Comments

• Options
    Charlie DrakeCharlie Drake Posts: 3,389
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Bunions wrote: »
    He's on AGAIN!!! :o

This is a wind-up, right?

He's trying to see if he can get on every single show, every single day for 6 months.....feels like that anyway :kitty:

Think I might give BBC Radio London another try...
    You are perfectly welcome, of course, to 'vote with your feet' but I sincerely hope the transition will not be too painful for you! :D
  • Options
    MartinRosenMartinRosen Posts: 33,063
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Nick had given the analogy of the the UK getting involved in Iraq was like us wading into a pub fight. Brian suggested that it was more like us going to another pub where a fight was already taking place and, even if we won the fight, there would be future repercussions with the protagonists returning to 'our' pub in order to wreak revenge.

I'll drink to that ;-)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Having heard Olly Mann for the first time the last couple of evenings; he sounds like a breath of fresh air ! I don't think a swop with Duncan would be on the cards as Duncan is probably too aggressive for late nights.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The BH schedule has now been published.

No, Morning News (extra 30 minutes of the Vallen). Andrew Pierce in for NF. JS continues for J O;B. Petrie at 1pm. Ian Payne for Mr Dale. Clive starts at 7pm, followed by Duncan Barkes as usual.
  • Options
    JeffersonJefferson Posts: 3,736
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Kiko H Fan wrote: »
    Why not talk about it in this thread?

Or take it to the LBC Politics thread.

Thanks for your recommendation. I may get round to it later.

What was that site you mentioned last week? I had a look at it but they appear to be not taking new members because they have had a spamming problem.
  • Options
    Kiko H FanKiko H Fan Posts: 6,546
    Forum Member
    Jefferson wrote: »
    Thanks for your recommendation. I may get round to it later.

What was that site you mentioned last week? I had a look at it but they appear to be not taking new members because they have had a spamming problem.

Metrogees. It formed from the ashes of the This Is London chat site.
  • Options
    JeffersonJefferson Posts: 3,736
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hey_Ho wrote: »
    Quite. Also I'm sure Gobber would agree with Wilde that, "The only thing worse than being talked about is not being talked about." Being ignored is what his type hates most.

Is Gobber still twittering away on Twitter?
  • Options
    gurney-sladegurney-slade Posts: 29,655
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The BH schedule has now been published.

No, Morning News (extra 30 minutes of the Vallen). Andrew Pierce in for NF. JS continues for J O;B. Petrie at 1pm. Ian Payne for Mr Dale. Clive starts at 7pm, followed by Duncan Barkes as usual.

It's all over the place for the weekend though. It's got Nick Abbot on at 10pm on Sunday and again at 1am on Monday, with an hour of Olly Mann in between! Presumably Duncan is back on Sunday with Olly back in his usual 1-4am slot. Shelagh Fogarty is still down to do 10am on Saturday so hopefully that could be wrong too!
  • Options
    Hey_HoHey_Ho Posts: 2,898
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Having heard Olly Mann for the first time the last couple of evenings; he sounds like a breath of fresh air ! I don't think a swop with Duncan would be on the cards as Duncan is probably too aggressive for late nights.

He is. He's professional, good-humoured and has a nice speaking voice. Apparently he's considered dull and wet behind the ears by some, but I like listening to a presenter who's not shouty, arrogant, irritable and rude to callers.
  • Options
    occyoccy Posts: 65,148
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It's all over the place for the weekend though. It's got Nick Abbot on at 10pm on Sunday and again at 1am on Monday, with an hour of Olly Mann in between! Presumably Duncan is back on Sunday with Olly back in his usual 1-4am slot. Shelagh Fogarty is still down to do 10am on Saturday so hopefully that could be wrong too!

Ken and David are off for a month I think. Another 2 weeks after this.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    occy wrote: »
    Ken and David are off for a month I think. Another 2 weeks after this.
    I can just imagine their conversation on the beach in Mykonos, sipping their pina coladas as the sun sinks slowly over the horizon:
    Ken: 'Now if Mrs. Thatcher hadn't smashed the unions and destroyed our manufacturing base…'
    Dave: 'Well, it's interesting that you should say that, Kenneth, but during my time as Home Office minister…'
    Etc. etc….
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Twenty minutes go by in a similar vein….
    Ken: 'Anyhow, let's take some calls, emails, texts and tweets from some of our listeners…'
    Dave: 'No, let's hear from the ex-ambassador of the Russian Embassy who's waiting on the line...'
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    Forum Member
    FrankBT wrote: »
    Of course JO'B is a WUM. Most of the LBC presenters.play the same game eg Nick F, Duncan B, Julia HB, Petrie H etc...they all do the same kind of thing, to bait the listeners. The real beef that you and a few others have is that he isn't a Tory supporter and publicly derides UKIP..:o

Wrong. On my part anyway.

I am not a political animal as such but if I had to say which way I was leaning I would say right/Blue.

However, I can't stand NF and I really like Ken Livingston. I also liked Kevin McGuire. I won't listen to Duncan Barkes.

I couldn't stand Jackie Smith when she covered but it was nothing to do with politics and everything to do with being a bloody awful presenter.

