Wild At Heart

Comments

• scragendscragend Posts: 422
    Forum Member
    I really liked Wild At Heart :o

Yes, it was rubbish - the acting was wooden and the plots had holes so big you could drive a herd of wildebeest through them - but all the same it had a kind of a cult following from me.

Glad to see it went out in a manner befitting the series - the whole flying to Zimbabwe thing was so implausible!

RIP Anders Du Plessis
  • Matt35Matt35 Posts: 29,798
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Loved every ep of wild at heart. It was a perfect Sunday evening show. Don't even know why ITV axed since it was one of their highest rated shows.
  • HumidHumid Posts: 1,782
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Shame the way the last episode went. Laughable 'plot', poor ending. Tompkinson's 'acting' was poor as usual.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 349
    Forum Member
    I haven't seen tonight's episode yet as had other stuff to do. It doesn't matter that I know the ending or anything as I know I'll still cry my eyes out (knowing might help!)

I'm sad that it's ended now, I was never bothered about bad acting, or how bad the stories were as to me it was just a light hearted, easy watch show and the scenery/animals were just amazing. This program joins a list of other shows such as The Bill, Heartbeat and The Royal which ITV also got rid of. Now I'll have to find something else to watch.
  • ChrissieAOChrissieAO Posts: 5,141
    Forum Member
    Well, I am sorry the series has now ended. It really surprises me the criticisms I am reading about Stephen Tomkinson's acting. I think he made the part of Danny very believable and the same goes for the rest of the cast. The story line was often a bit far fetched but that was part of the charm of the series, it was pure escapism.
    A bit of a tearjerking ending but also left you with a feel good feeling....
  • mikebukmikebuk Posts: 18,720
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    From all the talk of a very sad ending by LJH, I was waiting for those poachers' colleagues to come over and shoot the cast down during the wedding as a shock to the audience who were only going to expect Dup's death.
  • tjbantamtjbantam Posts: 1,330
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Did Dup die?

I know they wrote the ending to lead us in that direction, but as we never saw the loveable old git croak, could it not just be that he left the wedding to go to his favourite spot and take time to himself to think about the people he has around him for whatever time he has left rather than him being about to kick the bucket?
  • DianeDiane Posts: 1,389
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Loved the series and sad it has ended. Beautiful animals out there to watch and enjoy and such a sad ending for Dup. Will miss it
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 32
    Forum Member
    I really enjoyed the series - can't believe there won't be any more. I
    think I might start from the beginning as they're showing them soon on ITV3.
  • sherisgirlsherisgirl Posts: 2,405
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Another fan of this series, loved it inbetween D-on-I whiled away a sunday night in jan,

Also had a tear, and glad they ended it that way,,

Agree with the poster who mentioned cowels rubbish slipping and still getting his programmes made,

Looking forward to behind the scenes show with the animals,
  • Chloe_BeadsChloe_Beads Posts: 197
    Forum Member
    does any one know when this special ep is on again i was in hospital with my son and dont ave catch up really gutted i didnt see it!!!! thanks if any one can help x
  • mklassmklass Posts: 3,412
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    How long after the last series is this special meant to be? Alice was pregant in the last series but that kid looks a couple of years old :eek:

Haha i didn't even notice a new child in the episode????... and to be honest it is so long ago since the end of the last series that i had completely forgotton that Alice was pregnant!:confused:... and while i am on that subject!, i dont remember anything about the daughter (cant remember her name), meeting and falling in love and planning on getting married either!...

I do though think this series has run it course, there were too many cast changes for me, and when they brought Hayley Mills in, well i think that was the writing on the wall for it!.. She is such a major name in the film industry that, that is all i am afraid i see!.. same a Elizabeth Taylor when she was in anything in her later years, the name is so big that you dont see the part they are playing you only see the star!..

As for Tompkinson, (sorry dont know what his first name is) !! the comments on his acting ability are so correct!, I quite liked him when the show first started as i had never seen him in anything else, but then he made some sort of police series and as i started to watch it i realised how bad an actor he was, his face never cracks a smile and as others have said he is so wooden its not true!.... i quickly turned off and have never watched it again....

On saying all that, i did like the show when it first started but have to agree it has run its course and had to end..................

R.I.P. Wild at Heart...................;)
  • ABCZYXABCZYX Posts: 12,100
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    mklass wrote: »
    I do though think this series has run it course, there were too many cast changes for me, and when they brought Hayley Mills in, well i think that was the writing on the wall for it!.. She is such a major name in the film industry that, that is all i am afraid i see!.. same a Elizabeth Taylor when she was in anything in her later years, the name is so big that you dont see the part they are playing you only see the star!

She first appeared in the second series five years ago, so I don't think that she was responsible for it ending. It would surely have ended long before it did if that was the case.

