactly, and why do you think you should have got higher marks? Presumably you passed. Assignments are marked against criteria and you should be getting feedback and comments which justify your marks against the criteria and tell you what you need to improve upon in order to get higher marks.
    Forum Member
    Putting the other point of view....it's fine you sending her assignment drafts etc & asking for feedback, but it isn't her job to tell you precisely what to do to get a high mark/grade. If it were as simple as that everyone would be in a position to get high marks just by finding out what the tutor wants & doing it. You said she marked you a bit low. What does this mean exactly, and why do you think you should have got higher marks? Presumably you passed. Assignments are marked against criteria and you should be getting feedback and comments which justify your marks against the criteria and tell you what you need to improve upon in order to get higher marks.
    Not for one minute do I mean to make out I'm the most intelligent/best in the class...if I've given that impression in this thread then I do apologise.

BIB- I don't mean her telling me literally what to put in each assignment sentence by sentence, would've only liked 2-3 marks higher or steadily rising marks. It just got grating (others felt this too) getting penalised for things like: ensuring each paragraph is double spaced, having the reading list in italics or writing shorter sentences.

I say the above because the other module I studied alongside this one, the lecturer was incredibly direct as to how she liked her assignments done. So much so she gave us each an A4 sheet listing likes and dislikes, each other module none have penalised me for grammar.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 475
    Forum Member
    Aren't essays usually anon marked? If so, just do the best you can do and if you think you have been unfairly marked take it up with someone else.
  • technologisttechnologist Posts: 13,370
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Fashion - why do you want to have your tutors seal of approval before she marks your work- how many of your fellow students do that?
    Yes you want to get good marks - but there are ways of doing that without involving your tutor EVERY time.... don't you discuss things with your fellow students and learn through them.

So you have the chance to put last year behind you.... but if it gets too bad talk to Student services or similar - as they can help you with your hang ups and how to study.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Look, I know I'm sounding harsh, but all students would like to get higher/steadily rising marks. There are accepted conventions about referencing; some tutors are more fussy about them than others, that's all. Is there some guidance about this - student handbook, library guide for instance? And did you actually lose marks because of this? If so, all you have to do is to stick to the recommended ways of doing it. Presumably the point about shorter sentences is that the meaning is clearer.

Anyway, now you know what she wants you'll be able to make sure that you get it right.
    Forum Member
    Silly_tree wrote: »
    Aren't essays usually anon marked? If so, just do the best you can do and if you think you have been unfairly marked take it up with someone else.
    Unfortunately most of the modules I'm taking this year are 100% coursework
    Forum Member
    Fashion - why do you want to have your tutors seal of approval before she marks your work- how many of your fellow students do that?
    Yes you want to get good marks - but there are ways of doing that without involving your tutor EVERY time.... don't you discuss things with your fellow students and learn through them.

So you have the chance to put last year behind you.... but if it gets too bad talk to Student services or similar - as they can help you with your hang ups and how to study.
    I meant that figuratively, to show how serious I am about wanting to do well and don't just turn up and do work half heartedly.
    Look, I know I'm sounding harsh, but all students would like to get higher/steadily rising marks. There are accepted conventions about referencing; some tutors are more fussy about them than others, that's all. Is there some guidance about this - student handbook, library guide for instance? And did you actually lose marks because of this? If so, all you have to do is to stick to the recommended ways of doing it. Presumably the point about shorter sentences is that the meaning is clearer.

Anyway, now you know what she wants you'll be able to make sure that you get it right.
    Course all students want the best, but she's inconsistent to the point where it's as though she expects her students to read her mind.

BIB- I used the student handbook, but what she wanted from us was down to preference. Nowhere in the book states a student must double space their parapgraphs and make sure their bibliography's written in italic font. I accept your point about shorter sentences though
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    But did you actually get penalised for things like double spacing or was it just a comment? If the former and you've followed the university guidance you probably have grounds for complaint.
    Forum Member
    But did you actually get penalised for things like double spacing or was it just a comment? If the former and you've followed the university guidance you probably have grounds for complaint.
    Feel I did hence not doing well in the first assignment, after that it felt as though she was scrutinising other areas of my work. Their policy of making a complaint states it must be 6 weeks after the incident in question

Think I'll just talk with her after the first class and ask for likes and dislikes then go from there, should something happen contact student union for advice.
  • RosieRayRosieRay Posts: 185
    Forum Member
    I am a university lecturer and can see both sides of this!

