Options

The Ratings Thread (Part 61)

Comments

• Options
    NeilVWNeilVW Posts: 8,635
    Forum Member
    Posted by Duncan on the Gallifrey Base forum, regarding the official for "Deep Breath":
    2.38m - pv timeshift

Third highest pv timeshift ever (for Who), beaten only by 'Day' (2.62m) and 'Time' (2.85m).

Highest pv timeshift for a regular episode and for a series opener, ahead of 'The Impossible Astronaut' with 2.34m.

Third highest series opener, after 'Rose' (10.81m) and 'The Eleventh Hour' (10.08m). Just pips 'Partners in Crime' (9.14m).

All of the remaining six series and mid-series openers were under 9m.

Doctor Who has been 1st for the week four times ('Journeys End', both parts of 'The End of Time', and 'Day'). This is Who's fourth 2nd placement (along with 'Voyage', 'Stolen Earth', and 'Next Doctor').
  • Options
    Zac QuinnZac Quinn Posts: 5,172
    Forum Member
    mossy2103 wrote: »
    However, some of us didn't believe that DW really needed "saving" after the Matt Smith era!

No, indeed, I read one comment last night claiming that Capaldi's Doctor was "making the show too serious" and that it "isn't funny any more". Which frankly sounds to me like they didn't watch either of the last two episodes, or indeed much of Matt Smith's era, but y'know. Opinions.
  • Options
    D.M.N.D.M.N. Posts: 34,172
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-29002263

Two inaccuracies:

1) Doctor Who didn't drop 2 million week-on-week, it appears they're comparing peak vs peak here
    2) the article implies that Corrie is airing on a Saturday, which obviously isn't happening
  • Options
    Roscoe BarnesRoscoe Barnes Posts: 6,360
    Forum Member
    However, some of us didn't believe that DW really needed "saving" after the Matt Smith era!

Just to clarify. I didn't think it needed saving. I loved the Matt Smith era.
  • Options
    mossy2103mossy2103 Posts: 84,308
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just to clarify. I didn't think it needed saving. I loved the Matt Smith era.
    No problem, I didn't take it any other way, :)

My reply was an open one to those others who seemed to dislike the Matt Smith era.
  • Options
    H of De VilH of De Vil Posts: 26,539
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Re: Samuel you were talking about the lead in for The X Factor being wasted, well if you remember for the last couple of years ITV have put new programmes before XF and they have flopped, thus pulling down XF ratings. The ratio of success to failure with ITV gameshows around their big hits is awful.

The lead out from BGT had Amazing Grey's which flopped big time and wasted that slot even more. If ITV are not going to move a flop, then they're better off putting a known 'hit' before and after their big shows. However I think Keyhole could have been saved until next year to air in January, with The X Factor lead out given to a drama. I think Scott & Bailey would be a good fit for Saturday after XF at 9:30pm. ITV feature too much LE on Saturday's.
  • Options
    Glenn AGlenn A Posts: 23,877
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    jda135 wrote: »
    Nice numbers for X Factor. It'll probably drop over the next few weeks though. Tumble will be axed, as many predicted. Disappointing for Through the Keyhole, but pretty good for the Celeb Chase.

Rising Star sank in Germany last night. 1.75m (7.0%) in overall viewers, with 1.09m (12.6%) in the key 14-49 demo.

There was a bit of controversy too. Some of the acts complained that the producers made their song choice for them. They stated this after they were criticised for their song choices by the jury. RTL has refuted the claims.

Also, The Voice of Holland returned on RTL4 in Holland on Friday night. It won the night with 2.09m, but it was the lowest rating series launch since series 1.

Furchtbar, as they would say in Germany. This would work out at 1.4 million over here, even less than what BB gets on a good night.
  • Options
    AlbacomAlbacom Posts: 34,578
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No problem, I didn't take it any other way, :)

My reply was an open one to those others who seemed to dislike the Matt Smith era.

The thing I have with people disliking a certain doctor's era is that they are not "getting" the show! They are watching the same programme. Of course not everyone will like every actor to play the Doctor but the basis is exactly the same. The only difference is the personality of the Doctor.
  • Options
    H of De VilH of De Vil Posts: 26,539
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Based on The X Factor's good return figure, it does give me hope that new programmes on ITV this week will debut with good figures.

Fingers crossed Paul O' Grady For The Love of Dogs is around 5m.

Its unusual to see a rating on ITV with over 8m. For the last month of two we've had either below 3m or 7m at the most for Corrie.
  • Options
    Glenn AGlenn A Posts: 23,877
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Based on The X Factor's good return figure, it does give me hope that new programmes on ITV this week will debut with good figures.

Its unusual to see a rating on ITV with over 8m. For the last month of two we've had either below 3m or 7m at the most for Corrie.

ITV has had a lousy summer. Even the soaps haven't delivered and their schedule has been threadbare and boring. I think this must be the weakest summer they've had since 2006 when ratings fell to 11 per cent.
  • Options
    AlbacomAlbacom Posts: 34,578
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Fear not H! I'm sure ITV will be fine. People are not suddenly just going to forget it exists! As last night showed, put up a half decent schedule and people will watch. POG's Dogs will do fine - 4.5m - 5.2m I reckon!
  • Options
    BushmillsBushmills Posts: 2,276
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    SamuelW wrote: »
    I did say last week that the BBC were no longer supporting the show from this week onwards. It was just a filler series.

