Songs you think wouldnt have been big if the artist wasnt popular

2»

Comments

• gpkgpk Posts: 10,206
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    JamieHT wrote: »
    I actually think Someone Like You would have sold more if sung by someone else. It IS a good song, but Adele does not have a big enough voice for it. It's the styling and the song itself that got it so popular and not the singer in my opinion - although obviously it did her a lot of favours.

someone like you was certified platinum in the uk alone. that is a sizeable hit by anyone`s standard. i wont go into the other markets it has been a hit in.

i read your post in the other thread. while i respect your prospective. i don't agree with it personally. she has shifted over 5 million copies of her latest album. with no gimmicks or through over exposure.

to suggest she has not got a big enough voice to showcase her own material. well it is just insulting to suggest that she doesn't know her own limits,

she may not be the best singer in the world. however, she is a world class artist.
  • JamieHTJamieHT Posts: 12,205
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    gpk wrote: »
    someone like you was certified platinum in the uk alone. that is a sizeable hit by anyone`s standard. i wont go into the other markets it has been a hit in.

i read your post in the other thread. while i respect your prospective. i don't agree with it personally. she has shifted over 5 million copies of her latest album. with no gimmicks or through over exposure.

to suggest she has not got a big enough voice to showcase her own material. well it is just insulting to suggest that she doesn't know her own limits,

she may not be the best singer in the world. however, she is a world class artist.

I never suggested she hadn't sold a lot. I was merely suggesting that I thought if someone else had sung it, it would have sold more. We will never know.

You may think it insulting, but I think it's true that that song is just a bit too big for her voice.
  • noodkleopatranoodkleopatra Posts: 12,742
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    boddism wrote: »
    Jessie J is more talented!

I dont dislike Cher in particular, but the Cowell route does not bode well if you're looking for a hip or street type of image...:rolleyes:

For a moment I thought you meant THEE Cher, not talent-show Cher. I was gonna say, as much as like Jessie J, I don't think she's in the same kinda musical circle as Cher!! Although, perhaps we could get Jessie J to cover "Believe"... I can't even try and think what it sounds like..

Anyway, JLS. They're not big in Australia - at all - in fact they're not here. But when I hear them on UK Radio, I just think it sounds like the biggest load of dull bullsh*t. Can't understand how they've managed to keep going...

A lot of Britney's latest stuff - it's alright, but it's not brilliant - I think it's built around her loyal gang of devotees. If it was buy anyone else, it just wouldn't sell.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,828
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Eric_Blob wrote: »
    I agree. It's a fantastic song, but it's not mainstream at all. Songs like that need the biggest artists to release them, or else radio won't touch them. I'm glad Cheryl released it though, she could've released another generic pop song like FFTL, but I thought 3 Words was really different.

I think most of Lady Gaga's songs. I think they're all so standard and generic. Like the stuff that Taio Cruz and Enrique Iglesias release. It's nothing revolutionary, but I think because of the image of the artist that releases them, they're seen as edgy and outrageous, etc, but I think they're honestly some of the most predictable songs in recent years.

If Lady Gaga wants to be shocking, etc. she should be releasing songs like Pass Out, Boom Boom Pow, OMG, etc. Songs where you hear them for the first time, and think "Wow. This is a really weird song!"

No she shouldn't. You say this a lot. How would that be weird? As much as I like all those songs,they're not revolutionary either,especially Boom Boom Pow and OMG,where the artists involved jumped on the dance-pop bandwagon,after doing mainly 'urban' music for a large chunk of their careers. Half the songs on the chart sound like them and vice versa.
  • MiresiaVertetaMiresiaVerteta Posts: 1,242
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think anything by any of the succesful X-Factor alumni especially JLS/Cheryl would not be hits on their own.....actually I think if "Everybody In Love" was sung by a unknown boyband, they'd have done a Mini Viva and got to #73.

Gaga's recent piles of poo are only top 20 because of her and her name. I also think the BEP's "I gotta feeling" would have not been famous by anyone else....I think it would have been some random AATW track and charted at #96.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,742
    Forum Member
    JamieHT wrote: »
    I actually think Someone Like You would have sold more if sung by someone else. It IS a good song, but Adele does not have a big enough voice for it. It's the styling and the song itself that got it so popular and not the singer in my opinion - although obviously it did her a lot of favours.

I actually disagree with this post. I think Adele has pulled it off amazingly and I can't imagine anyone else singing it.