214 in 2014

Comments

• rwouldrwould Posts: 5,260
    Forum Member
    A book a week over the whole year probably seems about right.

But I have been reading far too much already this year. I blame the Amazon Kindle books sale,....

(1) Dead Men's Dust by Matt Hilton
    (2) Judgement And Wrath by Matt Hilton
    (3) Slash And Burn by Matt Hilton
    (4) Bring Him Back by Scott Mariani

Not sure on what I think on the Matt Hilton books. His character is not as likable as Jack Reacher or Ben Hope from the Mariani novels.
  • OxfordGirlOxfordGirl Posts: 3,122
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    5) Sarah Waters - Fingersmith
  • Cellar_DoorCellar_Door Posts: 2,275
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    3. The Tiny Wife - Andrew Kaufman. Short at 88 pages, but a freebie on iBooks this week so worth a punt. A group of people caught up in a bank robbery are forced to give up an item of sentimental value and weirdness ensues.
  • sradiasradia Posts: 940
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    2) Sense and Sensibility - Jane Austen
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 113
    Forum Member
    2. The Hobbit - J. R. R. Tolkien

I have read this years ago, but decided to re-read it after watching the first film. I really enjoyed it and may try the Lord of the Rings books this year as I haven't read them before.
  • Wayne814Wayne814 Posts: 1,722
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Going to set myself a target of 30 this year, only managed 20 last year but that was poor for me.

1 - Private LA - James Patterson & Mark Sullivan
  • *Eileen**Eileen* Posts: 9,881
    Forum Member
    Not sure how many I am aiming for, I read a lot but have never kept track of exactly how many books I do read and haven't participated in these threads before. I guess I read at least 2 books a week so will go for a conservative estimate of 100, but suspect it will end up being a lot more than that :)

1: Flood - Stephen Baxter
    2: Ark - Stephen Baxter.

I've been reading quite a bit of Baxter recently after meeting him along with Terry Pratchett when they were in London last year, I like his 're-invented' history approach - I particularly enjoyed his Northland trilogy which I read a couple of months back where he imagines what the world would be like if the sea hadn't encroached, between England and mainland Europe. He does his scientific research very well with these types of books and 'Flood' and 'Ark' explore what might happen if the sea levels rose significantly and much of the Earth was to get completely flooded.
  • d0lphind0lphin Posts: 25,353
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    *Eileen* wrote: »
    Not sure how many I am aiming for, I read a lot but have never kept track of exactly how many books I do read and haven't participated in these threads before. I guess I read at least 2 books a week so will go for a conservative estimate of 100, but suspect it will end up being a lot more than that :)

1: Flood - Stephen Baxter
    2: Ark - Stephen Baxter.

I've been reading quite a bit of Baxter recently after meeting him along with Terry Pratchett when they were in London last year, I like his 're-invented' history approach - I particularly enjoyed his Northland trilogy which I read a couple of months back where he imagines what the world would be like if the sea hadn't encroached, between England and mainland Europe. He does his scientific research very well with these types of books and 'Flood' and 'Ark' explore what might happen if the sea levels rose significantly and much of the Earth was to get completely flooded.

They sound like really interesting books! I have added one to my Amazon wishlist to see if I like the author :)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 108
    Forum Member
    I aimed for 50 last year and managed 29. I lost it in the middle of the year where I just stopped reading.

This year I'll aim for 50 once more. I have so many books on my shelf that need getting through.
  • *Eileen**Eileen* Posts: 9,881
    Forum Member
    d0lphin wrote: »
    They sound like really interesting books! I have added one to my Amazon wishlist to see if I like the author :)

I personally enjoyed the 3 Northland books better than I did Flood and Ark, though they were OK :) I've also downloaded the first of his Time Tapestry series which sounds interesting, going to read a few by other authors first though before going back to Baxter :) I've read quite a bit of his more SciFi stuff as well.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 107
    Forum Member
    I want to aim for 50 books this year.

So far....

(I am counting anything from the 25 Dec onwards).

1) The night before Christmas - Scarlett Bailey
    2) Just for Christmas - Scarlett Bailey
    3) Christmas at Rose Hopkins Sweet Shop - Jenny Colgan
    4) Christmas at the Cupcake Cafe - Jenny Colgan
    5) Calling Mrs Christmas - Carole Matthews
    6) With Love at Christmas - Carole Matthews
    7) Whole Lot of History - Kimberly Walsh Biog
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    6) Missing In Malmo - Torquil MacLeod

