Options

Songs where the Lyrics just wind you up

Comments

• Options
    Residents FanResidents Fan Posts: 9,204
    Forum Member
    That line works brilliantly for me. It hints at a cosy image of First World Christmases (at least in the northern hemisphere :D), and contrasts it with the arid climate of famine stricken lands. For snow read rain, water - same thing. All that in nine words.

I don't think Christmas has much to do with religion for many of those who celebrate it, it's more about overindulgence. So no contradiction there.

Yes, especially in the 1980s, celebrating Christmas had more to do with
    acquiring consumer goods than religious ceremonies or being with
    friends and family. So it works.

Such a shame Bono eventually decided the way to solve world
    poverty was to suck up to Bush and Blair:... :(
  • Options
    mimicolemimicole Posts: 50,999
    Forum Member
    KikiDafuq wrote: »
    He About to Lose me by Britney, for the missing 's.

Agree with this one....which also reminds me of:

"steaming like a pot full of vegetables" from "(Drop Dead) Beauitful".

I love Britney, but that lyric is terrible. Granted, she didn't write it, Sabi did. But still...she should know better.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    KikiDafuq wrote: »
    He About to Lose me by Britney, for the missing 's.

Britney lost me from her first song. :D
  • Options
    LaVieEnRoseLaVieEnRose Posts: 12,836
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Such a shame Bono eventually decided the way to solve world poverty was to suck up to Bush and Blair:... :(

Let's hope he had a long spoon :D
  • Options
    Brummie Girl Brummie Girl Posts: 22,702
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    That indeed is quite an irritating line. But to be fair, "Do They Know it's Christmas?" was written (apparently in a rush) to raise money for charity. There's a Christmas song from that time period whose lyrics wind me up a lot more than that one... Wham!'s "Last Christmas"

It's part of every Christmas playlist due to having been the top seller of (I think) Xmas '84. It got there mainly because of Wham!'s massive teen popularity, the song itself - underwhelming tune, annoying sleigh bell sound effects - is so overrated!

Last Christmas
    I gave you my heart

The very next day
    You gave it away

The problem with "the very next day" bit, is it makes last "Christmas" to be the day itself - Christmas day. So George pulled on Christmas day and got dumped on Boxing day - how unrealistic is that!!

This year
    To save me from fear
    I'll give it to someone special

Pathetic rhyming, and poor George still hasn't learned that trying to score with a chick on Christmas day is not very likely to lead to him finding someone "special". He'd probably be better off enjoying himself with his family and having drunken sing songs with his granny like they do in the classic Christmas songs

It was the second biggest seller of 1984 behind Do They Know Its Christmas? and is also the biggest selling single in UK chart history not to reach No1 (as it got stuck behind Band Aid) but all proceeds from the single went to the Band Aid Charity.

Also I thought the lyric was:

This year to save me from tears I'll give it to someone special

But yes the girl seems to be a bit of a player by playing with George's heart and then buggering off the next day. In the video she is with Andrew so she probably did the same to him to
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Oh I don't see it like that! I see it as he committed to her on Christmas day and the next day she cheated on him.

Me too! I think he caught her snogging somebody under the mistletoe ...
  • Options
    laineythenomadlaineythenomad Posts: 3,495
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ah yes, even worse! She didn't just dump him on Boxing day but cheated on him as well, the shameless hussy!!

It's not helped by that very annoying promo video, either, where they all go tobogganing in Smashie and Nicey jumpers. The events just strike me as not being very authentic for what's normally a cosy, maybe a bit boring, winter traditional family time.

And the tune was a blatant copy of Daydreamer by David Cassidy - I was the only person in the universe who noticed it at the time!!

0.28 onwards:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yKukFhUQPLQ
  • Options
    mimicolemimicole Posts: 50,999
    Forum Member
    "I sneezed on the beat and the beat got sicko" - Yonce - Beyonce

sorry, that's a terrible lyric in my opinion.
  • Options
    GiraffeGirlGiraffeGirl Posts: 13,619
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Ah yes, even worse! She didn't just dump him on Boxing day but cheated on him as well, the shameless hussy!!

It's not helped by that very annoying promo video, either, where they all go tobogganing in Smashie and Nicey jumpers. The events just strike me as not being very authentic for what's normally a cosy, maybe a bit boring, winter traditional family time.

It's my favourite Christmas song! I actually sometimes listen to it when it's not Christmas :D

Love Wham! And George Michael.
  • Options
    cnbcwatchercnbcwatcher Posts: 56,681
    Forum Member
    Britney lost me from her first song. :D

I take it you don't like her then? :(
  • Options
    scratchy23scratchy23 Posts: 3,675
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    mimicole wrote: »
    "I sneezed on the beat and the beat got sicko" - Yonce - Beyonce

sorry, that's a terrible lyric in my opinion.

It's actually 'sicker' but still shit regardless.
  • Options
    Chris1964Chris1964 Posts: 19,812
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    That indeed is quite an irritating line. But to be fair, "Do They Know it's Christmas?" was written (apparently in a rush) to raise money for charity. There's a Christmas song from that time period whose lyrics wind me up a lot more than that one... Wham!'s "Last Christmas"

It's part of every Christmas playlist due to having been the top seller of (I think) Xmas '84. It got there mainly because of Wham!'s massive teen popularity, the song itself - underwhelming tune, annoying sleigh bell sound effects - is so overrated!

