Does this mean no more River Song?

13»

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,702
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I adore River.

I understand the people feeling she is too much of a device, but that's what I think is so awesome.

We have had years of the Doctor being told over and over how bad he is for those he loves, (during the RTD era this was a big deal, I enjoyed it mostly before it got all angsty), yet the consequences were sort of lacking.

Everyone got a happy ever after.

I feel like River is the embodiment of the sacrifices that the Doctor's companions make. She is a symbol of all that good and bad being associated with him can bring.

Having been a bit confused in terms of Rory and Amy before, and still very curious as to how they will deal with not finding baby Melody since I presume that is not possible now, I am appreciating them more and more.

They have not just lost a few years, or lost memories or been dumped in an alternate universe with a doppelganger-they have lost their child, whether they know she is River and awesome or not. This is pretty dark.

River herself has had her whole life shaped by the Doctor, every facet almost though that makes me love her independence all the more, and the fact that we know she dies for him, (yes I know she is in the library, but she's dead to all intents and purposes) is tragic but more so for him.

He has oft been accused of ruining lives etc, but with River, he gets to make amends as best he can. To me that is heart breaking and hugely entertaining as he navigates the most unique relationship with another being for a very long time.

People say she is all knowing, but he knows she dies for him from their first meeting- obviously she doesn't. So it balances out. And I enjoy him having someone as wily as he is to work with, and his choice to enrich her life rather than avoid her because of guilt is pure Doctor to me, and I am not looking forward to her leaving the show.

She is a purely Doctor Who creation, not a regular person dealing with weirdness and I like that balance to the one offs and monsters and smaller stories.

I'll miss her and Eleven when they are no longer around, but am grateful to have it bookended already-we now have her birth, her death, his first meeting and her first meeting-I'll take whatever else they give me, and hope we get payoff for Rory and Amy at some point because she is theirs, and they don't feel like that yet.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 30
    Forum Member
    Actually, the more I think about it the more I hope this series does see the end of River Song because I simply don't think I can bear to watch her and the doctor developing a full blown 'relationship'. Her character needs a very different kind of Doctor from the one Matt Smith has given us so far ( and his take on the doctor is so great I don't want him changing).
    Best case scenario for me would be some sort of reset button in the finale whereby Rory and Amy get their baby back and bring her up to be Melody Williams, geography teacher, and the doctor facilitates that by nobly giving up his future with River (and their prospective child whose name it is, I am convinced, that the doctor saw on that cot.)
    I'm sorry to have to say this as I have enormous respect for Steven Moffatt, and also for Dr Who, but I think he has gone somewhat astray with the story arcs and made them too intricate. I am completely lost on the chronology at the moment and can't quite work out why they are heading towards April 2011 when it has already happened - hasn't it? Only with an older doctor.
    Anyway I'm still trusting he'll get back on track.