Options

F1 Coverage - The Verdict: 2014 Season

Comments

• Options
    stefmeisterstefmeister Posts: 8,396
    Forum Member
    Found this earlier, Its the full FP1 session from Sepang 2008 from me watching it live & using the interactive feeds that were available on on Premiere Sport:

https://vimeo.com/103908877
  • Options
    Regis MagnaeRegis Magnae Posts: 6,810
    Forum Member
    Frank Furt wrote: »

That method charging intrigues me. Could a car theoretically be charged while on the move if a rail similar to the pad described was embedded in the road?
  • Options
    dansusdansus Posts: 2,559
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    That method charging intrigues me. Could a car theoretically be charged while on the move if a rail similar to the pad described was embedded in the road?

Yup, other ways too like using the up and down movement of the suspension.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    Forum Member
    For those with sky.
    The BBC red button is back on Channel 980
    There is some red button recordable coverage on Sunday from 12:55pm and race analysis and discussion (assume this is the forum) from 3:30pm
  • Options
    callmedivacallmediva Posts: 1,862
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    FOM Fan wrote: »
    I don't see why they can't be a long-term F1 test driver from 14, then moving up to a race seat by 16/17.

can you imagine what would happen if there was a serious accident during testing and a 14 year old was killed?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Interesting Drivers press conference today with some good mixed questions from young drivers to Underpants. They all seemed very happy and relaxed too, the break has revitalised them then.

Also, for many F1 viewers on here including Myself, an interesting article from the BBC on recent research for watching sport at the same time on multiple devices.
    They call it 'Programme packing', never heard that before, here
  • Options
    FOMFanFOMFan Posts: 5,467
    Forum Member
    callmediva wrote: »
    can you imagine what would happen if there was a serious accident during testing and a 14 year old was killed?
    How is that no different to a 10yo being killed while karting? Speeds are still high enough
  • Options
    callmedivacallmediva Posts: 1,862
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    How is that no different to a 10yo being killed while karting? Speeds are still high enough

Well, of all people, you should know.

Media coverage. There's far more coverage of anything dramatic in f1 than any other form of motorsport
  • Options
    Forum Member
    callmediva wrote: »
    Well, of all people, you should know.

Media coverage. There's far more coverage of anything dramatic in f1 than any other form of motorsport
    Yes, but that's peripheral. It will have no *actual* effect. Besides, no parent would let their kid of that age race if they were comfortable enough with the risks. Parental consent would be required IMO.
  • Options
    solarflaresolarflare Posts: 22,382
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think there's an element of missing the point with Max V (surely I've just created a twitter handle for him or something?).

There isn't any real need to get drivers younger and younger because with the sport being safer and safer their careers were getting longer and longer anyway, assuming they started at the same age without starting even younger.

I'm sure he'll be prepared enough and good enough to be at least competent, and probably even better than just competent.

I would ask though - what's the rush? He could race well into his mid-30's, in F1, if he proves good enough and hungry enough. What difference does it make to get him in at 17 that can't wait till 19, 20, and a few more championships and F1 testing miles and more exposure to the race team under the belt?

Is it about what's good for the driver or what's good for proving the academy works?
  • Options
    codename_47codename_47 Posts: 9,683
    Forum Member
    solarflare wrote: »
    I think there's an element of missing the point with Max V (surely I've just created a twitter handle for him or something?).

