Options

How did YOU react when someone you knew revealed they were Trans?

Joni MJoni M Posts: 70,225
Forum Member
✭✭
This is coming off of the Big Brother contestant Kellie Maloney and how she is being perceived n the house.

She seems to be really struggling with her Trans status... and thus having 'issues' with other housemates views towards her.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kellie_Maloney

How do Trans people feel towards her? Educate us who don't know how to approach someone we've known a long time.
Also, please let me know if I have used any offensive or incorrect terminology.

Comments

• Options
    CravenHavenCravenHaven Posts: 13,953
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It's fine! Trans Am is a great race. It's right after the Cannonball Run.
  • Options
    Joni MJoni M Posts: 70,225
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It's fine! Trans Am is a great race. It's right after the Cannonball Run.

Ya know what? once I saw your name on the main page I kinda guessed you wouldn't have a contsructive reply.... you never do. *sighs*
  • Options
    Jim_McIntoshJim_McIntosh Posts: 5,866
    Forum Member
    Hasn't happened yet. Hopefully I don't come across as a total idiot if it ever does. People are free to be what they want with me - just let me know what references to use so I don't embarrass the person or myself in public and if I slip up then I'm sorry, I'm just getting used to the readjustment.

I imagine it would go something like that. I'd have to talk to them openly and privately I think and try to cut through any awkwardness.

If someone you worked with for ten years just waltzed into work one day and was like "ta-da, I'm now Charmaine" your initial response might be less measured, I suppose. Some forewarning would probably help get used to the idea. :)
  • Options
    CravenHavenCravenHaven Posts: 13,953
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Joni M wrote: »
    Ya know what? once I saw your name on the main page I kinda guessed you wouldn't have a contsructive reply.... you never do. *sighs*
    for someone who prattles away at the rate of 8,000 posts a year your words are unusually coy. Do the rest of them have to be decoded with the Enigma?
  • Options
    Si_CreweSi_Crewe Posts: 40,202
    Forum Member
    Seems unlikely that you'll get a vast number of first-hand responses.

Course, this is DS.....

Mentioned it before but, I know a guy who's a straight TV in a "T-girl" rock band and he was pretty critical of one of the other band members who decided that he wanted to get a full-on sex change.
    The guy I know is convinced that his mate is doing it as a way of living out some kind of "fantasy" rather than for more level-headed reasons.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,899
    Forum Member
    I'm afraid I don't know anyone who is Trans. :)
  • Options
    HypnodiscHypnodisc Posts: 22,728
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Don't know any (as far as I know, I guess?).

Besides which, I know nothing about this Kellie person but she appears to be a complete ass..

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kellie_Maloney#Allegations_of_homophobia_and_racism
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,660
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Their life to live, as long as they are decent to me, who they like and on what basis doesn't matter to me.
  • Options
    talentedmonkeytalentedmonkey Posts: 2,639
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My ex ended up with a transexual, some bloke who was ex soldier, even after all the operations he still looked like a bloke ina wig and skirt.

My opinions are not politically correct regarding this matter, but I speak honestly. I think that we have, well that should really be the medical profession, have become too poltically correct.

The current medical thinking in psychological and mental health, is whatever the patient thinks is best, is best.

Society and world in general is very cruel, combined with lack of jobs and so on, depression is on the rise, many people are unhappy and suicidal.

quite a few people are so depressed with life having made so many life changes but all failing to bring happiness, there comes a time when a number of people think they would be happy as opposite sex, so begining the transformation of an old life into a new life.

When you see people who had sex change op who basically look like a man in a wig, and vice versa, then it is more than likely they are only having this change due to wanting an escape and nothing else.

There are a small number of people born each year with genitalia mix ups. It was not that long ago parents were simply asked, what you want a boy or a girl? Of course a woman brought up as a boy parents having chosen the specific organ to go with this gender, then finds or thinks " I will have a sex change op" and yes, the transformation is amazing, they really are women and look like women as they simply have had the right parts put back!

