Chicken Kiev/Pollo Sopresso

dollylovesshoesdollylovesshoes Posts: 14,531
Forum Member
✭✭
Not sure the correct spelling of the pollo one.:o:o

Many years ago Kiev was very popular in the 70's I loved it but I just used to bash the chicken breast till quite fine then place a long sausage thing of garlic butter , place in fridge for a while then do the rolling up etc, I used those days make a couple of stitches so the breast didnt come apart in the fryer.:o

What I would like to know, the breast with the little bone in you get in a restaurant (is it a supreme?) how do you get to roll it like that and it stays in place when you deep fry?? I have seen various piccs of stages of how to do it but still doesnt make a lot of sense? :o:confused:

Why I'm asking is that I went to a lovely Italian restaurant last week and they had the Sopresso on the menu it was really gorgeous and would love to cook this particular one at home. :D

Comments

• degsyhufcdegsyhufc Posts: 59,251
    Forum Member
    The way I have seen it done on TV shows is to take a small, sharp knife and make an incision into the breast, being careful not to pierce the sides.
    Make a few slits in the inside of the breast so you can stretch the flesh.
    Then put your finger in to make the pocket bigger.
    Then spoon or pipe the butter into the pocket.
  • dollylovesshoesdollylovesshoes Posts: 14,531
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    degsyhufc wrote: »
    The way I have seen it done on TV shows is to take a small, sharp knife and make an incision into the breast, being careful not to pierce the sides.
    Make a few slits in the inside of the breast so you can stretch the flesh.
    Then put your finger in to make the pocket bigger.
    Then spoon or pipe the butter into the pocket.

Oh!:confused: When I seen the breasts sold they are just a breast with the little end bone on them! All flat like. Can you buy them then already rolled etc?:confused:
  • degsyhufcdegsyhufc Posts: 59,251
    Forum Member
    All Chicken Kievs that i've seen are bonless Chicken breasts, beaten out, stuffed, rolled, egged, breadcrumbed.

The Chicken pocket one wasn't bashed out or breadcrumed. A slit was made into the end of the breast to make a pocket where the stuffing could be piped in.
    Not sure of the culinary term to describe it.
  • SystemSystem Posts: 2,096,970
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I do a cheats Chicken Kiev.

Allow 1 chicken breast per person.
    Make a pocket in the meat, stuff with a low fat garlic and herb cream cheese. (Supermarket own brand ones are fine for this)
    Wrap in foil and bake in the oven.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 301
    Forum Member
    Use the supreme fillet; cut it to size and use it to fill the hole.

Then put in milk and then flour, leave it in the fridge for a bit. Then put into beaten egg then breadcrumbs. The double coating should keep it all in place.