Wireless PCI cards

Hi Folks

A question for you, while waiting and deciding whether to go 64 bit with Windows 7, do you know of a wireless PCI card that is compatible with 64 bit ? I am using a Edimax EW-7128G card at the moment on Vista 32bit, I have checked Ralinks site for a driver but none are avaliable so was wondering what other compatible cards are out there, not had much luck with google so far, so thought I might pop the question on here ..:D
Kind Regards
Alan

Comments

• LoobsterLoobster Posts: 11,680
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    One thing you could do is buy a card which Vista already had a driver for, like one of the old favourite Linksys G cards. If Vista had a built-in driver, it's highly likely that W7 will too.

I know that's not the naswer you wanted, but I don't use any PCI wireless card with W7 so can't give a direct answer.
  • LoobsterLoobster Posts: 11,680
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Someone on the US 'I can't believe it's not ebuyer' site :D posted in their review that it works well with W7 x64:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16833315041

Available from play.com, here:

http://www.play.com/PC/PCs/4-/3476874/Edimax-EW-7128G-Wireless-G-54-Mbps-LAN-PCI-Card-Adaptor/Product.html
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 77
    Forum Member
    Hi Loobster

Thanks for the heads up, its appreciated, I will give it a shot when W 7 is delivered, thanks for your time.. :)

KInd Regards

Alan
    Forum Member
    Welll the Edimax wireless card EW-7128G was not compatible with windows 7 64 bit so I reverted back to windows 7 32 bit where its working ok, it was not even "seen" in 64 bit, so the quest for a PCI wireless adaptor that is Win 7 64 bit compatible will resume, other than the hassle with the card the update has been ok ..:D so far..
  • alanwarwicalanwarwic Posts: 28,396
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Were there no drivers for the actual chipset itself?
    Forum Member
    alanwarwic wrote: »
    Were there no drivers for the actual chipset itself?

I tried the Ralink site but even that driver failed ,,, cwap :D
  • mogwaimogwai Posts: 886
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    wibbleyuk wrote: »
    Welll the Edimax wireless card EW-7128G was not compatible with windows 7 64 bit so I reverted back to windows 7 32 bit where its working ok, it was not even "seen" in 64 bit, so the quest for a PCI wireless adaptor that is Win 7 64 bit compatible will resume, other than the hassle with the card the update has been ok ..:D so far..

I've got an Edimax EW-7728IN PCI card running perfectly fine on Windows 7 64-bit.... I can't remember whether I used the XP or the Vista drivers, but it's definately the Edimax drivers that I'm using.