Mark Owen - The Art of Doing Nothing/Stars

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,546
Forum Member
✭✭✭
So, the single has debuted. I am very impressed.

I am a big fan anyway, but I was very worried this time. Too much Take That influence or collaborations or changing the style that made his (small but loyal) fanbase love him so much on Green Man, In Your Own Time and How The Mighty Fall.

But Stars is a great first impression.

Almost want to make this an appreciation thread so the people who hate his voice don't fill the thread talking about how they hate his voice. If you hated it the first time, you aren't going to like it now!

Any thoughts?

http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/music/news/a478593/mark-owen-plays-an-astronaut-in-new-single-stars-music-video-watch.html

Comments

• zummigummizummigummi Posts: 320
    Forum Member
    Sorry but his voice grates on me like a piece of cheese on a cheese grater.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,546
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    zummigummi wrote: »
    Sorry but his voice grates on me like a piece of cheese on a cheese grater.

Not sure why you are sorrry, or why you think that would matter to me enough to warrant an apology?
  • musicjukebox123musicjukebox123 Posts: 745
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think it's great and instantly catchy/memorable with an interesting video.
  • ScrubberScrubber Posts: 4,106
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I like it, think it will be a grower. I like Marks voice, his leads on the Take That songs are my favorite.
  • sheila bligesheila blige Posts: 8,012
    Forum Member
    I'm going to have to give it a couple of listens. Its certainly catchy in bits. The video is bloody awful though. I'm guessing it was just thrown together at the last minute.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm going to have to give it a couple of listens. Its certainly catchy in bits. The video is bloody awful though. I'm guessing it was just thrown together at the last minute.

You guess very wrong. Everything has been planned for ages and the video was filmed a couple of months ago in Berlin.

Not my favourite of his, but it isn't bloody awful.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,073
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Im not a TT fan but have loved Marks solo stuff. Hope I manage to get tix when he plays the ritz in Mancs in a few weeks.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,316
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Mark Owen is like bleach, he's an irritant . .
    Tho' I always find his singing, video performances hilarious.
    Good on you Mark, thanks for the laughter. .
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I get people not liking his voice, but the videos are generally great.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 46
    Forum Member
    This song is absolutely amazing!

Loved In Your Own Time and How The Mighty Fall as well.
  • Pippa2012Pippa2012 Posts: 610
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    This is sounding like a very solid album and stars is a great lead single, some good promotion and Mark could experience his best solo album performance to date.
  • big brother 9big brother 9 Posts: 18,153
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    he doesnt have a srong enough voice to be a solo star
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My amazon copy was despatched today and so was the deluxe boxset from his website. Hoping at least one arrives tomorrow.

Very excited about this album and for seeing him on Sunday.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Stars appears to be bombing badly, i really did expect and easy top 75 hit for him, Stars doing so badly has reduced my anticipation of how the album will perform now. Stars deserves much better as it is a good song.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It was only released today though, it hadn't been released as a real single or previously available on iTunes etc.

Not sure how you can measure that.

We will see about the album, but I am not convinced a Mark solo album will ever do that well. His core fan base are very loyal and are loving this era. I know I have had the CD on repeat since Friday and I just hope that Mark is happy with the results and it sells well enough to encourage him to keep going.

Mind you, he kept going with HTMF even when he was selling tiny amounts.
  • musicjukebox123musicjukebox123 Posts: 745
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    What you have to remember though is Stars can be bought from - TAODN album, TAODN album deluxe as well as Stars - single so all three are added together along with amazon and physicals for the final result so ITunes might be deceptive.

The same goes for the album being in two formats they'll all be added together too.
    Forum Member
    His lack of solo success only proves that he is a complete after thought in the success of Take That.

I would love to see Howard & Jason release something solo just to see how many TT fans actually care about the individual members outwith Barlow & of course Williams.
  • ashtray88ashtray88 Posts: 1,531
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Wow, this is so much better than his old solo stuff. He seems to have gone in the same direction as Take That and become more credible.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    His lack of solo success only proves that he is a complete after thought in the success of Take That.

I would love to see Howard & Jason release something solo just to see how many TT fans actually care about the individual members outwith Barlow & of course Williams.

Not quite sure what you are meaning.

Being a TT fan doesn't mean you do follow the careers of the individual members. Mark has his own, much smaller, fanbase outside of TT.

There are many TT fans who despise Robbie and loved them as a four piece. And Robbie fans who don't follow
    TT.

Marks fanbase is much smaller as some people love his voice and his quirky lyrics, some hate it. Normally the same who love his leads in TT love his solo work. But I have also seen a lot of people on the TT forums who love his solo work and hate his work with TT and the opposite as well.
    Forum Member
    Not quite sure what you are meaning.

Being a TT fan doesn't mean you do follow the careers of the individual members. Mark has his own, much smaller, fanbase outside of TT.

There are many TT fans who despise Robbie and loved them as a four piece. And Robbie fans who don't follow
    TT.

Marks fanbase is much smaller as some people love his voice and his quirky lyrics, some hate it. Normally the same who love his leads in TT love his solo work. But I have also seen a lot of people on the TT forums who love his solo work and hate his work with TT and the opposite as well.

I think the chances of whoever buys his solo stuff not being a TT fan is VERY slim.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,379
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think it's great and instantly catchy/memorable with an interesting video.

The video is just like Moby's Stars!!!!!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think the chances of whoever buys his solo stuff not being a TT fan is VERY slim.

Not really, I know a few fans from various forums who only download the Mark tracks and ignore any others.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    His music is quiet different to Take That so i would guess there are definitely Mark Owen fans who are not Take That fans.