From "biggest new entertainment show of the year" to "filler series" within a month.
  • Options
    cylon6cylon6 Posts: 25,486
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    jda135 wrote: »
    Nice numbers for X Factor. It'll probably drop over the next few weeks though. Tumble will be axed, as many predicted. Disappointing for Through the Keyhole, but pretty good for the Celeb Chase.

Rising Star sank in Germany last night. 1.75m (7.0%) in overall viewers, with 1.09m (12.6%) in the key 14-49 demo.

There was a bit of controversy too. Some of the acts complained that the producers made their song choice for them. They stated this after they were criticised for their song choices by the jury. RTL has refuted the claims.

Also, The Voice of Holland returned on RTL4 in Holland on Friday night. It won the night with 2.09m, but it was the lowest rating series launch since series 1.
    Rising Star could still be a hit here, but if I was ITV I'd be nervous after seeing its less than stellar performance in other countries.
  • Options
    yorkie100yorkie100 Posts: 9,372
    Forum Member

People have to come back to television at some time but ITVs summer woes should not be forgotten. Even a smash hit XF is not going to make up for what they have inflicted on us recently.
  • Options
    rr22rr22 Posts: 7,631
    Forum Member
    How would "Doctor Who" cope with stripped scheduling once the kids went back to school. Perhaps they could have had the first 6 parts every evening at 7pm against the soaps leading to Saturday the 27th for a weekly slot for the rest of the series with "Strictly Come Dancing" but maybe too much for the non sci fi viewers and maybe too wasteful of the series launch against the soaps.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    johnnymc wrote: »
    How would "Doctor Who" cope with stripped scheduling once the kids went back to school. Perhaps they could have had the first 6 parts every evening at 7pm against the soaps leading to Saturday the 27th for a weekly slot for the rest of the series with "Strictly Come Dancing" but maybe too much for the non sci fi viewers and maybe too wasteful of the series launch against the soaps.

Throwing Doctor Who against Coronation Street would bring back unhappy memories for some.
  • Options
    welshfoxywelshfoxy Posts: 6,985
    Forum Member
    Nice write up here Samuel, well done http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-29002263
  • Options
    Forum Member
    NeilVW wrote: »
    Throwing Doctor Who against Coronation Street would bring back unhappy memories for some.

Yeah I guess so. I just wondered if it would have increased viewer loyalty to it rather than having to wait a week to get into the series.
  • Options
    SamuelWSamuelW Posts: 8,447
    Forum Member
    Re: Samuel you were talking about the lead in for The X Factor being wasted, well if you remember for the last couple of years ITV have put new programmes before XF and they have flopped, thus pulling down XF ratings. The ratio of success to failure with ITV gameshows around their big hits is awful.

The lead out from BGT had Amazing Grey's which flopped big time and wasted that slot even more. If ITV are not going to move a flop, then they're better off putting a known 'hit' before and after their big shows. However I think Keyhole could have been saved until next year to air in January, with The X Factor lead out given to a drama. I think Scott & Bailey would be a good fit for Saturday after XF at 9:30pm. ITV feature too much LE on Saturday's.
    Itv cannot afford to air a drama on Saturday nights because of their budget restraints. They save drama for Sundays and midweek. On Saturdays they can only really afford to have one big entertainment show in the schedule surrounded by mainly cheap shows and filler.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    And not only ruin Doctor Who's potential for delayed viewing, but leave BBC One Saturday nights reliant on rubbish like Atlantis that rates 2/3m lower on overnights and 4/5m lower on finals. Or even worse, Tumble. What an excellent idea. :p
  • Options
    jonnyblackjonnyblack Posts: 897
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    SamuelW wrote: »
    Itv cannot afford to air a drama on Saturday nights because of their budget restraints. They save drama for Sundays and midweek. On Saturdays they can only really afford to have one big entertainment show in the schedule surrounded by mainly cheap shows and filler.

I thought ITV had announced plans for big family drama on Saturday nights again?
  • Options
    sheepiefarmsheepiefarm Posts: 27,589
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    yorkie100 wrote: »
    People have to come back to television at some time but ITVs summer woes should not be forgotten. Even a smash hit XF is not going to make up for what they have inflicted on us recently.
    Have they ever really gone away?
    Are they not just scattered around the tv channels more or watching on catch-up services more?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    "The Great British Bake Off" had perked up BBC one weekly schedule. Apart from that there seems to be no new initiatives. I'd like to see more ideas going in the week and not just the same repeated schedule. I am wondering if the Trust will have any effect on it. The 7pm slot is needing some attention.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    The 7pm slot is needing some attention.

Is it? The One Show is dirt cheap, gets in a decent if unspectacular audience, is absolutely invaluable for cross-promotion, and features a wide enough range of features to cater variously for most of the ever-growing audience disullosioned with soaps. There are many slots across BBC One's week which need attention, but I'd certainly not list 7pm amongst them.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Have they ever really gone away?
    Are they not just scattered around the tv channels more or watching on catch-up services more?

Yes, a lot have gone away. The total TV audience always falls in summer (away from big sporting events) but this one has seen some near-record, if not outright record lows.
This discussion has been closed.