Options

Connecting Sky HD to a TV...

2»

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 20
    Forum Member
    The money is half the problem. The actual box is an eyesore.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,819
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    MaxCherry wrote:
    This sounds like its gonna be a huge ball ache.

Ive seen HD in action and it looks amazing, but Im not really looking forward to shelling out £300 and then not being able to receive all the channels.

I think im better waiting for it rather than ordering it for the release. If it means having to buy a TV with a HDMI connection they can eff'off.

It means having a TV with an HDMI, DVI or component video input.

What Sky have said is that all their channels (inc Sky Movies) will be on the component outputs. It is however something that a broadcaster can select, so they not unreasonably point out that they can't guarantee that other broadcasters using the system won't choose to switch component off.

However as yet none have said they intend to, so you'll be fine.
  • Options
    NoEntry2kNoEntry2k Posts: 14,994
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    sanderton wrote:
    It means having a TV with an HDMI, DVI or component video input.

But i have a DVI input on my TV but its not HDCP enabled so chances are i won't be able to connect the box to my TV (i'll be using the scart connection on the box to go to my DVD recorder) as my TV only has scart, S-video, VGA and DVI.
  • Options
    imackenimacken Posts: 141
    Forum Member
    Can I just be clear here what you guys are saying?
    1) Is the picture quality and resolution the same from component video and HDMI?
    2) If yes, then is the only difference between them that there MAY be some broadcasts that will not be recordable from component?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    NoEntry2k wrote:
    But i have a DVI input on my TV but its not HDCP enabled so chances are i won't be able to connect the box to my TV (i'll be using the scart connection on the box to go to my DVD recorder) as my TV only has scart, S-video, VGA and DVI.

There is a box which converts HDMI (with HDCP) to VGA, so that should be something you should look into.

http://www.keene.co.uk/cgi-bin/bigcodesearch.pl?DVIFIX
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    imacken wrote:
    Can I just be clear here what you guys are saying?
    1) Is the picture quality and resolution the same from component video and HDMI?
    2) If yes, then is the only difference between them that there MAY be some broadcasts that will not be recordable from component?

The resolutions are the same. In theory the picture from HDMI should be better than component as there is an extra digital to analogue-analogue to digital cycle for component, but in practice the difference would be very hard to spot.

Right now there is no such thing as a component recorder. Obviously everything will be recordable from the Sky+ box, but I would peresonally doubt that the copy protection will let you make copies to disc by any means, HDMI or not.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,022
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    sanderton wrote:
    There is a box which converts HDMI (with HDCP) to VGA, so that should be something you should look into.

That won't work with an HDCP encoded signal, unfortunately. The TV needs to "handshake" with the HDMI (or DVI-D) output to let it know that the display device is HDCP enabled.

However, you can get Component to VGA or Component to RGB converters, so he should be OK.

Chip

EDIT: My apologies, I stand corrected. I see the box says "fully HDCP compliant" I guess the box itself must do the handshaking.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    sanderton wrote:

At £225 i don't think so.

This looks like a better (and cheaper) option, compent to VGA cable:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=5856367475
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    NoEntry2k wrote:
    At £225 i don't think so.

This looks like a better (and cheaper) option, compent to VGA cable:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=5856367475

That "thing" won't work. Its merely a connector for projectors that will accept component video through their VGA connectors. It doesn't "convert" anything.

Chip
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    From the webpage:

"This cable is designed for satellite TV, HDTV, component RGB video, Y/Pb/Pr video and most LCD projectors. These cable will work with all progressive scan and HDTV signals including 480i, 480p, 1080i, 720p, and all other video signals with no signal loss"

What makes you think this type of cable wont work to connect a component on a HD box to a VGA on a TV???
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    NoEntry2k wrote:
    From the webpage:

"This cable is designed for satellite TV, HDTV, component RGB video, Y/Pb/Pr video and most LCD projectors. These cable will work with all progressive scan and HDTV signals including 480i, 480p, 1080i, 720p, and all other video signals with no signal loss"

What makes you think this type of cable wont work to connect a component on a HD box to a VGA on a TV???

Simple. Because VGA connectors don't carry component (i.e YUV) signals.

VGA signals are R G & B with separate H and V syncs. Component video is Y U and V. The two formats are completely incompatible.

It doesn't matter how you wire the cable up, it just won't work.

Chip

EDIT: I see its a VGA to component cable. Not a component to VGA cable. Its intended for use with PC video cards that can be made to *output* component video on the VGA port.

It says, "Your video source must provide a YPbPr component video signal from the HD15 port to use this cable. "
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    So bottom line - how would you connect a Sky HD box to a non-HD ready TV using its DVI/VGA inputs?

(PS - i know we are all guessing a bit at the moment as Sky HD has not even launched yet, im just interested really).
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 219
    Forum Member
    Psycho_Ned wrote:
    lol I think if you spent at least £300 on a sky HD box then connected it to your 26"+ HD TV via RF you would need the men in white coats sending round!

Be like driving a ferrari around in 1st gear :p

We'll I'll be using the HDMI to my LCD panel, S-video to my DVD recorder, and RF to my RF amplifier to the other rooms in the house.

So quite useful for me.

Bring on the men in white coats!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If the TV has DVI (hdcp enabled), then its easy. You just need an HDMI to DVI cable and your away. The Sky+ HD box has HDMI out, so there's no problem there.

If the TV has component video inputs, likewise just connect it up.

If the TV only has VGA (or if it has a non-hdcp compatible DVI input) you will need some sort of component video to RGB converter box. I must confess I haven't managed to find one. There are plenty that do the conversion the other way around (RGB to Component) but Component to RGB is rare.

