The ALS Ice Bucket Challenge - Good Idea or Not?

ThisGenerationThisGeneration Posts: 357
Forum Member
I only heard about this yesterday, but there's a new viral video craze called the ALS Ice Bucket Challenge.

The idea is you post a video of dumping a bucket of ice water over yourself and then challenge others to do the same. This isn't a pointless craze though - it's to raise awareness and money for the ALS Association.

Here is their site: http://www.alsa.org

There are some that think that this is a great idea and will raise awareness of ALS and money for ALSA, but others think that it's stupid and say people would be better off donating to ALSA instead.

An article for the IBC:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/news/the-intersect/wp/2014/08/12/stop-hating-on-the-ice-bucket-challenge-its-raised-millions-of-dollars-for-charity/

And one against:

http://www.slate.com/blogs/future_tense/2014/08/12/icebucketchallenge_you_don_t_need_an_ice_bucket_to_donate_to_als_research.html

At first I thought it was a good idea, after all it is raising money and awareness for charity. But I'm starting to think it's getting a bit silly now and it's going to turn into just another pointless viral video craze the longer it goes on. :(

What are your thoughts on this? Is it a good idea or is it just an excuse for some people to get attention and be liked on social media?

Comments

• BedrockGBedrockG Posts: 46
    Forum Member
    I personally don't think it's a good idea - what if somebody has a heart attack from the shock of having ice water thrown at them? :eek:
  • ThisGenerationThisGeneration Posts: 357
    Forum Member
    BedrockG wrote: »
    I personally don't think it's a good idea - what if somebody has a heart attack from the shock of having ice water thrown at them? :eek:

Someone died after completing the challenge - they suffered a cardiac arrest. :(

http://au.ibtimes.com/articles/562384/20140812/ansel-elgort-ice-bucket-challenge-als-fund.htm#.U-uwoZK9LCQ
  • rioniarionia Posts: 1,657
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Someone died after completing the challenge - they suffered a cardiac arrest. :(

http://au.ibtimes.com/articles/562384/20140812/ansel-elgort-ice-bucket-challenge-als-fund.htm#.U-uwoZK9LCQ

There were apparently other factors involved.

"Willis Tepania, a 40-year-old father from Kaitaia, took the "ice challenge" on Saturday night. He is believed to have then consumed a large quantity of Jim Beam bourbon in a matter of minutes .. possibly as much as a full-litre bottle"

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/nz/news/article.cfm?c_id=1&objectid=11291475
  • rioniarionia Posts: 1,657
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Personally, if it produces vids like this, then I'm all for it :D:blush:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q2Dvove7VT4
  • bollywoodbollywood Posts: 67,769
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Probably a good idea to bring awareness, because a lot of people don't know what ALS is. They might have heard vaguely of Lou Gehrig's Disease. Now people will know and it also takes some of the stigma away.

There is a young man who is going out in public and trying to stay alive until his baby is born.
  • JasonJason Posts: 76,557
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Compared to some of the utter idiocy some of these viral campaigns produce - NekNominate being one of them - i think this is a perfectly fine idea. If it raises awareness of the condition and people want to donate then that's a good thing.

If people want to do the challenge as well as donate, it's a bit of fun on top.
    rionia wrote: »
    Personally, if it produces vids like this, then I'm all for it :D:blush:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q2Dvove7VT4

Liking the Deathstroke t-shirt :)
  • Partly CloudyPartly Cloudy Posts: 591
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    If people want to do the challenge as well as donate, it's a bit of fun on top.

Agree. That's the point of it all, drawing attention to a good cause to combat a debilitating, fatal disease in a fun way. I know the juxtaposition is jarring, but that's what gets all the attention. The original idea was to either donate money to fight ALS *or* have a bucket of ice water thrown over your head, But, of course, most people do both.
  • FIN-MANFIN-MAN Posts: 1,598
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I only heard about this yesterday, but there's a new viral video craze called the ALS Ice Bucket Challenge.

The idea is you post a video of dumping a bucket of ice water over yourself and then challenge others to do the same. This isn't a pointless craze though - it's to raise awareness and money for the ALS Association.