I get sent many many drafts and plans - and I can never predict what grade they will get based on that. Students do have high expectations of what lecturers can offer in terms of guidance and in this increasingly stressful HE environment we just don't have the time for one-to-one detail. In truth, we often rely on students NOT sending us drafts. We deduct marks for paragraphing/grammar etc because it is the precision required in many jobs these days.
    Having said that, some lecturers are not nice people. We are human and that means you might get tricky characters. It is frustrating to watch students struggle on courses run by these types of people but they do exist.
    In terms of asking questions, I realised that in some classes I was relying too much on the people like you who were committed and had done the reading etc. So I sometimes deliberately try and involve other people.
    I am not sure that this helps you but just to give you the perspective that as lecturers we do make mistakes and some don't give you a fair crack of the whip! Students rarely make official complaints against the dodgy lecturers but I would encourage you to do this if you can get the support of other students and a member of staff.
    Forum Member
    Thank you very much for your post Rosie, that's helped a great deal :). On the flipside to show my dedication I've enrolled onto an essay workshop starting near christmas.
    Forum Member
    You are welcome.

I think you sound like a good student who wants to do well and are struggling to meet the expectations of a specific lecturer. Don't let that one person colour your whole academic experience - if you are doing well in other modules then that suggests the problem is with her. My feeling is that you might never please her! Don't enrol on a course to impress her - do it for yourself.

Marking is such a grey area - when marking an essay you give a grade based on certain criteria but you rarely tot up each part and then deduct for grammar etc. It is more intuitive.
    Get the feelings of other students and think about making a complaint.
  • bspacebspace Posts: 14,303
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    personally i would say that these days you're paying a large sum of money for your education

if i payed that amount of money for any other product and it wasn't up to snuff
    then i'd be on to 'the management' and as high up the chain as i needed to go to get the problem resolved

what exactly makes this situation any different?

my comments relate to teaching practise
    not to impartial marking
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 475
    Forum Member
    bspace wrote: »
    personally i would say that these days you're paying a large sum of money for your education

if i payed that amount of money for any other product and it wasn't up to snuff
    then i'd be on to 'the management' and as high up the chain as i needed to go to get the problem resolved

what exactly makes this situation any different?

my comments relate to teaching practise
    not to impartial marking

I really agree with you. So many people forget that they are paying extraordinary amounts to be taught this stuff and go in with the same mindset that they would at school. If you were paying £9k per year for anything else you would expect a decent service.
    Forum Member
    You shouldnt compare it to buying any other product as you get out what you put in. Students turn up thinking they have bought a 2:1 and that we should be available 24/7. Not one penny of the £9k is going on teaching. Degrees always cost this much, but the government used to pay the lion's share. Now we have students with higher expectations, but we are overworked and have less time and money to help. It's really frustrating.

That said, you should expect to get a decent teaching experience and should definitely complain if treated unfairly.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I completely agree, and Rosie's posts have been very helpful. I still wonder if the OP's issues are based on misunderstandings. There's certainly no real evidence that she's been treated unfairly or that she hasn't had her money's worth.
  • susie-4964susie-4964 Posts: 23,143
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    RosieRay wrote: »
    You shouldnt compare it to buying any other product as you get out what you put in. Students turn up thinking they have bought a 2:1 and that we should be available 24/7. Not one penny of the £9k is going on teaching. Degrees always cost this much, but the government used to pay the lion's share. Now we have students with higher expectations, but we are overworked and have less time and money to help. It's really frustrating.

That said, you should expect to get a decent teaching experience and should definitely complain if treated unfairly.

The OP should read "A Don's Day" by Mary Beard. Very interesting perspectives on marking and teaching from a lecturer's viewpoint, which in general agree with Rosie.

The OP needs to find out if other students are also having problems with this lecturer - complaints always look better if supported by more than one individual. Next time there are specific issues about a piece of marked work, arrange an appointment with the lecturer and deal with each point, so that you understand what she's getting at.
  • goldberry1goldberry1 Posts: 2,699
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Do you need to do the module she may be teaching?
    Sometimes in life in general too, people clash or someone takes an instant dislike to you. It's a bit wussy I know but if it was me and the module wasn't essential I'd just avoid it and her.
    Forum Member
    Unfortunately so goldberry, am going to see how the first term goes then if something happens talk with other students and if they feel the same put it across to the classroom rep.

Thanks for the replies, much appreciated :)