VMax seems punchier ;)
  • Options
    D.M.N.D.M.N. Posts: 34,172
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Surprisingly, he already has Twitter: https://twitter.com/MaxVerstappen3
  • Options
    solarflaresolarflare Posts: 22,382
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    VMax seems punchier ;)

Indeed :D:D
  • Options
    _SpeedRacer__SpeedRacer_ Posts: 6,724
    Forum Member
    D.M.N. wrote: »
    Surprisingly, he already has Twitter: https://twitter.com/MaxVerstappen3

A 16 year old who knows how to use Twitter? Wow, I'm shocked. :o:D

I'm looking forward to Formula E - is there qualifying session coverage as well as the race?
  • Options
    gomezzgomezz Posts: 44,625
    Forum Member
    VMax seems punchier ;)
    Only if he gets a Honda powered car.
  • Options
    F1 MikeF1 Mike Posts: 5,841
    Forum Member
    I don't think people that age can be mature enough. They can show maturity above and beyond what their age would suggest, but inevitably there will be decisions and reactions to things that happen which aren't ideal.

obviously I can't explain any exact situation, it's merely an opinion.

As you get older you realise how daft you seemed when you were younger
  • Options
    Forum Member
    It really annoys me that BBC don't offer the additional content streams online during their live practice sessions...
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Crofty asking Ted to go and find out from Graham the Marussia driver changes, all change again this morning. Dear me, how messy!

And Ted reports that Max Chilton will be driving from Practice 2.
    Del boys bar tab, says Ted.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    It really annoys me that BBC don't offer the additional content streams online during their live practice sessions...

Perhaps they do not have the rights.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    lettice wrote: »
    Perhaps they do not have the rights.
    They have them for Qualifying/Race so I'd be surprised if they didn't have the rights for practice.

Probably more down to BBC running practice as a smaller production.
  • Options
    eladkseeladkse Posts: 1,948
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just when you thought they couldn't get any worse, the virtual advertising now changes during shots. :(

The ones at Rivage were switching back and forth from 'Pirrelli' to 'P-Zero'.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    eladkse wrote: »
    Just when you thought they couldn't get any worse, the virtual advertising now changes during shots. :(

The ones at Rivage were switching back and forth from 'Pirrelli' to 'P-Zero'.
    Not the 1st time they have done that, They were doing similar at Abu-Dhabi last year.
    http://img819.imageshack.us/img819/2488/97az.jpg
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 292
    Forum Member
    OK, how long before we see "Drone Cams" in F1?

I reckon it would be awesome! Can't find a link i'm afraid but there was quite an in-depth BBC News feature (I don't _think_ it was part of Click) on the technology. They can be set-up to "lock" on to a target moving object and then track it semi-autonomously.

Keeping up is the first obvious issue but they don't need to fly the circuit - an inner-loop would do...
  • Options
    D.M.N.D.M.N. Posts: 34,172
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    A 16 year old who knows how to use Twitter? Wow, I'm shocked. :o:D

I'm looking forward to Formula E - is there qualifying session coverage as well as the race?

The schedule don't forget is everything on Saturday's, so for Beijing on September 13th: http://www.fiaformulae.com/media/196409/beijing-eprix-event-timetable.pdf

08:15 to 09:00 - Practice 1 (01:15 UK)
    10:30 to 11:00 - Practice 2 (03:30 UK)
    12:00 to 13:05 - Qualifying (05:00 UK)
    16:00 to 17:00 - Race (09:00 UK)

What I think will happen is that ITV will broadcast qualifying highlights in the race build-up for Beijing/China and Putrajaya/Malaysia and look at the viewing figures before deciding for the remainder of the year in more favourable timezones.

For Uruguay on December 13th, however it'll be: http://www.fiaformulae.com/media/196413/punta-del-este-eprix-%E2%80%93-event-timetable.pdf

08:15 to 09:00 - Practice 1 (10:15 UK)
    10:30 to 11:00 - Practice 2 (12:30 UK)
    12:00 to 13:05 - Qualifying (14:00 UK)
    16:00 to 17:00 - Race (18:00 UK)

Viewing figures may dictate ITV's approach, but if viewing figures are good for rounds one and two, broadcasting Qualifying live for round three onwards (or on a tape-delay immediately before the race broadcast) might well happen.

The qualifying session does have a press conference straight after it, so one assumes a feed will be produced for broadcasters to pick up, if they so wish.
This discussion has been closed.