Here is their site: http://www.alsa.org

There are some that think that this is a great idea and will raise awareness of ALS and money for ALSA, but others think that it's stupid and say people would be better off donating to ALSA instead.

An article for the IBC:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/news/the-intersect/wp/2014/08/12/stop-hating-on-the-ice-bucket-challenge-its-raised-millions-of-dollars-for-charity/

And one against:

http://www.slate.com/blogs/future_tense/2014/08/12/icebucketchallenge_you_don_t_need_an_ice_bucket_to_donate_to_als_research.html

At first I thought it was a good idea, after all it is raising money and awareness for charity. But I'm starting to think it's getting a bit silly now and it's going to turn into just another pointless viral video craze the longer it goes on. :(

What are your thoughts on this? Is it a good idea or is it just an excuse for some people to get attention and be liked on social media?

Of course its a good idea. Anything to raise awareness is a good idea. Plus have you seen the names of the celebrities, athletes, and business tycoons taking part? Even the POTUS was hit up by Lebron James to do it (he declined but donated to charity). That is a lot of people with the ability to capture the public's attention.
  • talentedmonkeytalentedmonkey Posts: 2,639
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The best one will be the ones which end in millions of deaths, culling the stupid from society and the gene pool.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The best one will be the ones which end in millions of deaths, culling the stupid from society and the gene pool.

Did you ever know anyone with ALS?
  • Default_UserDefault_User Posts: 4,922
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    As I heard it on the news last night, the person who is nominated to do the challenge can choose to tip the ice on themselves and donate £10 to the charity, or refuse and donate £100 instead.
    So that means that all the celebs doing the soakings are actually costing the charity £90 a time by choosing to take the cheap option. Tightwads. :p
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    As I heard it on the news last night, the person who is nominated to do the challenge can choose to tip the ice on themselves and donate £10 to the charity, or refuse and donate £100 instead.
    So that means that all the celebs doing the soakings are actually costing the charity £90 a time by choosing to take the cheap option. Tightwads. :p

Mmm I saw Taylor Swift put in $600 for the people who were doing it with her. In addition if everyone nominates someone, that adds up to a lot.
  • TerraCanisTerraCanis Posts: 14,099
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    bollywood wrote: »
    Did you ever know anyone with ALS?

1. You're falling into the trap of believing that idiotic behaviour on social media "raises awareness" of anything. Even (or perhaps I should say especially some of those who have some of the diseases that supposedly inspire thes crazes get irritated by them. At least posting a photograph of yourself without/with make-up is harms nobody, unlike this one.
  • Doctor_WibbleDoctor_Wibble Posts: 26,580
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    TerraCanis wrote: »
    1. You're falling into the trap of believing that idiotic behaviour on social media "raises awareness" of anything.
    This, unfortunately.
    I saw the iced-water thing on the news a few times and got the vague impression it was in aid of motor neurone disease (reading their page, is it the US name for the same thing?). I never heard ALS mentioned (never heard of it before) and I never heard Lou Gehrig mentioned (never heard of him before).

Edit : it would be quite instructional to get the accountants on this - how many videos versus how much money actually genuinely paid in real money rather than grandiose 'pledge'.
  • stoatiestoatie Posts: 78,106
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Yes, because what a wonderful thing it would be for humanity to wipe out all the people who care about good causes.
  • InspirationInspiration Posts: 62,694
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Edit : it would be quite instructional to get the accountants on this - how many videos versus how much money actually genuinely paid in real money rather than grandiose 'pledge'.

$13.3 million versus $1.7 million for the same three week time period last year.
  • InspirationInspiration Posts: 62,694
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    1. You're falling into the trap of believing that idiotic behaviour on social media "raises awareness" of anything.

It's clearly raising awareness. I didn't know what ALS is before, now I do. So I'm officially aware. Now you can debate the level of awareness and perhaps argue that whilst people know what ALS is few actually understand the details. But I think with fund raising you generally don't need to know all the specifics for it to be valuable to the charity and attract donations. Just getting people talking about it or thinking about it is a success.

