Graham Norton BBC radio replacement??

samusek2samusek2 Posts: 3,882
Forum Member
✭✭✭
In a few weeks, mid-July, Graham Norton usually takes a 2-month break. However as it is fast approaching I have heard nothing as to who it will be that will take over. Two years ago, it was Ryan Tubridy. Last year, it was Jon Holmes? Has anyone heard what the plan will be this year? Is Holmes returning or is Graham going to stick around for a longer period? I'm curious as to who it will be during the summer months.:confused:

Comments

• james_watersjames_waters Posts: 1,301
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Jon is over on Xfm now so unsure if he'd do the two...because of the difference of the audiences but more time? Ryan Tubridy? Richard Madley!
  • NoEntry2kNoEntry2k Posts: 14,985
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Does anyone else think Frank Skinner would be good on Radio 2? I think he’d be quite good in the Saturday morning slot based on his performance on Absolute. Having said that, I’m not sure he’d have quite so much freedom and get away with as much on the BBC.
    And it won’t be in the near future as I believe he’s just started another one year contract with Absolute, but he already has links with the BBC, so in the future on Saturday mornings….maybe.
  • FM LoverFM Lover Posts: 50,822
    Forum Member
    hope I'm wrong but I've a feeling it'll be Patrick Kielty:eek:
  • PassengersPassengers Posts: 764
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    What's happened to "Wogan Lite" Ryan Tubridy?
  • pjexpjex Posts: 9,377
    Forum Member
    Chris Moyles
  • 6262 Posts: 295
    Forum Member
    I think Alan Carr would be good but as he's Norton's great rival in the TV chat game, the Beeb might be reluctant to give it to him for 'political' reasons.:(
  • the teddy bearthe teddy bear Posts: 781
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    62 wrote: »
    I think Alan Carr would be good but as he's Norton's great rival in the TV chat game, the Beeb might be reluctant to give it to him for 'political' reasons.:(

Don't forget, Alan used to do the 6pm til 8pm slot on Saturday evenings, that Liza Tarbuck now occupies and after his acrimonious departure from that slot, I doubt he'd be likely to entertain any overtures from Auntie again, any time soon! ;)
  • PDMBPDMB Posts: 883
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    How about Jimmy Carr or Paul Merton?

I guess it depends on their other commitments- I presume Edinburgh rules out several comedians.
  • Hot HitsHot Hits Posts: 596
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Wouldn't it be great to have a good 3 hour music programme. Make a real pleasant change on Saturday.
  • moordown66moordown66 Posts: 539
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Iain Lee
  • MusicmasterproxMusicmasterprox Posts: 959
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    moordown66 wrote: »
    Iain Lee

Sara Cox, as she may be leaving Radio 1 for 2 once Fern returns on Mid-Mornings.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 99
    Forum Member
    Sara Cox, as she may be leaving Radio 1 for 2 once Fern returns on Mid-Mornings.

If Fearne's back till Graham takes a break she really could be a replacement for him.
  • big macbig mac Posts: 4,583
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    pjex wrote: »
    Chris Moyles

If they were going to try and gradually ease him to Radio 2, this would be the perfect opportunity.
  • occyoccy Posts: 65,112
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Ryan Tubridy
    Chris Moyles or Chris Tarrant ( Would be a good choice if they could commit to the time Graham is off? )
    Sara Cox ( She might need Holiday )
  • the teddy bearthe teddy bear Posts: 781
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

I don't think Fearne returns until the beginning of September, so that would rule Coxy out and I also doubt she would do 6 days a week in the same slot she currently does in the week on 1 and used to do on Sunday, before taking over Fearne's show.
  • p_c_u_kp_c_u_k Posts: 8,806
    Forum Member
    big mac wrote: »
    If they were going to try and gradually ease him to Radio 2, this would be the perfect opportunity.

I hope I'm wrong, but I think Moyles needs more of a gradual introduction to Radio 2 listeners (bank holidays show etc) than being thrown on in a relatively prime slot.

Mind you, Saturdays at Radio 2 are hugely eclectic so who knows?

Coxy would be good but they may need a bigger personality for this slot.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Different angle - James Whale as he's cover Tony Blackburn on BBC Berkshire this week?
  • markmagmarkmag Posts: 3,131
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Vernon Kay?

Edith Bowman 6music simulcast?
  • Brenda McQueenBrenda McQueen Posts: 238
    Forum Member
    samusek2 wrote: »
    In a few weeks, mid-July, Graham Norton usually takes a 2-month break. However as it is fast approaching I have heard nothing as to who it will be that will take over. Two years ago, it was Ryan Tubridy. Last year, it was Jon Holmes? Has anyone heard what the plan will be this year? Is Holmes returning or is Graham going to stick around for a longer period? I'm curious as to who it will be during the summer months.:confused:
    Scottie McClue?
  • NoEntry2kNoEntry2k Posts: 14,985
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    big mac wrote: »

I agree, this would be a good way to 'ease' Chris Moyles into Radio 2 if the BBC and Moyles himslef wanted it. I'm sure it would get good ratings.
    But I think if this were the plan we would have heard about it by now.
  • FM LoverFM Lover Posts: 50,822
    Forum Member
    NoEntry2k wrote: »
    I agree, this would be a good way to 'ease' Chris Moyles into Radio 2 if the BBC and Moyles himslef wanted it. I'm sure it would get good ratings.
    But I think if this were the plan we would have heard about it by now.

If that happened nobody would want Norton back so think the chances are slim.

How about Jonathan Ross :D
  • PassengersPassengers Posts: 764
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    FM Lover wrote: »
    If that happened nobody would want Norton back so think the chances are slim.

I'm sure the yummy mummies of the Home Counties would object to the vulgarity of Moyles. He really isn't Radio 2 material, far too blokey.
  • p_c_u_kp_c_u_k Posts: 8,806
    Forum Member
    He's calmed down a lot since he started at Radio 1. His early shows were incredibly blokey, and that perception dominates how those who don't listen to him see him.

I'm sure he could adapt his act to mid-morning Radio 2. I do wonder if people would accept him in such a prominent slot that quickly, and I suspect those of us who loved him on Radio 1 may be highly disappointed if he was too toned down. A tricky one to get right.

I don't think he'll have to worry about it for a while though.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I have a funny feelingI it'll be Kielty as he seems to be back in favour.
  • HertzHertz Posts: 3,211
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    To be honest, I've never that fussed on TV personalities being radio presenters/DJs.

It's never really cut it for me.

I'd rather they brought in new talent from BBC local or commercial radio.