The Ratings Thread (Part 61)

Comments

• H of De VilH of De Vil Posts: 26,539
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I thought Doctor Who was excellent last night, certainly better than TXF. After last weeks stronger episode, last night as a disappointment (TXF).

DW deserved so much more than 4.8m. Based on last nights poor offering, I can see TXF being down again tonight.
  • Glenn AGlenn A Posts: 23,877
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think it would be better if ITV just scrapped Rising Star altogether. Viewers are bored of singing shows as TXF shows.

Why don't they spend the money on drama instead of disposable and none too cheap shows like this? I have a feeling this could be next year's Superstar, an expensive talent/reality flop.
  • yorkie100yorkie100 Posts: 9,372
    Forum Member
    Glenn A wrote: »
    Why don't they spend the money on drama instead of disposable and none too cheap shows like this? I have a feeling this could be next year's Superstar, an expensive talent/reality flop.

It seems they have already decided its no good or they would have gone ahead with the full series.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    yorkie100 wrote: »
    It seems they have already decided its no good or they would have gone ahead with the full series.

They'll probably burn it off over two weeks and throw it in the ITV dustbin to keep Superstar and Red Or Black company.
    It does seem ITV is faltering this year. They've had a very weak summer, even regular raters like Emmerdale have fallen below 5 million, and are overdependent on the same few tired shows. Although mercifully for them, TXF hasn't suffered another big drop yet, suppose by the Bootcamp stage ratings tumble and Cowell decides to pull it at the end of the series.
  • hyperstarspongehyperstarsponge Posts: 16,696
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    When there is nothing to watch on TV, People will stop checking. The best thing on yesterday was the Proms and that niche content on BBC Four.
  • Jaycee DoveJaycee Dove Posts: 18,762
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I thought Doctor Who was excellent last night, certainly better than TXF. After last weeks stronger episode, last night as a disappointment (TXF).

DW deserved so much more than 4.8m. Based on last nights poor offering, I can see TXF being down again tonight.

The problem I think DW has is that it is now much more the niche show it was towards the end of its first incarnation in the 1980s. It is now being written for fans of the show not the general Saturday night audience on BBC 1.

When it returned it was written as more viewer friendly to capture that broader audience and it worked. These days - though - the episodes are rarely big spectaculars and more dependent on intricate thinking and also often presume some interest in or knowledge of the show across 50 years.

That is fine if you are playing to the captive audience of 4 - 5 million, which I think is the core fan centric level.

It is not if you expect 7 - 8 million plus. To get that it would probably have to be a special episode with a trailer that captivates non fans.

It is getting a good catch up audience - but I wonder how much of that is the general viewer catching up and how much the fan audience watching and re-watching to find the references to episodes years ago or the subtle clues they missed - or, in some cases, just to understand the plot.

I suspect the figures are artificially boosted by these repeat watch on i player.

I have been watching DW since I saw the first episode live in 1963, so I will keep watching. Last night was a clever, character led story but it was also very hard to follow and I suspect came over to quite a lot of casual viewers as an old man talking to himself and gibbering a lot looking for a monster he never found and if there was an actual story we sort of missed it.

That, of course, WAS what this episode was about but also really to miss its entire point. However, to get that point I think you had to think fairly hard about what you were seeing and to have some awareness of DW mythology or the past of the show.

That is assuming a lot for casual viewers on a Saturday night.

My guess is fans will rave for years about this episode and non fans will say - um, but nothing happened - it was a non story!

The show is at a difficult crossroads trying to please two very different audiences. A few years ago it did that more easily than today.

Really it is a debate as to which kind of show the BBC needs and the audience wants. I doubt it getting 4 - 5 million live v X Factor will bother the BBC too much. However, what will matter is if audiences around the world tune out live to the same degree as here because in many of those places ratings on the night will matter more.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I hope Sunday Night At The Palladium does well tonight and encourage ITV to move away from singing shows and put variety back into the schedule.

Rising Star is going to turn in a fat flop. The money as Glenn said should have been spent on a new 6-8 part drama.

Does anyone know when Vicious will be filmed?
  • Philip WilsonPhilip Wilson Posts: 1,305
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    They'll probably burn it off over two weeks and throw it in the ITV dustbin to keep Superstar and Red Or Black company.
    It does seem ITV is faltering this year. They've had a very weak summer, even regular raters like Emmerdale have fallen below 5 million, and are overdependent on the same few tired shows. Although mercifully for them, TXF hasn't suffered another big drop yet, suppose by the Bootcamp stage ratings tumble and Cowell decides to pull it at the end of the series.