BTW, when you say a "non HD ready" TV, I am still assuming it can display a 720p or 1080i signal. If it can't you're stuck with s-video or Scart RGB.

Chip

EDIT: This box will do it (assuming your TV has the option to sync on green via the VGA socket):

http://www.kramerelectronics.com/indexes/item.asp?pic=65

Might be a bit pricey though ;-)

Or you could of course use the box suggested by Sanderton
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Hmmmm, i may be stuck with scart and s video....at least the Sky box will have 2 RGB scarts and 1 s-video output so i can connected to the TV and DVD Recorder.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    NoEntry2k wrote:
    So bottom line - how would you connect a Sky HD box to a non-HD ready TV using its DVI/VGA inputs?

(PS - i know we are all guessing a bit at the moment as Sky HD has not even launched yet, im just interested really).

Er, using the box I linked to. I think that (or a similar product) are your only options.

You only have two inputs which support HD (RGB doesn't), a DVI without HDCP will almost certainly not work, so you have to use the VGA port.

There may be component to VGA converters, but they probably won't be any cheaper than the DVI-VGA one.

Or buy a new TV!

Any way around, if you want HD, you'll need to open the wallet!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    sanderton wrote:

Any way around, if you want HD, you'll need to open the wallet!

Thats the thing, i don't really want HD TV, i was just trying to find out if my current (non-HD ready TV) will work with a Sky HD box (obviously in SD quality).

To be honest by the time we are all forced to have a Sky HD box will be so many years off (at least 4 to 5 years from now in my opinion) that i will have got a new TV by then anyway.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    NoEntry2k wrote:
    Thats the thing, i don't really want HD TV, i was just trying to find out if my current (non-HD ready TV) will work with a Sky HD box (obviously in SD quality).

If you are only interested in SD quality, why not just use the SCART socket????

Although I can see no reason to get an HD box if you haven't got an HD telly. OK, maybe if you have no Sky+ at all and you are planning on getting an HD TV in a few months, it could make sense to get the Sky+ HD box now I guess.

Chip
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Chippy99 wrote:
    If you are only interested in SD quality, why not just use the SCART socket????

Although I can see no reason to get an HD box if you haven't got an HD telly. OK, maybe if you have no Sky+ at all and you are planning on getting an HD TV in a few months, it could make sense to get the Sky+ HD box now I guess.

Chip

Scart will be used to connect to the DVD recorder. As long as the Sky HD box has two scarts i won't have a problem.

And im talking about when HD is the only option - but as i said i suspect that SD Sky will be around for at least 4-5 years yet so i'll probably have HD TV by then anyway. Call me over paranoid.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 185
    Forum Member
    MaxCherry wrote:
    This sounds like its gonna be a huge ball ache.

Ive seen HD in action and it looks amazing, but Im not really looking forward to shelling out £300 and then not being able to receive all the channels.

I think im better waiting for it rather than ordering it for the release. If it means having to buy a TV with a HDMI connection they can eff'off.

Why not have the nearly best of both worlds. Buy the Sharp LC32P50E which has a HDMI connection and which, I am told, shows HD with its 960x540 resolution as effectively as the 1366x768 resolution sets. Also, it apparently shows ST as good as CRT.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Why not have the nearly best of both worlds. Buy the Sharp LC32P50E which has a HDMI connection and which, I am told, shows HD with its 960x540 resolution as effectively as the 1366x768 resolution sets. Also, it apparently shows ST as good as CRT.

I don't want to burst your bubble, but how can a 960x540 display *possibly* show as much detail as a 1280x720 (or larger) display when fed by a 1280x720 signal? Its just impossible.

And also (this is a big issue for me), the black levels achievable on LCD at the moment are still truly terrible. The contrast ratio numbers have got better because the manufacturers have increased the maximum brightness (and therefore the ratio between bright and dark has got higher).

But in absolute terms how black the screen can get is still very poor, especially compared to CRT.

The problem is, when you see and LCD screen in John Lewis, they are invariably showing some bright image - often cartoons, and the store itself is brightly lit. You *never* see them demonstrating some film noir - or something with dark and dingy scenes. Get the TV home and dim the lights in your lounge and you will see just how appalling these LCD's can be. (And I say that as an owner of one!)

Chip
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    NoEntry2k wrote:
    Scart will be used to connect to the DVD recorder. As long as the Sky HD box has two scarts i won't have a problem.

It has exactly same connections as a regular Sky+ bix, plus the HDMI and component HD connectors.

You can loop through a DVD Recorder.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    sanderton wrote:

You can loop through a DVD Recorder.

Not on my you can't, but thats the fault of my DVD Recorder (as it doesn't support signal loop through - LiteOn5005) not the Sky HD box.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 47
    Forum Member
    Chippy99 wrote:
    ........But in absolute terms how black the screen can get is still very poor, especially compared to CRT.

The problem is, when you see and LCD screen in John Lewis, they are invariably showing some bright image - often cartoons, and the store itself is brightly lit. You *never* see them demonstrating some film noir - or something with dark and dingy scenes. Get the TV home and dim the lights in your lounge and you will see just how appalling these LCD's can be. (And I say that as an owner of one!)

Chip

I'm quite happy with my Tosh 32WLT58, the blacks don't have the washed out look they did on earlier LCD's and compare very favourably to the CRT it replaced. Some cheaper LCD's still have this issue but most of the premium brands have more or less resolved this problem. (IMO ;) )