Last Christmas
    I gave you my heart

The very next day
    You gave it away

The problem with "the very next day" bit, is it makes last "Christmas" to be the day itself - Christmas day. So George pulled on Christmas day and got dumped on Boxing day - how unrealistic is that!!

This year
    To save me from fear
    I'll give it to someone special

Pathetic rhyming, and poor George still hasn't learned that trying to score with a chick on Christmas day is not very likely to lead to him finding someone "special". He'd probably be better off enjoying himself with his family and having drunken sing songs with his granny like they do in the classic Christmas songs

Whilst accepting this is a very good analysis and relevant to a thread like this, I don't imagine many people have ever really gone too deeply into the ifs and buts of Last Christmas-especially after a few glasses of wine at a Christmas Party.

EDIT: Arguably the unluckiest song ever in chart stats terms, an absolute cast iron number one on week of release-but denied by events. A release date a week earlier and surely Frankie Goes to Hollywood would have been denied their three in a row feat with The Power of Love.
  • Options
    laineythenomadlaineythenomad Posts: 3,495
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It was the second biggest seller of 1984 behind Do They Know Its Christmas? and is also the biggest selling single in UK chart history not to reach No1 (as it got stuck behind Band Aid) but all proceeds from the single went to the Band Aid Charity.

Also I thought the lyric was:

This year to save me from tears I'll give it to someone special

But yes the girl seems to be a bit of a player by playing with George's heart and then buggering off the next day. In the video she is with Andrew so she probably did the same to him to

Popularity is not a test of merit. Otherwise Mr Blobby and the like would not have got into the charts, let alone reached number one.

ETA: Not a specific lyric, but songs from the 60's/early 70's such as Lady D'Arbanville by Cat Stevens and Jennifer Juniper by Donovan really wind me up because they are basically songs about groupies and/or what would nowadays be referred to as "sluts". Yet they romanticise these women as though they were perfect ladies and a cut above the rest of us. Sorry, but it's always been a gripe of mine :blush:>:(
  • Options
    misslibertinemisslibertine Posts: 14,306
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Popularity is not a test of merit. Otherwise Mr Blobby and the like would not have got into the charts, let alone reached number one.

ETA: Not a specific lyric, but songs from the 60's/early 70's such as Lady D'Arbanville by Cat Stevens and Jennifer Juniper by Donovan really wind me up because they are basically songs about groupies and/or what would nowadays be referred to as "sluts". Yet they romanticise these women as though they were perfect ladies and a cut above the rest of us. Sorry, but it's always been a gripe of mine :blush:>:(

I see your point, but I don't know if those two are the songs I would have used to make it - I've read a few times, from the people involved, that Cat and Patti D'Arbanville were in a fairly serious relationship, and Jennifer Juniper was written about Jenny Boyd who Donovan had a relatively long-term relationship with. Far more than just "groupies" anyway.
  • Options
    ZipMasonZipMason Posts: 140
    Forum Member
    Katy Perry - California Girls

Which is a shame, as I normally love anything by Katy Perry. :(
  • Options
    Cassie..Cassie.. Posts: 3,504
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Katy Perry - Firework

" Do you ever feel like a plastic bag?"

Can't say I ever have.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Not a specific lyric, but songs from the 60's/early 70's such as Lady D'Arbanville by Cat Stevens and Jennifer Juniper by Donovan really wind me up because they are basically songs about groupies and/or what would nowadays be referred to as "sluts". Yet they romanticise these women as though they were perfect ladies and a cut above the rest of us. Sorry, but it's always been a gripe of mine :blush:>:(

Speaking generally, I don't think such songs are always literally "about" specific people - often it's just that a name is the inspiration for a song.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 12,982
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Cassie.. wrote: »
    Katy Perry - Firework

" Do you ever feel like a plastic bag?"

Can't say I ever have.

I think she means like a plastic bag blowing around in the breeze, i.e. pointless/forgotten/invisible.
  • Options
    misslibertinemisslibertine Posts: 14,306
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Citadel wrote: »
    I think she means like a plastic bag blowing around in the breeze, i.e. pointless/forgotten/invisible.

I remember reading somewhere that it was in reference to the scene from American Beauty, but I don't remember where so I don't know how accurate that is.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I take it you don't like her then? :(

I'm afraid I've never been a Spears fan.
  • Options
    SuperAPJSuperAPJ Posts: 10,402
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Jennifer Lopez with "If even if you were broke, my love don't cost a thing."

Ignoring the obvious grammatical error with 'don't' (we could probably dedicate a whole thread to bad grammar in R'n'B songs!)...

It should either be "Even if you are broke...." or "...my love wouldn't cost a thing".
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 12,982
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    SuperAPJ wrote: »
    Jennifer Lopez with "If even if you were broke, my love don't cost a thing."

Ignoring the obvious grammatical error with 'don't' (we could probably dedicate a whole thread to bad grammar in R'n'B songs!)...

It should either be "Even if you are broke...." or "...my love wouldn't cost a thing".

And not forgetting of course... why would he care if her love was free if he's broke anyway?!
  • Options
    MaksonMakson Posts: 30,489
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    And not forgetting of course... why would he care if her love was free if he's broke anyway?!

because our Jen from da block doesn't want to be "iced" by her man...she's reassuring him that he doesn't have to buy her affections
  • Options
    Heston VestonHeston Veston Posts: 6,495
    Forum Member

That's a tad harsh.
  • Options
    pearlsandplumspearlsandplums Posts: 29,603
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

It would make more sense 'even if you were rich, my love wouldnt cost a thing'

We are overthinking songs by that talentless Jacqueline of all trades though