However I find it quite sad that a lot of people are so unhappy with their existence that they feel the only way they THINK they can be happy is to live life as opposite sex.
  • Options
    HypnodiscHypnodisc Posts: 22,728
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My ex ended up with a transexual, some bloke who was ex soldier, even after all the operations he still looked like a bloke ina wig and skirt.

My opinions are not politically correct regarding this matter, but I speak honestly. I think that we have, well that should really be the medical profession, have become too poltically correct.

The current medical thinking in psychological and mental health, is whatever the patient thinks is best, is best.

Society and world in general is very cruel, combined with lack of jobs and so on, depression is on the rise, many people are unhappy and suicidal.

quite a few people are so depressed with life having made so many life changes but all failing to bring happiness, there comes a time when a number of people think they would be happy as opposite sex, so begining the transformation of an old life into a new life.

When you see people who had sex change op who basically look like a man in a wig, and vice versa, then it is more than likely they are only having this change due to wanting an escape and nothing else.

There are a small number of people born each year with genitalia mix ups. It was not that long ago parents were simply asked, what you want a boy or a girl? Of course a woman brought up as a boy parents having chosen the specific organ to go with this gender, then finds or thinks " I will have a sex change op" and yes, the transformation is amazing, they really are women and look like women as they simply have had the right parts put back!

However I find it quite sad that a lot of people are so unhappy with their existence that they feel the only way they THINK they can be happy is to live life as opposite sex.

Amateur arm-chair psychologist alert.

You just can't make claims like this without any sort of evidence or reasoning.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 32,379
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    One of our engineers, ex Lt Cdr in the RN, decided he would come to work dressed as a woman. He was a bit effeminate before that. This was in the early 80s.

They had to build a new toilet for her. Still looked like a man in a frock. Don't know the outcome as I moved to another job shortly after.

It didn't bother me in the slightest, didn't affect me at all. Don't know what it was like in his office:)

I've seen a guy in M&S dressed as a woman accompanied by a woman. It's obvious he is a man, 6' something with big hands and feet.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 32,379
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Joni M wrote: »
    This is coming off of the Big Brother contestant Kellie Maloney and how she is being perceived n the house.

She seems to be really struggling with her Trans status... and thus having 'issues' with other housemates views towards her.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kellie_Maloney

How do Trans people feel towards her? Educate us who don't know how to approach someone we've known a long time.
    Also, please let me know if I have used any offensive or incorrect terminology.

Don't think you have:)

Still looks like a bloke in a frock. Unlike some of the Tai ladyboys who actually look like women.
  • Options
    Hugh JboobsHugh Jboobs Posts: 15,316
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    A friend of mine wanted a sex change and started wearing dresses and heels. It was obvious he was just a bloke in women's clothes.

He made a far more convincing woman the day he started wearing a polar fleece, track suit bottoms, dirty trainers and started dragging three unruly kids around a supermarket.
  • Options
    NX-74205NX-74205 Posts: 4,691
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I know a couple or three crossers. Two are as straight as I am, they just like wearing all the fancy clobber, and one is gay and does a great line in showtunes. I'm afraid that's about as far as it goes with me. I don't know anyone whose had a manectomy or who is considering having a manectomy.
  • Options
    Bulletguy1Bulletguy1 Posts: 18,429
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Long time back now but...reacted as any bloke would.....she was hot! :D

Every time i hear that Kinks song 'Lola' on the radio, it sort of reminds me of her :cool:
  • Options
    mickmarsmickmars Posts: 7,438
    Forum Member
    If you want honesty,I think its madness that someone can turn up working at the office,we all know its a feller in a wig,nobody can mention it,nobody can joke about it and everyone around has to act like it's the most normal thing in the world.
    It makes as much sense to me as a person wanting elephant ears grafted on.
    This may not be the PC enlightened answer,but it is my truth.
    I will standby by for the internet lynching...
  • Options
    Fairyprincess0Fairyprincess0 Posts: 30,075
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well you know me, and there's a certain online sweetie of mine. So there's two.....
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

You seem to be coming at this from 'your' point of view, but you can understand who it feels to be 'trans'.

