How do you view the direct stream URL on a media player?

max_dbmax_db Posts: 3,892
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Hi all I am listening to a music stream on my phone which is from a website but it will I need to get the URL link to the file that is playing. Is it possible to view this so I don't have to go through the website and can put the link http:/ number and open it directly without having to go through my browser?

I would like to be able to view it Windows Media Player or Winamp is possible.

Many kind thanks

Comments

• radioanorakradioanorak Posts: 4,247
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Winamp or Shoutcast will show you the url
  • Oscar_Oscar_ Posts: 3,191
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sometimes those stream URL's are embedded deep in the code and not easy to pluck out. It depends on how the web designers set it all up and usually they like you to listen via the webpage player so they can include ads but that is not always the case. Sometimes just hovering a mouse cursor in the right spot or observing text in the status bar will reveal the URL.

If it is one specific stream you are after it might help if you tell us what it is, unless of course you are shy about revealing to us what your taste in music is.

One other thought, if there are links on the webpage which you can click to listen in different players those are usually playlist files such as .asx or .pls and what you can do is right click and save those files and then open them as text to reveal the direct stream URL.
  • max_dbmax_db Posts: 3,892
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thanks all I've worked out how to do it.
  • curiousclivecuriousclive Posts: 378
    Forum Member
    max_db wrote: »
    Thanks all I've worked out how to do it.
    Would be nice if you passed on how you did it to help others who may need to do the same.