Billy Connolly's Route 66

12346»

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 930
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Osusana wrote: »
    Please do not rely on this programme as a guide to what there is to see and do on Route 66.

Totally agree, it was a shame, the Road deserves better coverage than that. Henry Cole did the trip on World's Greatest Motorcycle Rides on The Travel Channel, sooooo much better.
  • StansfieldStansfield Posts: 6,097
    Forum Member
    degsyhufc wrote: »
    Last episode tonight. I feels like they could have streched it out over more, but in saying that the previous episodes could have crammed more in. I guess it would change the leisurely feel to it though.
    Just got round to watching the Final episode last night...and you did feel, at the end....they could have added a couple more programmes......Still a very enjoyable Series.
    sandydune wrote: »
    A cave hotel, now that is something different.:D
    I'd want the Lights left on.:)
  • Bulletguy1Bulletguy1 Posts: 18,429
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Osusana wrote: »
    I have to disagree and I'm speaking as someone who 'did' Route 66 in April last year. Please do not rely on this programme as a guide to what there is to see and do on Route 66. There were 6 of us that went and we all agreed that this was not a route 66 road trip at all; it was more a "Billy Connolly drives some of Route 66 and makes lots of detours to places not on it"!

He told you nothing of why it was built dog-legged, what it was made of - good old Portland concrete slabs for the most part. He went to a rodeo in a place NOT on Route 66. We also did the detour to Monument Valley, Grand Canyon and Death Valley but religiously back tracked to pick up the road where we left it.
    Blink and you missed New Mexico on this programme, which was our favourite place - Tucumcari is a splendid stop and has more of the original neon-lit motels still in use than anywhere else. He went to a shop in Albuquerque and didn't even mention the glorious Sante Fe - another high spot and quite important in the life of the Mother Road.
    He drove through the fascinating Oatman (you just about saw the wild burros on the street) - this is a proper Wild west town that had/has gold mines.
    Flagstaff is wonderful, not to mention all the tiny towns that are still occupied although in decay.
    When we went to the Cadillac Ranch it was filthy, decrepit and there were used aerosol cans all over the place, with other litter - it was clearly cleaned up for the cameras.

I'll stop ranting now - but to us this programme was a HUGE disappointment (unlike our adventure) and glossed over a lot of what the trip is all about.
    BC is an entertaining presenter but this trip was very little to do with Route 66 apart from going from Chicago to LA.
    Interesting post giving another view.

Connolly excels at documentary presentation and I like his style of making you feel as though you are there with him. IMO this series could have been better if it had been shown on BBC1 or 2 as four one hour episodes, rather than on ITV which amounted to little more than 40 minutes per episode after annoying 'ad breaks' were taken out. Maybe that goes some way to explaining why the series was not an 'in depth' tour of Route 66. After all I doubt Connolly has much say in the matter of what get's binned and what get's shown.....which i'd imagine (for him) to be pretty damn frustrating!

How long were you on tour?

I ask out of personal interest as I considered touring the US in a camper from east coast down to south then across to the west coast and back to the east via the north. But it seems the longest you can get a Visa for is six months.....and i'd need at least 12 if not 18 months.
  • fmradiotuner1fmradiotuner1 Posts: 20,498
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    This sounds pretty good starting in another week will defo watch
    http://www.itv.com/presscentre/press-releases/billy-connollys-tracks-across-america
  • degsyhufcdegsyhufc Posts: 59,251
    Forum Member
    It will be interesting to see how he comes across. I thought his health was deteriorating?
  • GrafenwalderGrafenwalder Posts: 8,004
    Forum Member
    It will be interesting to see how he comes across. I thought his health was deteriorating?
    He has Parkinsons and now struggles to remember his lines. He is 73 years old but it's still quite sad.

I love his tours but the most memorable for me was his Tour of Scotland.
  • U96U96 Posts: 13,937
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    http://www.itv.com/presscentre/press-releases/billy-connollys-tracks-across-america

Yes,i will definitely be watching.It is on Friday night 9 till 10.Love the Big Yin.:cool:
  • U96U96 Posts: 13,937
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    He has Parkinsons and now struggles to remember his lines. He is 73 years old but it's still quite sad.

I love his tours but the most memorable for me was his Tour of Scotland.

I was wondering why it is only 3 episodes and i guess it was because of his health.
    Might even be his TV presenting swan song.
    True,his tour of Scotland was fantastic.He has such a connection with everyone,a real natural,effortless.
  • degsyhufcdegsyhufc Posts: 59,251
    Forum Member
    Saw the trailer last night and he sounded fine. I guess it's just scripts he has problems with and is fine when talking unscrpted.
  • mrs_batemanmrs_bateman Posts: 67
    Forum Member

Thanks for that, always found his previous shows good watching.
  • BadLadAshBadLadAsh Posts: 28,488
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

This sounds amazing! thanks for that, I had no idea about it. Can't wait! :D
  • GrafenwalderGrafenwalder Posts: 8,004
    Forum Member
    Saw the trailer last night and he sounded fine. I guess it's just scripts he has problems with and is fine when talking unscrpted.
    Let's hope so as imo unscripted stuff is what Connolly excels at. I imagine his tours to be less of a strain than learning comedy routine as Connolly is a born natural when it comes to chatting to people. His natural wit also comes through then too. He doesn't need a script for that!!
  • fmradiotuner1fmradiotuner1 Posts: 20,498
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    bump for tonight
  • BadLadAshBadLadAsh Posts: 28,488
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Looking forward to this, hope it's as good as the route 66 one.