Personality has a lot to do with it and James is just too all over the place for my taste. I don't dislike him like I do NF but he is very hit and miss with his shows.

I think he has some excellent points and quite often I have found myself agreeing with him or changing my opinion on something, its just his delivery is what lets him down.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Dave: 'So, ex-ambassador, thank you for joining us. What is your opinion on the level of mobile 'phone roaming charges in the EU? When I was a minister and working in the Home Office…"
  • Options
    NosediveNosedive Posts: 6,602
    Forum Member
    Very disappointed to hear Lorraine Horgan on Iain Dale just now speaking to a 'regular commuter' at Euston Station just now re. Rail fare increases. He travels three times a week from Staffordshire and enjoys the service. Not very representative!

I don't do it it any more, but why couldn't they speak to someone like myself who travelled regularly day in day out for 14 years through thick and thin on the more local services to Watford or Sth West Herts area. Has seen a few changes over the years through differing governance policies, and was even a regular commuter back in the last few years of the British Rail regime?

It does irk me. Last time this happened they spoke to some kid in his twenties who been a regular commuter for all of three months.
  • Options
    RegTheHedgeRegTheHedge Posts: 2,794
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The real beef that you and a few others have is that he isn't a Tory supporter and publicly derides UKIP..:o

Politics just does nt come into it - tho with some of his more intractable fans I appreciate that seems the only logical explanation.(Whilst failing to appreciate his detractors hail from both sides of the spectrum.)

The man's talent is best left compering comedians in gastro pubs
  • Options
    The_MothThe_Moth Posts: 7,750
    Forum Member
    coulsdon59 wrote: »
    I'm enjoying John Stapleton both this week and when he stood in for JHB & Iain Dale. We have been spoilt to have him cover so much. Hes a quality broadcaster. My only criticism is he has one too many guests on - I don't mind the odd guest, but this seems to be at the expense of callers. Having said that, I do feel more informed by it!

Although it would be nice if he didn't hide his own opinions behind the cloak of "many people would think". As in "many people would think that Boris is a very intelligent man - he read classics" or "many people would think that the solution to problem families is to reduce welfare benefits".
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Twenty minutes go by in a similar vein….
    Ken: 'Anyhow, let's take some calls, emails, texts and tweets from some of our listeners…'
    Dave: 'No, let's hear from the ex-ambassador of the Russian Embassy who's waiting on the line...'

Perhaps Dave doesnt want polonium -210 in his next cuppa?
  • Options
    Mike RackabitMike Rackabit Posts: 4,917
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Politics just does nt come into it - tho with some of his more intractable fans I appreciate that seems the only logical explanation.(Whilst failing to appreciate his detractors hail from both sides of the spectrum.)

The man's talent is best left compering comedians in gastro pubs

Apart from Andy Murray I can't think of anyone with a worse sense of humour than Brian. It's unfathomable that he has any interest or involvement in comedy.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Iain Dale. You were very short with that 'Paul' chap who has worked in various prisons since 1989 first as a warden then as a nurse.

For someone of that experience to express such polemic 'real world' views and to corroborate his reasons behind them so clearly, surely deserves more of a hearing than you gave him no matter how much you may disagree. Less of the interrupting and talking over him please, we'd already heard your views.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Apart from Andy Murray I can't think of anyone with a worse sense of humour than Brian. It's unfathomable that he has any interest or involvement in comedy.

Discombobulating even.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Both seem a tad self consumed tho to be fair to Murray at least he gets the unwaivering attention of the audiences at Centre Court , Flushing Meadow et al - which is possibly more than can be said at Jimbo's pubs where presumably more modestly sized onlookers just get increasingly sloshed.
  • Options
    CayceCayce Posts: 9,845
    Forum Member
    Of course JO'B is a WUM. Most of the LBC presenters.play the same game eg Nick F, Duncan B, Julia HB, Petrie H etc...they all do the same kind of thing, to bait the listeners. The real beef that you and a few others have is that he isn't a Tory supporter and publicly derides UKIP..:o

Wrong! I'm not political animal either. It's all about J O'B's smug, pompous, derisive-to-callers attitude that sticks like a craw in my throat. However, he can be the entire opposite. On a good day when dealing with sensitive issues he can drop his bombastic attitude and that's when imo, he's one of the best presenters. A pity though those good days are few and far between.
  • Options
    clitheroe1clitheroe1 Posts: 4,155
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hey_Ho wrote: »
    He is. He's professional, good-humoured and has a nice speaking voice. Apparently he's considered dull and wet behind the ears by some, but I like listening to a presenter who's not shouty, arrogant, irritable and rude to callers.

I completely agree and I don't know where the "dull and wet behind the ears" criticisms comes from because I think it is totally without foundation. Mr Mann seems to have a good grasp of the issues that he discusses and leaves it to callers to provide further information and opinions, I don't consider that dull, I think that's doing a good job.
  • Options
    Syntax ErrorSyntax Error Posts: 27,803
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's weird to hear Nick Abbot without all his jingles & sound effects.
This discussion has been closed.