Options

Masterchef 2014 - it's here

Comments

• Options
    mimik1ukmimik1uk Posts: 46,701
    Forum Member
    si29uk wrote: »
    Ah the joys of TV food shows.

As someone with a little experience of this, I was asked to say most things in 2 or 3 different ways in order to give them choice in the edit. It was all variations on a theme - but they did want a variety of expressions of the same thought.

I can easily imagine that Jack said something like 'It was inspired by something that I ate' or 'I tried this at Tom Kitchin's and thought I would do my own take on it' - and they used the version that eventually went to air.

The power of the edit to create a 'narrative'....

not disagreeing and accept those things happen , was just commenting on what was said on the broadcast
  • Options
    lammtarralammtarra Posts: 4,340
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    mimik1uk wrote: »
    not disagreeing and accept those things happen , was just commenting on what was said on the broadcast

Of course, we must also remember Jack is an amateur cooking a single starter once on television. Tom Kitchin might well be more miffed if a rival top chef/restauraueur "was inspired by" his entire menu.
  • Options
    JayinthegardenJayinthegarden Posts: 1,194
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I saw it, and I saw one of the judges cut it. It even wobbled :D ( the panna cotta not the judge :D )
  • Options
    CamisCamis Posts: 13,552
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It must have been a minute panacotta then!

I can see the foam air between the tuiles but I don't where there was room for panacotta below it. At no time did I see any footage of a panacotta being produced, it just made mecurious as it was the central component of her dish.

I'll stick my neck out and say, it looked fine at the time of serving, but had disintegrated by the time Shrek and Toad had scripted their critiques (which must be fairly lengthy for the final as they have match comments to the decision), and so it was left unshown for editorial reasons.

I think the pannacotta was actually set in the bottom of the bowl - I seem to remember one of the judges digging down to get a spoonful. Although it looked like a plate, I think there was a hollow in the middle.
  • Options
    lammtarralammtarra Posts: 4,340
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Camis wrote: »
    I think the pannacotta was actually set in the bottom of the bowl - I seem to remember one of the judges digging down to get a spoonful. Although it looked like a plate, I think there was a hollow in the middle.

Yes, I think that is correct. Did we not see similar bowls earlier in the series, perhaps in Adam's restaurant kitchen?
  • Options
    lundavralundavra Posts: 31,790
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    lammtarra wrote: »
    Yes, I think that is correct. Did we not see similar bowls earlier in the series, perhaps in Adam's restaurant kitchen?

They seem to have become a fashion, didn't earlier in the series one person talk of hiding something like panacotta in one so it was only found when they had moved/eaten what was on top?
  • Options
    GodAtumGodAtum Posts: 552
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    anyone with an Amex card can get this :)
    American Express Invites® is offering you presale tickets to meet the champions and finalists, plus taste the dishes inspired by the MasterChef journey.

Throughout September 2014, a MasterChef Pop-Up Restaurant & Bar will open in central London, giving guests the opportunity to meet the chefs made famous by the series and enjoy some of the delicious dishes inspired by the show.

With stunning views over the central London skyline, the MasterChef Restaurant & Bar will feature 12 MasterChef champions and other professionals and celebrities from the MasterChef family over four weeks. Serving an exciting range of lunches, dinners, weekend brunches and tasting menus. Don't miss out on what promises to be one of the most talked about restaurants of the year.

Presale tickets on sale from 19 May until 25 May 2014.1
    General sale from 26 May 2014.
  • Options
    macsmurraymacsmurray Posts: 2,134
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I just watched the final week on catchup. Work commitments damn you! The Barcelona episode was excellent, yet strangely almost devoid of Tweedledum and Tweedledumber. Coincidence I wonder?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ping is on The One Show tonight
  • Options
    Bob_WhingerBob_Whinger Posts: 1,098
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    lundavra wrote: »
    Ping is on The One Show tonight

She was only on the show for four minutes.

I watched to especially see Ping. One of the best chefs I have seen.
  • Options
    si29uksi29uk Posts: 1,286
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    lundavra wrote: »
    They seem to have become a fashion, didn't earlier in the series one person talk of hiding something like panacotta in one so it was only found when they had moved/eaten what was on top?

The other bonus of using that sort of dish for a pannacotta is that it is a little more forgiving in that you don't have to unmould it to serve it!! So a less than perfect pannacotta can be served with people not noticing if it hasn't quite got the perfect wobble.

Not saying this was the case with Ping's version - but it certainly can help!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    si29uk wrote: »
    The other bonus of using that sort of dish for a pannacotta is that it is a little more forgiving in that you don't have to unmould it to serve it!! So a less than perfect pannacotta can be served with people not noticing if it hasn't quite got the perfect wobble.

Not saying this was the case with Ping's version - but it certainly can help!

Also not much room for a smear ...
  • Options
    si29uksi29uk Posts: 1,286
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Which is more acceptable... a smear or a swipe??
  • Options
    Stereophonic83Stereophonic83 Posts: 501
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    From Ping's appearances on BBC breakfast yesterday and The One Show did she give any indication what she has been doing since the show finished given that it will have been several months?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    From Ping's appearances on BBC breakfast yesterday and The One Show did she give any indication what she has been doing since the show finished given that it will have been several months?
    Probably keeping her head down and trying to not give any clues to having won!
  • Options
    Kiko H FanKiko H Fan Posts: 6,546
    Forum Member
    It's probably been asked before, but do they actually WIN any tangible prize, apart from a trophy that looks like an electric cooker ring?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Kiko H Fan wrote: »
    It's probably been asked before, but do they actually WIN any tangible prize, apart from a trophy that looks like an electric cooker ring?

Many BBC programmes just have some sort of trophy as the prize, Masterchef of course opens up lots of opportunities for the winner (and finalists).
  • Options
    BarbraBarbra Posts: 15,581
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Christopher Biggins, JLS singer JB, model Jodie Kidd and former soap star Todd Carty are among the celebrities taking part in Celebrity MasterChef this year.

Made In Chelsea's Millie Macintosh, actress Leslie Ash and former Coronation Street star Ken Morley have also signed up to be judged by hosts John Torode and Gregg Wallace.

Read more: http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/tv/s127/masterchef/news/a573175/christopher-biggins-jls-jb-jodie-kidd-in-celebrity-masterchef-lineup.html#~oFbgCLEjAqSSVo#ixzz32dPpheaX
    Follow us: @digitalspy on Twitter | digitalspyuk on Facebook
  • Options
    saladcreamsaladcream Posts: 751
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    my application is in!
  • Options
    BarbraBarbra Posts: 15,581
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I see a devil in the post :o
  • Options
    saladcreamsaladcream Posts: 751
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    hmmmm wonder if thats a good sign or a bad one!!!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 128
    Forum Member
    I thought the final was a damp squib, apart from Ping's amazing looking food. Who normally judges the final? I had a expected to see some proper professional judges.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 128
    Forum Member
    I thought the final was a damp squib, apart from Ping's amazing looking food. Who normally judges the final? I had a expected to see some proper professional judges.
  • Options
    jerseyporterjerseyporter Posts: 2,332
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

BIB - John and Gregg, as has been the case with the 'normal' version of MC right from the first series. :)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 744
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The final week has disappeared both off my planner and the iPlayer. Anyone know where I could find this to watch? Or if it's even worth watching?