Why is radio1 ignoring Leah McFall?

RyclopsRyclops Posts: 500
Forum Member
✭✭
Leah McFall's proper debut single 'Home' isn't play listed on either radio 1, 1xtra or capitals playlist. Why are they completely ignoring someone who had so much hype on BBC's own singing reality show-especially when they haven't had a major successful star from it?

The single features Will.I.Am, currently at number 1 with his own (horrendous) single, so you can't say it's not exactly relevant, and the single is pretty good. I thought that the BBC would be well and truly behind her.

Any thoughts?

Comments

• boddismboddism Posts: 16,436
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Ryclops wrote: »
    Leah McFall's proper debut single 'Home' isn't play listed on either radio 1, 1xtra or capitals playlist. Why are they completely ignoring someone who had so much hype on BBC's own singing reality show-especially when they haven't had a major successful star from it?

The single features Will.I.Am, currently at number 1 with his own (horrendous) single, so you can't say it's not exactly relevant, and the single is pretty good. I thought that the BBC would be well and truly behind her.

Any thoughts?

Personally I don't like the song.
    But aside from that last year Radio 1 & 1xtra were all over Tyler James's Worry about You (her predessor) - which sadly (& inexplicably) wasn't a hit
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Any thoughts?
    They have had a successful star: Becky Hill. Its not "on message" ( she was only a semi finalists) but she's had 2 top 10 hits incl a No1.
  • BRITLANDBRITLAND Posts: 3,443
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've wondered this too? Maybe the stations think The Voice is "uncool" and won't playlist her?

I hope not, perhaps it's due to the lack of promotion, maybe she get the support when she & will promote it everywhere
  • mgvsmithmgvsmith Posts: 16,456
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Any thoughts?

I don't think it's a great song actually.
    Leah has a different voice it might be hard to find the right material.
    I think she should go really retro (70s type soul) and reinterpret it.
    Otherwise she will just get lost in the conveyor belt of young female artists.
  • GlassBalloonGlassBalloon Posts: 2,571
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    mgvsmith wrote: »
    I don't think it's a great song actually.
    Leah has a different voice it might be hard to find the right material.
    I think she should go really retro (70s type soul) and reinterpret it.
    Otherwise she will just get lost in the conveyor belt of young female artists.

This is it. Leah is so unique but this song is so boring and run-of-the-mill. She needs better material and she could well be a star but maybe she needs to separate from Will.i.am.
  • barrcode88barrcode88 Posts: 6,849
    Forum Member
    Because it isn't released yet?

She's been on MTV, 4Music, Chart Show TV, Capital FM promoting the thing, Radio 1 isn't the be all and end all.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    But Radio 1 & 1extra were all over Tyler James 2 weeks before his single was released. And Bo Bruce got attention from Radio2.
    So its not without precedent that The Voice acts get attention
  • JamieHTJamieHT Posts: 12,205
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It's a very bland song. Personally, her style puts me off too.
  • Mr_EyeMr_Eye Posts: 1,495
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Because it's shit. Next question.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 841
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Any thoughts?

Says it all really!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 123
    Forum Member
    I was looking forward to Leahs' debut single, but that made my ears bleed.

what a shame, hope the rest of the album's better.
  • qwerty_1234qwerty_1234 Posts: 950
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Without actually looking at the facts, apart from listening to it, all I can suggest is that it's because it's just not very good.

Plus, I know she has a core following but really... does anybody really remember her?!
  • montyburns56montyburns56 Posts: 2,011
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Because she doesn't have enough Facebook likes/Twitter followers?

http://www.theguardian.com/media/2014/may/25/radio-1-playlist-secrets-uncovered-battle-of-brands
  • mialiciousmialicious Posts: 4,686
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    There is probably another act from the voice that has a higher priority at the moment, its already been mentioned that they are giving a will.i.am song heavy rotation. there are only so many songs they can take from each label/tv show to fill the 20 or so slots on their playlist. depends who has the deepest pockets. and there is no real buzz around her. the voice is putting the majority of their money on the will.i.am song.
  • d56d56 Posts: 5,471
    Forum Member
    It's just not great imo.

