Which multigym to buy

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3
Forum Member
Which multigym should I buy in UK for under £700?? Marcy 3500 (£569) or kettler multigym (£599- not the fit master which is £499) or any other?? Want to get toned rather than really big)

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,379
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    teambo wrote: »
    Which multigym should I buy in UK for under £700?? Marcy 3500 (£569) or kettler multigym (£599- not the fit master which is £499) or any other?? Want to get toned rather than really big)

Erm, why don't you use GOOGLE and look for opinions and reviews! This is not the place for expert opinions on multi-gyms frankly.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3
    Forum Member
    Do you not think I have done this??
  • allhitradioallhitradio Posts: 125
    Forum Member
    The Kettler one looks best to me, but that's possibly just based on the fact that I've used bits and pieces of Kettler equipment in the past and found it well made and good value for money.

The only thing I would say is that you should maybe try to go somewhere that stocks the items in the store (whether you end up buying it from them or not) to try the equipment out for yourself. Until you do that, it's hard to say whether it'll really suit you. For example, I had a York multigym that was so difficult to change from one exercise to the next, that it made a workout take ages. I was literally spending more time moving things around and locking it into different positions, than I was exercising! So I'd always want to see how quick and easy it is to switch from leg curls to bench presses, for example.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 664
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    What is your reasoning for buying a multigym? £700 works out at £30 a month for 2 years. This could pay for a decent gym membership which would give you much more than a home multigym.

I've had home fitness equipment and gym memberships over the years and for me, I always use the gym membership more. With home fitness equipment you know you can use it anytime therefore it's easy to put off a workout (I'll do it later, I'll do it tomorrow...). Whereas with the gym membership you are paying each month so you feel more inclined to get your money's worth week in week out.

The other thing to consider is the range of facilities a gym membership provides compared with a home multigym. With a gym membership you will get access to a huge variety of weight machines (far in excess of what a multigym could provide) but you also get all the cardio machines, free weights, fitness classes, maybe even a pool.

In my experience multigyms are not that great anyway. The quality of them is usually a bit ropey, the number of exercises somewhat limited and the weight stack not heavy enough for 'big' exercises.

If you're determined to go the home route I'd suggest looking at free weights rather than a multigym. For £700 you could easily get a decent adjustable weights bench, olympic barbell, dumbells and a good range of plates with money to spare. With that equipment you'd be able to do far more exercises than with a multigym.
  • Pumping IronPumping Iron Posts: 29,891
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You're far better off buying a bench and free weights for that price. Being toned is just low bodyfat, you won't get big unless very dedicated.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3
    Forum Member
    thanks for the advice!!!!
  • stvn758stvn758 Posts: 19,656
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The one I am looking at is the York Perform.

http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Product/partNumber/3358261.htm

It's down to £350 at Argos at the moment and the weight stack is 100kg, which is higher than all the others I have seen even the more expensive ones. My Marcy Apex has just fallen to bits and I am seriously tempted by this one. I can lift all the weight on my chest press, lats and leg press but the York has a 1:1 ratio so there seems to be a lot more weight to build up the rest of my muscle groups that the Marcy due to it's cable routing limits to 40kgs.

Very impressive looking piece of kit this. I also have barbells and dumbbells and that takes some serious effort and the cost of the weight plates, and I buy the cheapest is going to be far higher than the gym. Unless you want to be HUGE, you can get pretty toned/muscular with one of these multi gyms without all the fuss.