Options

Windows XP RUNDLL Error

LojenLojen Posts: 1,009
Forum Member
✭✭✭
About a year ago I had a virus that I successfully (I think) removed. To do so I had to run the virus software after booting to a command prompt as it was not possible to delete the infected file with Windows running.

Since then every time I boot, Windows plays the error sound, and I get the following message on my screen:

Error loading C:\WINDOWS\system32\abmdolk.dll
The specified module could not be found

I can just close this out and carry on as normal from this point, but it irritates the hell out of me and was hoping someone could help me find whatever it is that needs editing to stop this happening.

Comments

• Options
    ForestChavForestChav Posts: 35,127
    Forum Member
    looks like something's still trying to load the virus... I'd run scans with sas and mbam to try and clean it out, then post a hijackthis if it's still doing it.
  • Options
    flagpoleflagpole Posts: 44,641
    Forum Member
    yeah i think it's just trying to load the virus which isn't there anymore. (which is a good thing)

start - run - type msconfig - go to startup tab

delete the offending entry.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    flagpole: unless the virus has morphed into other dlls, that is. This message is *usually* a sign it's clean, thankfully, but i would still run scans to be safe.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    OK thanks, am running the scans now, and will run msconfig. Thanks for the help.
  • Options
    flagpoleflagpole Posts: 44,641
    Forum Member
    sure - but i rather got the impression that he regarded his computer as clean and this as just the dregs that he's been meaning to get rid of for completeness.

but yes run scans to check that there is nothing on your computer. malwarebytes would be no bad place to start.

but if everything's clean then do what i said.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    and if it is clean, and nothing obvious is causing it in msconfig... then i would cclean it with both the main cleaner and the registry fixer.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    OK the scans were clean (apart from a few tracking cookies) and by using msconfig the error message is gone. Happy days and many thanks :)