I think some of the celebs could have perhaps done a better job such as speaking briefly about ALS prior to the challenge. I think Bill Gates did that. But I don't have a problem with the challenge personally. It's been a huge success for the charity. I'd rather see someone actually DO something than just wake up in the morning and take a photo of themselves without make up.

In a way it's the perfect social media campaign. It's short, it's effective and it encourages people to watch. I mean who doesn't want to see someone drenched in ice water. It's entertaining. And the challenging 3 people bit is genius because that ensures it will spread rapidly and celebs will always nominate other celebs.. so very quickly you have a highly effective viral awareness campaign.
  • stoatiestoatie Posts: 78,106
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

You're talking about it.
  • thefairydandythefairydandy Posts: 3,235
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    1. You're falling into the trap of believing that idiotic behaviour on social media "raises awareness" of anything. Even (or perhaps I should say especially some of those who have some of the diseases that supposedly inspire thes crazes get irritated by them. At least posting a photograph of yourself without/with make-up is harms nobody, unlike this one.

As a supportive point, I've seen a lot of people chucking buckets of water around, celebrities and otherwise and have read this thread, and I still don't know what ALS stands for :D

Yes, I know some people have provided links but so far the majority haven't and no one has bothered to explain it.
  • Tony TigerTony Tiger Posts: 2,254
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've seen a few of them on facebook now and not a one that mentioned ALS or charity in any way. Just people getting iced in a non 80s-action-movie way.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    $13.3 million versus $1.7 million for the same three week time period last year.
    Ta, just found that on their page!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,889
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    i dont have a problem with people doing it for ALS, but most idiots on facebook think its for cancer research uk or Macmillan cancer charity....

also isnt the point of the thing that some rich guy is gonna donate 100 bucks for every video posted, and those posting vids are too tight to actually donate hence them copping out and posting vid

the challenge is donnate 100$ or ice bucket , most vids ive saw is just water in those buckets
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

No one required anyone to hurt themselves during the challenge. People die during marathons too. It's sounding like celebrity envy to me. All those people who still look hot soaking wet.

I think celebrities coming out on various issues does raise awareness and takes some of the stigma off illnesses that people don't want to talk about.
    This, unfortunately.
    I saw the iced-water thing on the news a few times and got the vague impression it was in aid of motor neurone disease (reading their page, is it the US name for the same thing?). I never heard ALS mentioned (never heard of it before) and I never heard Lou Gehrig mentioned (never heard of him before).

You should read the links then.

It's amyotrophic lateral sclerosis, a neurogenerative disease that basically wastes away the muscles while leaving the mind intact. It's a very hard way to die, and some people choke on their own saliva because they can't swallow. It used to be nicknamed the nice person's disease because many of the persons afflicted were so nice, literally, caring about you when they are suffering. The survival time for most is not that long. Many people with the illness hide away. That's why the challenge was so important. Lou Gehrig was a famous baseball player who had it. I noticed a number of athletes who became afflicted.

I don't know why the millions won't get to the charity any more or less than other events. Celebrities have bookkeepers. It can spark interest in research too.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 55
    Forum Member
    The fact that we are all talking about it is the exact reason why this campaign works. ALS are creating a huge impact on their cause and it has made the world sit up and listen to the work they do. That's what makes this campaign a great idea.

Movie stars, singers, musicians, public authorities are taking part in the challenge and it is proving to be hugely successful! Especially when the likes of Justin Bieber are asking his fans to get involved - his Twitter following alone is HUGE so imagine the potential for individuals to donate to the charity.

Everyone is aware of how this could be deemed as dangerous but we all know our limits and I think it is important to remain safe in these viral campaigns. All in all it is a great way to unite and all too often we hear negative news followed by more negative news. Isn't it about time we all had a little more fun and raised awareness for charities that change lives?

I heard this evening that Car Fox from CARFAX took the nomination and nominated the Energizer Bunny! Brilliant idea and definitely my favorite nomination yet! http://www.carfax.com/blog/car-fox-takes-als-ice-bucket-challenge/
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    bollywood wrote: »
    You should read the links then.
    Yes I have now read the links and now have an idea as to what it is but my point was that at the time I did not, and there was no explanation given.
    And what is this 'baseball' thing that keeps getting mentioned?