Firstly, nobody choose to be trans. Nobody should want to. It's a curse.

But people do have a choice, an awful choice.

Either the have the courage to make the change, and run the gauntlet of discrimination and abuse, from the opinions of folk who are more interested in the own sense of ascetics.

Or, they choose to keep they head down, and life a life of depression. Where they run the risk of killing themselves. I myself an not the 'suicide type.' but they say 50% of all trans-people top themselves before 30.

Even though ive not transitioned. I'm still trans. I don't want to be, but I am.

One of the things that has stopped me is the knowledge that I wouldn't 'pass'.

The world is full of people who thing there perception of how people should 'normally' be is more important to them then how that other people is feeling.....
  • Options
    jarryhackjarryhack Posts: 5,076
    Forum Member
    I recently bumped into a woman whose son went to the same primary school as my son. She told me her now 17 year old son was now a woman and had been going through the process since he was 16. I didn't think they (NHS) let them do it that young. The boy is going back to college in September as a woman. I can't help thinking it's gonna be hard for him.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    jarryhack wrote: »
    I recently bumped into a woman whose son went to the same primary school as my son. She told me her now 17 year old son was now a woman and had been going through the process since he was 16. I didn't think they (NHS) let them do it that young. The boy is going back to college in September as a woman. I can't help thinking it's gonna be hard for him.

Youngers better. She'll look more convincing.

I'm starting to wish I had bitten the bullet when I first realized I was trans, back when I was 19.

Looking at old photos of myself, it wouldn't of been that bad....
  • Options
    EuanMebabeEuanMebabe Posts: 1,188
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    mickmars wrote: »
    If you want honesty,I think its madness that someone can turn up working at the office,we all know its a feller in a wig,nobody can mention it,nobody can joke about it and everyone around has to act like it's the most normal thing in the world.
    It makes as much sense to me as a person wanting elephant ears grafted on.
    This may not be the PC enlightened answer,but it is my truth.
    I will standby by for the internet lynching...

This would be my reaction too, and based on my memories of all the different companies I've worked for I think most people would react in the same way.
  • Options
    idlewildeidlewilde Posts: 8,698
    Forum Member
    I think that this "trapped in the wrong body" bit is a load of rubbish. It is not the body that is wrong, it is a mental issue that the person is suffering. I feel sorry for them. Maloney looks like a man in a wig, and it is silly to pretend otherwise.
  • Options
    Hugh JboobsHugh Jboobs Posts: 15,316
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    idlewilde wrote: »
    Maloney looks like a man in a wig, and it is silly to pretend otherwise.

Sadly for transsexuals, this is generally the case. Virtually every single transsexual I've ever seen has looked like the least convincing woman since Tarzan went through Jane's handbag and ate her lipstick.
  • Options
    Frankie_LittleFrankie_Little Posts: 9,271
    Forum Member
    I really try not to be judgemental, but when one of my friends from university, a tall lad, well over 6ft and big built (he used to play rugby) decided he wanted to wear female clothes, I found it difficult. He didn't talk about actually wanting gender reassignment surgery though. He used to buy glittery dresses and sparkly shoes, and have his nails done at a salon. I remember the first time he turned up dressed as Nikki rather than Nick, and I felt embarrassed for him, because there was so much nudging, pointing and surreptitious giggling. I've got over it now, he's the same friend he was before, but he does have terrible taste in frocks!!
  • Options
    JasonJason Posts: 76,557
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    idlewilde wrote: »
    I think that this "trapped in the wrong body" bit is a load of rubbish. It is not the body that is wrong, it is a mental issue that the person is suffering. I feel sorry for them. Maloney looks like a man in a wig, and it is silly to pretend otherwise.

So do you think the same about gay people then ?. That it's just a "mental issue" ?