I'm looking forward to the documentary that's going to be shown tonight.
  • timetosaygoodbytimetosaygoodby Posts: 2,063
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    in an ending to a tv series you want an ending that is true to the show, the characters and the various storylines. It was a very good ending because it reflected the characters, what had happened over the years and the rest of the series. I was perhaps expecting some characters e.g. Evan to come back for the finale
  • yourfabulousyourfabulous Posts: 1,067
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I didn't watch the last series but I had to watch the finale and I found the ending very moving. Brilliant but very sad. :(
  • BarracuteBarracute Posts: 242,800
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Good documentary tonight,The animals are the stars! I had seen the Giraffe-in-the-pool bit before, on a featurette on the ITV website when it happened though. A nice coda for the series, still gutted its over!:(
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 44
    Forum Member
    I loved WAH and watched every episode right from the beginning. Sad it had to end, but I think it had run its course. I'm glad they gave us a proper 'finale', even though it had a death at the end. Though Anders' death was very well handled - no death bed scene or anything like that.
  • BlackTarantulaBlackTarantula Posts: 359
    Forum Member
    A good finale for the show (saw every episode right from the beginning too), although they didn't have to write Max out to begin with, did they? Unless the actor was too busy or didn't want to come back, they could've just had a Rosie/Max reunion instead of making her remarry. Oh well.

Would've liked to have seen characters from the past like Evan, Vanessa, Rowan and maybe even Caroline's sister at the wedding. It was sad that those characters didn't come back for it (just like Rosie, Evan and Olivia were missing for the Caroline/Du Plessis wedding a few years ago, for example). Danny's speech would've been more poignant with more familiar faces there.

On the subject of the time when this episode takes place: Olivia said it had been nearly a year since she got together with Fatani. Presumably Ed Lynch (Robert Bathurst) walked away from Mara with or without his wife Fiona during that year. Alice gave birth off-screen last series so the baby is about a year old. We know Rosie met Dylan 8 months before this episode, so that happened after the last series.

After everything Dup and Caroline had been through, it was sad that the former died. I guess it was only a matter of time after his health scares in series 2 and series 5 though.

Will miss Wild at Heart, it was a great show despite the over-reliance on certain plot devices like Du Plessis ticking everyone off with his latest scheme. The cast and the setting were wonderful.

ITV were encouraging viewers to post their views on Twitter when the finale aired and they did the same when the filming with animals documentary aired. I wonder if there's any hope of a revival down the line if they're interested in what the fans have to say? Obviously the show wouldn't be the same without Du Plessis but there's still potential.
  • GroutyGrouty Posts: 33,944
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Its being repeated from the beginning on ITV3, starts 14th January 2pm & 7pm, so i guess The Royal is finishing :)
  • miss buzzybeemiss buzzybee Posts: 16,427
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Just watched the final episode, crying now!!. It was a nice easy drama to brighten up Sunday nights, esp in winter. Suppose we just have more Syco dross to look forward to now!.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5
    Forum Member
    Watched the final episode yesterday, really enjoyed the rest of the series but thought the ending could have been a bit brighter.
  • GroutyGrouty Posts: 33,944
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just a reminder, starts tomorrow 2pm, ITV3 :)
  • bluesdiamondbluesdiamond Posts: 11,360
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Grouty wrote: »
    Just a reminder, starts tomorrow 2pm, ITV3 :)

darn will be working...still got the trusty dvd collection
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 69
    Forum Member
    Dehett wrote: »
    I loved WAH and watched every episode right from the beginning. Sad it had to end, but I think it had run its course. I'm glad they gave us a proper 'finale', even though it had a death at the end. Though Anders' death was very well handled - no death bed scene or anything like that.

i sometimes think there are two kinds of audience. Those who criticise and those who enjoy. Wild at Heart was a series of the Heart. It seems to me either you enjioyed it with all its faults because its heart was in the right place, and it actually had a heart, or you criticesed it for its faulkts and forgot the heart.

These days I feel there is too much emphasis on criticism and not enough appreciation of heartfelt enjoyment. Good programmes with a heart arte being axed so that stupid programmes can be made cheaper with no heart. I'll probably get shot down for saying that but that's how I feel.

From the 60s to now, half the succesful series wouldbn't have survived to provide enjoyable entertainment if critics had had their way. I don't care if acting is wooden and other technicalities not quite right. If the chemistry is right and the humour is there and I enjoy, as with WAH, that's all that matters for me.

Maybe TV producers will rediscover the heart one day and produce more heartfelt entertainment. Until then those programmes will be axed, and mindless cheap rreality will replace them. And people like me will resort to DVDs (thank God for which!) and avoid modern heaertless and souless TV like the plague.

That's how I feel...
  • colgirlcolgirl Posts: 242
    Forum Member
    I watched WAH right from the very start when Amanda Holden was his wife and I've always really enjoyed it. It was one of those cosy sunday evening programmes that would really brighten up a dull, cold winter's night. So nice to watch something that doesn't contain someone stripping off (needlessly), having sex or swearing. :D