Tom Jones

YesYes Posts: 364
Forum Member
As nice as the guy is, and as good as his voice is, I think next year might require a change.

He doesn't really have much relevance in modern music and doesn't have much insightful comments to say.

There was one point tonight where he actually said the exact same reason for picking him twice in succession.

Comments

• CMCM Posts: 33,235
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Someone else who should retire with his Millions,
  • 2shy20072shy2007 Posts: 52,579
    Forum Member
    Yes wrote: »
    As nice as the guy is, and as good as his voice is, I think next year might require a change.

He doesn't really have much relevance in modern music and doesn't have much insightful comments to say.

There was one point tonight where he actually said the exact same reason for picking him twice in succession.

He said it twice as a joke if you watch the whole segment.

He should stay as we need his maturity, not all modern music has to be directed at the young.
  • YesYes Posts: 364
    Forum Member
    2shy2007 wrote: »
    He said it twice as a joke if you watch the whole segment.

He should stay as we need his maturity, not all modern music has to be directed at the young.
    If we need maturity then why not get someone older in who still has involvement in modern music.

In fact, screw that, just get someone in with a bit more wit and opinions

PS - Not sure it was a joke. I think the 'experience' angle or 'who I worked with' is basically all he has to say.

Obviously the 'Elvis, look...' stuff is a joke, but his initial argument for experience isn't.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 157
    Forum Member
    If we need maturity then why not get someone older in who still has involvement in modern music.

In fact, screw that, just get someone in with a bit more wit and opinions

PS - Not sure it was a joke. I think the 'experience' angle or 'who I worked with' is basically all he has to say.

Obviously the 'Elvis, look...' stuff is a joke, but his initial argument for experience isn't.

yes it does come over as cheesy some times, but how many current 'stars' will be able, sorry, ARE able to get past the 15 mins of fame and actually have a CAREER in music? Not many.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,345
    Forum Member
    He's the only one on the panel I would like to change. I'm all for having someone more mature that the others as a coach and I think he's very talented, but he bores the hell out of me :yawn:
  • trevor tigertrevor tiger Posts: 37,996
    Forum Member
    Why does a judge have to have any relevance in 'modern' music :confused:

There's Will, Jessie and Danny for that. Surely it's reasonable to have one old timer. Anyway Tom Jones has duetted with all sorts including younger artists.

Lets face it he has the best voice and clearly has the best credentials to boot.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,373
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If there's an argument for getting rid of anyone, it's Danny. Correct me if I'm wrong, but aren't all of his team so far defaults i.e. they automatically ended up with him because no other coach turned?

There are too many of the acts picking Tom when they have a choice of one or more other coaches for me to think that he shouldn't be there.
  • trevor tigertrevor tiger Posts: 37,996
    Forum Member
    echad wrote: »
    If there's an argument for getting rid of anyone, it's Danny. Correct me if I'm wrong, but aren't all of his team so far defaults i.e. they automatically ended up with him because no other coach turned?

There are too many of the acts picking Tom when they have a choice of one or more other coaches for me to think that he shouldn't be there.

Good point. However I do think the stats may be a bit unbalanced because Tom won last year and acts think they have a better chance with him.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,373
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Good point. However I do think the stats may be a bit unbalanced because Tom won last year and acts think they have a better chance with him.

Or they think he's the only one with nothing to prove, so he might actually try to help them develop rather than use them as a means to further his own career.

Although FWIW, I also think Will could be described in the same way, but I think he has a tendency to play favourites within his team (it was obvious last year from the start that he was moving towards Jaz or Tyler making the final). Danny is not quite as famous as the other three and insecure about it I feel. Jessie has an awful lot to live up to with her second album.
  • YesYes Posts: 364
    Forum Member

There's Will, Jessie and Danny for that. Surely it's reasonable to have one old timer. Anyway Tom Jones has duetted with all sorts including younger artists.

Lets face it he has the best voice and clearly has the best credentials to boot.
    Are you deliberately being retarded?
  • Yorkie47Yorkie47 Posts: 1,487
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Gosh, it doesn't pay not to agree with YOU does it? I don't think trevor tiger said anything to deserve that, he makes some perfectly reasonable points.
  • Cestrian18Cestrian18 Posts: 6,858
    Forum Member
    Aww I think Tom's great, and is a nice coubterbalance to Jessie and Danny's hyperness, And he's got a very good team shaping up now, even if there is a few welshies in there :p
  • muzungumuzungu Posts: 343
    Forum Member
    I like Tom. I think he brings a bit of quiet and balance in what would otherwise be a pandemonium.

The namedropping is a running joke.
  • muzungumuzungu Posts: 343
    Forum Member
    Cestrian18 wrote: »
    Aww I think Tom's great, and is a nice coubterbalance to Jessie and Danny's hyperness, And he's got a very good team shaping up now, even if there is a few welshies in there :p

I should have read the thread to the end before posting :D

I agree with this post :)
  • maggie_07maggie_07 Posts: 1,793
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

You should apologise for that comment. It's rude, ignorant and uncalled for.
  • ValentineValentine Posts: 3,852
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't understand why contestants would choose to go on his team if they have a choice - after all, his act won last year and has done precisely nothing. What help or mentoring has he given her to further her career?
  • SugarNSpiceSugarNSpice Posts: 1,880
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Well put. I agree with all the points which are reasonable.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 634
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

That remark is out of order and quite nasty.
  • GlowbotGlowbot Posts: 14,847
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    He's the only one with any credibility though. If he isn't saying anything it must be because they are underwhealming.
    None of the others say anything of worth.
  • fefsterfefster Posts: 7,388
    Forum Member
    Love Tom, love him. How very dare you
  • BillyBoy7BillyBoy7 Posts: 1,514
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Tom was there when modern music became modern music.

He proved at Buckingham Palace, that he can blow all his opposition away... Including Paul McCartney.... And the young ones who'll fade from the scene in a few years.

Of course he should stay! :D
  • Hot ButterflyHot Butterfly Posts: 2,826
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Many acts of today young - old - relevant - irrelevant, all want to work with him, or sing with him. he IS a legend whether you like him or not - and a decent bloke too by all accounts. if we had all young judges who are so-called relevant to today we'd prob end up with a panel of nicki minaj's and then i wouldn't watch the show. i think all the judges compliment each other well. they're a varied bunch which is essential to the show IMO.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    BillyBoy7 wrote: »
    Tom was there when modern music became modern music.

He proved at Buckingham Palace, that he can blow all his opposition away... Including Paul McCartney.... And the young ones who'll fade from the scene in a few years.

Of course he should stay! :D

Here is a link http://youtu.be/nzYu5etBCSE
  • DE53DE53 Posts: 2,641
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Tom is the "class act" on the panel, his voice has stood up better than most of his age and i can tell you having seen him live he puts on a great show :)

Of course he should stay, he is the only one on the panel that dosen't drive me nuts :D

And No i'm not welsh :p