Have really enjoyed these books - this one is the 3rd. Good Swedish detective dramas but with a British slant to them
  • rwouldrwould Posts: 5,260
    Forum Member
    (5) Cut and Run by Matt Hilton
    (6) The Long Walk by Slavomir Rawicz
  • Katie-JaneKatie-Jane Posts: 1,168
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    2) Bridget Jones: Mad About the Boy by Helen Fielding
  • Sue_CSue_C Posts: 1,469
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    3. The Tooth Tattoo by Peter Lovesey. Audiobook narrated by Michael Tudor Barnes.
    Peter Diamond is my favourite fictional detective and I think that this latest book is one of the best of the series. A badly decomposed body is recovered from a canal in Bath. The death could be the result of an accident or suicide but Diamond suspects murder, and a major incident investigation gets underway. Soon Bath CID are investigating three murders. At around the same time viola player Mel Farran receives a mysterious approach to join a renowned string quartet. An excellent whodunnit with believable characters, it's also an interesting look into the world of classical musicians, and there's a good Agatha Christie style reveal at the end.
  • Cellar_DoorCellar_Door Posts: 2,275
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    4. Ooh what a lovely pair - Ant & Dec bio. Nice light read.
  • sradiasradia Posts: 940
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    3) The perfect Husband - Lisa Gardner

Really enjoyable formulaic thriller.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 113
    Forum Member
    3)The Graft - Martina Cole

Took me a while to get into it, but once I did I enjoyed it.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 178
    Forum Member
    3. With or Without You by Carole Matthews.

This wasn't a great read but a nice enough book to pass the time. I would give it extra marks for the wonderful setting of Nepal. But the actual storyline was a bit dull.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    7) I, Partridge: We need to talk about Alan - Alan Partridge

8) Emergency: Wife Lost and Found - Carol Marinelli
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 108
    Forum Member
    1. The Last 10 Seconds, Simon Kernick
  • SWW (SWW)SWW (SWW) Posts: 23,514
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    SWW (SWW) wrote: »
    6. Weird Things Customers Say In Bookshops - Jen Campbell 7/10
    Constable (Constable & Robinson), 121 pages
    <Comedy documentary>
    Genuinely laugh out loud funny.

7. Witchblade 2004-2005 - Ron Marz, Mike Choi, David Wohl, Francis Manapaul and more 7/10
    Top Cow [Image Comics], 709 pages
    <Graphic Novel> Witchblade #72-92 and 7 specials! Marz and go start pushing the boundaries as Sara is forced to start really looking at what the Witchblade is, culminating in the 'origin' story. Sees new cast members like Gleason and The Curator.
    8. Witchblade 2006-2007 - Ron Marz, Leah Moore etc 6/10
    Top Cow [Image Comics], 673 pages
    <Graphic Novel> Witchblade #93-112, Shades of Gray #1-4, a few specials and First Born #0-3. Huge year for the character piloted by Marz, as a special new guest results in big changes for Sara and the Witchblade... culminating in the big event in the First Born arcs.
    9. Witchblade 2008-2009 - Ron Marz, Stjepan Sedic, Phil Hester etc. 7/10
    Top Cow [Image Comics], 770 pages
    <Graphic Novel> Witchblade #113-133, Broken Trinity, Witchblade Devi #1-2 and Annual #1.. Tough couple of years for Sara Pezzini as the splitting of the Witchblade proves to have repercussions.
    10. Witchblade 2009-2010 - Ron Marz, Stjepan Sedic, Phil Hester etc. 7/10
    Top Cow [Image Comics], 454 pages
    <Graphic Novel> Witchblade #134-150, Top Cow Special and Annual #2.. The end of the Ron Marz era, also sees the end of a significant era for Sara.

11. The Darkness 2008-2009 - Phil Hester, Michael Broussard etc 7/10
    Top Cow [Image Comics], 386 pages
    <Graphic Novel> The Darkness (volume three) #65-81. Hester's critically acclaimed remaking of The Darkness series takes Jackie away from his Mafia roots.
    12. The Darkness 2010-2011 - Phil Hester, Michael Broussard etc 7/10
    Top Cow [Image Comics], 315 pages
    <Graphic Novel> The Darkness (volume three) #82-96. 2010 sees the wrapping up of the Sovereign arcs, only to see in 2011, that the Darkness itself had been making plans for Jackie Estacado.

13. Too Far - Rich Shapero 3/10
    Outside Reading, 244 pages
    <Fantasy Horror>
    Although certainly well written, Shapero's tale of two six year olds forming a friendship and imaginary world away from their own dysfunctional families missies the spot for me, as Shapero is unable to convey children's 'voices' say like Emma does so well in 'Room'. Interesting also as this book is actually partnered with musical and art compositions by Shapero.

14. Poirot Investigates - Agatha Christie 4/10
    Harper (HarperCollins), 265 pages
    <Detective> Re-read of the third Poirot book, which is a collection of short stories on cases as being retold by the ever gnarly Captain Hastings. These little mysteries are OK, but it is the blatant lack of vanity of Poirot and Hastings reactions to it, that makes this a good read.
  • Button62Button62 Posts: 8,463
    Forum Member
    1. Dead Man's Time - Peter James
    2. The Survivor - Gregg Hurwitz
    3. The Cold Nowhere - Brian Freeman
    4. The Last to Die - Beverly Barton
    5. The Reapers - John Connolly

I have just finished an 11 day New Year break, so won't be keeping up this pace !

Target as always is 52.
  • CamisCamis Posts: 13,549
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    My aim for this year is 50 books

1. The Luxury of Time - Jane and Mike Tomlinson
    2. Itch - Simon Mayo
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    9) Michael Connelly - The Black Box