Options

Gambo

poppickers2345poppickers2345 Posts: 162
Forum Member
Hey folks

I am just wondering has anyone heard any news whats happened to
Paul Gambaccini, I know he was arrested with the Operation Yewtree investigations.

Also if he is found not guilty would the BBC bring him back to his American Greatest Hits show on BBC Radio 2?

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,877
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    These things always take an age to come to court, if indeed this case does, so I not sure we will hear anything just yet.

If he is cleared or the charges are dropped then he should totally be allowed to come back to work, however I wonder whether he actually will or whether his contract will be slowly allowed to expire.
  • Options
    FM LoverFM Lover Posts: 50,851
    Forum Member
    In all honesty not missing his show at all, I think it's run it's course, the replacements are better although I'd prefer 8-10pm Craig Charles.
  • Options
    Black CrowBlack Crow Posts: 619
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    FM Lover wrote: »
    In all honesty not missing his show at all, I think it's run it's course, the replacements are better although I'd prefer 8-10pm Craig Charles.

He is on 6Music from 6pm so you can him on between 8-10pm every week if you want.
  • Options
    Rich Tea.Rich Tea. Posts: 22,048
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hey folks

I am just wondering has anyone heard any news whats happened to
    Paul Gambaccini, I know he was arrested with the Operation Yewtree investigations.

Also if he is found not guilty would the BBC bring him back to his American Greatest Hits show on BBC Radio 2?

You have to wonder what is taking so long. His show came to an abrupt end late last October, at his own insistence apparently, until the resolution of ongoing events. I miss his America's Greatest Hits and certainly hope if the outcome is favourable then his return to the show he relinquished will be assured. Ironic that it all happened just a couple of weeks after they were celebrating on air his 40 years with the BBC that very same month.
  • Options
    richie wildrichie wild Posts: 9,895
    Forum Member
    If anyone can provide a link to his 40 Year show, please PM me. Cheers :)
  • Options
    dpbdpb Posts: 12,031
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

I agree that the show has run its course. I think there's a place for Paul on the network such as one-off specials and documentaries - although I felt his music radio documentary did editorialise a couple of times so ideally some which are objective.

However in some respects I’m wondering if whatever the outcome Paul will not return to the network. He’s been quite vocal in the last few years almost becoming a rent a gob and this might be an opportunity to permanently refresh Saturdays on Radio 2.
  • Options
    Gerry1Gerry1 Posts: 4,225
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Stephen Fry has attacked former Director of Public Prosecutions Keir Starmer about Paul Gambaccini having been arrested back in October but not having been charged with any offence: “fewer than half” of the people held under the ongoing police investigation had been found guilty.
  • Options
    darnall42darnall42 Posts: 4,080
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    From this weeks AT40 the 70s show from july 1973 https://soundcloud.com/andrew-shutt/gambos-letter-to-casey
  • Options
    Apprentice 2 SAApprentice 2 SA Posts: 2,342
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Gerry1 wrote: »
    Stephen Fry has attacked former Director of Public Prosecutions Keir Starmer about Paul Gambaccini having been arrested back in October but not having been charged with any offence: “fewer than half” of the people held under the ongoing police investigation had been found guilty.

It's not right that anyone can be forced to leave their job for months on end - in the case of DLT over a year - without being convicted of anything. How are people meant to live in the meantime? Whatever happened to innocent until proven guilty?

It's also not right that accusers are not name but the accused is. Either both should be named or neither.
  • Options
    FM LoverFM Lover Posts: 50,851
    Forum Member
    It's not right that anyone can be forced to leave their job for months on end - in the case of DLT over a year - without being convicted of anything. How are people meant to live in the meantime? Whatever happened to innocent until proven guilty?

It's also not right that accusers are not name but the accused is. Either both should be named or neither.

It's a tough call. Yes I 100% agree about innocent until proven guilty but if a presenter accused of these aged offences was to stay on air and then be found guilty then the radio station would be attacked for keeping said person on the air up until their court appearance. It's a no win situation.
  • Options
    Apprentice 2 SAApprentice 2 SA Posts: 2,342
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's a tough call. Yes I 100% agree about innocent until proven guilty but if a presenter accused of these aged offences was to stay on air and then be found guilty then the radio station would be attacked for keeping said person on the air up until their court appearance. It's a no win situation.

I personally think the first stage is to either not name the accused - then the radio station wouldn't have the problem - or to also name the accuser(s). In the latter case, with both parties being treated equally, I suspect the law would suddenly frown on excessive media attention, which might again allow innocent (until proven guilty) people to continue in their jobs.

My thoughts here aren't specific for celebrities. No one should be forced to give up their jobs until they are actually convicted of something.
  • Options
    Rich Tea.Rich Tea. Posts: 22,048
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Never mind convicted, in the case of Gambo there isn't even any actual charge, 9 months later. It simply isn't just and reasonable.