Don't get me wrong, I loved Leah on The Voice but if you're going to come from a show like that where you didn't win, you need a song that stands out and this doesn't to me. If she would have come back with a song like Ella Hendersons Ghost then it could be a different story.
    Plus I don't believe people from The Voice have anywhere NEAR the momentum or anticipation that people from The X Factor have...
  • kirbyreedkirbyreed Posts: 1,816
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    She has gone in the completely wrong musical direction in my opinion.
  • mimicolemimicole Posts: 50,984
    Forum Member
    I haven't even heard of her but from the replies on this thread it seems that she is from The Voice. If this is the case then it surprises me that she isn't getting attention from Radio 1 as she won a BBC competition.
  • JustArunJustArun Posts: 8,941
    Forum Member
    Radio 1 have also ignored Nicole Scherzinger, Cher Lloyd, Alexandra Burke and Pixie Lott.
  • Aura101Aura101 Posts: 8,327
    Forum Member
    you would think the BBC would be pushing for a hit from The Voice, why they havent playlisted the song is beyond me, infact i am amazed Will.I.Am hasnt thrown a hissy fit and threatened to quit the show if they dont playlist it.

no its not anything groundbreaking, but its a decent enough song, and better than half the sh!te they churn out. so im surprised and disapointed.
  • mimicolemimicole Posts: 50,984
    Forum Member
    Aura101 wrote: »
    you would think the BBC would be pushing for a hit from The Voice, why they havent playlisted the song is beyond me, infact i am amazed Will.I.Am hasnt thrown a hissy fit and threatened to quit the show if they dont playlist it.

no its not anything groundbreaking, but its a decent enough song, and better than half the sh!te they churn out. so im surprised and disapointed.

Is he prone to throwing hissy fits?
  • LewnaticcLewnaticc Posts: 3,933
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Playlisting music from talent show winners isn't groovy. Radio rarely playlist them unless there's been substantial hype (Ella Henderson), it's a sure-hit (irritatingly infectious Olly Murs bops), or they're super famous no one gives a shit (One Direction).

Leah was fun to watch on The Voice but it's like Sharon Osbourne said the other week, it's all temporary fame. Who cares about Leah what's-her-name? She's not musically ground-breaking or famous. (This isn't necessarily my opinion, it's just how this industry operates. Radio can't be playing songs from a nobody now, can they?)
  • kirbyreedkirbyreed Posts: 1,816
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Lewnaticc wrote: »
    Playlisting music from talent show winners isn't groovy. Radio rarely playlist them unless there's been substantial hype (Ella Henderson), it's a sure-hit (irritatingly infectious Olly Murs bops), or they're super famous no one gives a shit (One Direction).

None of thise people you named won their show.
  • jazzyminajazzymina Posts: 67
    Forum Member
    because the song is not good enough.

I like the verses but the chorus is crap.
  • spaceygalspaceygal Posts: 3,448
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Lewnaticc wrote: »
    Radio can't be playing songs from a nobody now, can they?)

Lol but every singer is a "nobody" until they start having hits and then become more known, aren't they? I mean, don't radio stations ever play new songs by brand new artists? Pixie Lott (just an example) was unknown before her first single, which I believe was played on the radio and then she became a "somebody"/known lol. Same with any new artist bringing out music for the first time. That's what doesn't make sense. Or don't radio stations ever play debut singles by any artists?! It's bonkers!
  • mialiciousmialicious Posts: 4,686
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    spaceygal wrote: »
    Lol but every singer is a "nobody" until they start having hits and then become more known, aren't they? I mean, don't radio stations ever play new songs by brand new artists? Pixie Lott (just an example) was unknown before her first single, which I believe was played on the radio and then she became a "somebody"/known lol. Same with any new artist bringing out music for the first time. That's what doesn't make sense. Or don't radio stations ever play debut singles by any artists?! It's bonkers!

The radio stations don't care if they're making hits or helping new bands, it isn't a medium for music they just need to sell pepsi and apple products, The problem is no one will tune in to just adverts and weather reports,so they play songs in-between from whichever of the 3 major corporation's that is paying the most.