Les Miserables

Comments

• LMLM Posts: 63,332
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Got my copy
    Shall watch tonight

Total con for no special features. They need to able to give us something for those are not Blu-ray buyers.
  • shelleyj89shelleyj89 Posts: 16,292
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Thought I'd let you know that Sainsburys' are doing an exclusive offer on the DVD. All other DVDs are standard-one disc but Sainsbury's are offering a 2-disc edition with the blu-ray special features on (handy if you don't have a blu-ray player).

Unfortunately my standard one disc version from Amazon has already been sent so I'll have two copies (but the second being the sainsbury's one) but oh well! :p

Here's the link:

https://www.sainsburysentertainment.co.uk/en/Films-TV/DVD/Hugh-Jackman/Les-Miserables-Sainsbury-s-2-Disc-Exclusive/product.html?product=E11215064

__
    Also in today's daily mail there is a DVD offer of 'the making of les miserables'.

Just ordered it! Thanks for letting us now :D
  • maddiesdoormaddiesdoor Posts: 828
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The sainsbury's 2 disc offer really is the one people should opt for I think. It's a bit of a con that it's been done like that in the first place (that it's only exclusive to one store).
  • Mystical123Mystical123 Posts: 15,811
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I very luckily live 2 minutes away from a Sainsburys, so am heading out to pick up my copy shortly - fingers crossed they have it!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Anyone know if they're doing the huge cardboard cut-out thingys? I heard Tesco were. I'll go down and get a sneaky pic of a life-sized Anne :D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Mines been dispatched already! That was quick!
  • Shawn_LunnShawn_Lunn Posts: 9,353
    Forum Member
    Watched it over the weekend.

Loved it. One of the best musical adaptations done.

Not a duff performance from any of the leads but Hathaway, Crowe and Jackman were utterly exceptional.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    ^Glad you liked Russell. I've seen it three times now, and get more impressed with his performance each time. His vocals were far better than some give him credit for, but more importantly he acts Javer excellently IMO. I'm pretty disappointed now that he wasn't nominated for any individual awards during award season.
  • LMLM Posts: 63,332
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I saw it 4 times at the cinema (how sad am I) and Russell gets better with each viewing. Anne breaks my heart everytime I have seen her. She gives one of the best supporting actress peformances from a music I have seen in years, and this is coming from someone who has nearly seen every musical film.

Controversially (I know some will hate me, but please don't), it's Sam Barks and Amanda Seyfried who provide the weakest performances.
    Lea Michele would of been much better in Sam's role.
  • Fairyprincess0Fairyprincess0 Posts: 30,038
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I got mine at half-six this morning......:D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Controversially (I know some will hate me, but please don't), it's Sam Barks and Amanda Seyfried who provide the weakest performances.
    Lea Michele would of been much better in Sam's role.

Sorry, have to strongly disagree entirely (don't hate you though :p ). Lea Michele has a great voice, but can't act, and she would have ruined the role of Eponine for me - would have been just as bad as the rumour Taylor Swift got it. I only got really excited about this movie when Sam Barks got the part, as I was relieved that someone who had proven herself more than capable of being Eponine (my favourite character) was cast.

She was the standout in the movie for me, along with Anne Hathaway - two flawless performances.

I don't think naming Amanda Seyfried as one of the weaker performances is controversial though, some of her high notes were a bit dodgy. Still thought she was a great Cosette though - it's a thankless character to play and she did well with what she was given. Certainly better than both Sacha Baron Cohen and Helena Bonham Carter - at least Amanda Seyfried can sing!

Picked up my DVD a couple of hours ago, looking forward to watching it this evening :)
  • Shawn_LunnShawn_Lunn Posts: 9,353
    Forum Member
    shelleyj89 wrote: »
    ^Glad you liked Russell. I've seen it three times now, and get more impressed with his performance each time. His vocals were far better than some give him credit for, but more importantly he acts Javer excellently IMO. I'm pretty disappointed now that he wasn't nominated for any individual awards during award season.

I like Russell in general and I thought he was great in this movie.

He definitely should've gotten some nods for it.
  • mimicolemimicole Posts: 50,916
    Forum Member
    My copy from Sainsburys has been dispatched! :eek:
    Forum Member
    Anyone know if they're doing the huge cardboard cut-out thingys? I heard Tesco were. I'll go down and get a sneaky pic of a life-sized Anne :D

If there is a life-size Eddie one I think I might be considering theft for the first and only time in my life...:o:eek:
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Found the free DVD from the Mail on Sunday on our coffee table this morning. The Young Revolutionaries extra is my favourite - Aaron Tveit :D
  • JamieHTJamieHT Posts: 12,196
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Random question but do either the DVDs or Blu-rays come in a cardboard sleeve?!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    JamieHT wrote: »
    Random question but do either the DVDs or Blu-rays come in a cardboard sleeve?!

The DVD I've got didn't (the 2 disc Sainsburys one).
    Forum Member
    Got my copy
    Shall watch tonight

Total con for no special features. They need to able to give us something for those are not Blu-ray buyers.

There were no special features at all on the standard disc? :( I hate buying DVDs with no special features. I love watching all of that stuff.
  • alcockellalcockell Posts: 25,160
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Got the Blu this morning from Amazon..

And have entered the annoyance of..

Spin up disc...
    LAN connection starts for no explainable reason
    3 unskippable trailers (can only chapter-skip rather than punching the MENU button on the remote) before the menu..
    And what is with this screensaver shit when paused? (Went to the loo expecting to be able to just hit PLAY again to continue)

Seriously studios, if I buy a film - I want to watch the film without hassle. if you want to put trailers on the disc - stick them as a selectable option on the top menu.. most of the time - I don't give a stuff and want to watch the film I've bought!

Apart from that - good adaptation.
  • AnthonymcQAnthonymcQ Posts: 222
    Forum Member
    Was going to get the Blu ray, but decided to just purchase it on SD on Google Movies. Means I can download to a few devices if out and about, and watch on my YouTube account through a browser

I reckon there will possibly be an extended version some day
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I really hope an extended version comes off the back of this. There's tons more footage.
  • JamieHTJamieHT Posts: 12,196
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The DVD I've got didn't (the 2 disc Sainsburys one).

Thanks. I went to WHSmith just now and bought the Blu-ray and it did have a cardboard sleeve. Bonus!! Haha.
    Forum Member
    My copy didn't arrive today. Hopefully it will tomorrow!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    mimicole wrote: »
    My copy didn't arrive today. Hopefully it will tomorrow!

Mine said 3-5 days on the email I got before it was dispatched, but it was dispatched at 12pm yesterday so I hope it arrived. Not that I have time to watch it tonight, but still, I want to hold it in my hands :D
  • mal2poolmal2pool Posts: 5,690
    Forum Member
    Watched it again today. Gets a bit lost in the middle around when he sings Suddenly but the rest is brilliant. The songs are going around in my head all the time. So many great tunes.