Unlikely to happen given ITV signed a 3 year deal for the Xfactor last year.
  • tobitobi Posts: 2,915
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes, viewers are bored. Oh wait, wasn't it the most watched show of the entire week!? :p

Totally agree. X factor ratings are declining. The Voice is struggling and the Winner takes it all was a flop. A new singing show is a tired idea before it starts
  • hyperstarspongehyperstarsponge Posts: 16,696
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I hope Sunday Night At The Palladium does well tonight and encourage ITV to move away from singing shows and put variety back into the schedule.

Rising Star is going to turn in a fat flop. The money as Glenn said should have been spent on a new 6-8 part drama.

Does viewers expect it to be on? ITVs reach has tumbled lately :D
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 571
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm really surprised by XF's dismal ratings of just over 8 million for that time slot. I suppose with Strictly back the downward spiral for XF will continue.

I can't help but comment on the crap Syco churn out in general. TV/music for thick gullible chavs and the uneducated.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The problem I think DW has is that it is now much more the niche show it was towards the end of its first incarnation in the 1980s. It is now being written for fans of the show not the general Saturday night audience on BBC 1.

When it returned it was written as more viewer friendly to capture that broader audience and it worked. These days - though - the episodes are rarely big spectaculars and more dependent on intricate thinking and also often presume some interest in or knowledge of the show across 50 years.

That is fine if you are playing to the captive audience of 4 - 5 million, which I think is the core fan centric level.

It is not if you expect 7 - 8 million plus. To get that it would probably have to be a special episode with a trailer that captivates non fans.

It is getting a good catch up audience - but I wonder how much of that is the general viewer catching up and how much the fan audience watching and re-watching to find the references to episodes years ago or the subtle clues they missed - or, in some cases, just to understand the plot.

I suspect the figures are artificially boosted by these repeat watch on i player.

I have been watching DW since I saw the first episode live in 1963, so I will keep watching. Last night was a clever, character led story but it was also very hard to follow and I suspect came over to quite a lot of casual viewers as an old man talking to himself and gibbering a lot looking for a monster he never found and if there was an actual story we sort of missed it.

That, of course, WAS what this episode was about but also really to miss its entire point. However, to get that point I think you had to think fairly hard about what you were seeing and to have some awareness of DW mythology or the past of the show.

That is assuming a lot for casual viewers on a Saturday night.

My guess is fans will rave for years about this episode and non fans will say - um, but nothing happened - it was a non story!

The show is at a difficult crossroads trying to please two very different audiences. A few years ago it did that more easily than today.

Really it is a debate as to which kind of show the BBC needs and the audience wants. I doubt it getting 4 - 5 million live v X Factor will bother the BBC too much. However, what will matter is if audiences around the world tune out live to the same degree as here because in many of those places ratings on the night will matter more.

Yeah I agree. I found the RTD era much more enjoyable as it was easier to watch and just enjoy an episode. More recently you have to concentrate hard to watch and understand the intricate plot.

I find Steven Moffat writes to please die hard fans, but doesn't think of the casual audience. This is what ultimately could kill DW in the end.

During RTD era you had a mixture of fun stories, dark stories (Moffat mainly), exciting stories and episodes that referred back to the history of DW. I just don't think SM is cut out to be solely in charge as head runner. I would love a collaboration of RTD and Moffat as show head runner, that would ensure a perfect mixture of stories.

One of my favourite stories was Midnight. It was creepy, dark, gripping but just an easy to understand episode of DW.
  • cylon6cylon6 Posts: 25,486
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think it would be better if ITV just scrapped Rising Star altogether. Viewers are bored of singing shows as TXF shows.

The X Factor topped the night and had 10m viewers for last Saturday's show with +1. It's not dead yet.
  • Zac QuinnZac Quinn Posts: 5,172
    Forum Member
    I think it was getting 4m+ in its first series. I think it worked better with Dale Winton. There's still one unshown edition from the second series.
    Why not show that next week instead of randomly throwing in an episode of Pointless? :p
    Unlikely to happen given ITV signed a 3 year deal for the Xfactor last year.
    Worth 50m more than the previous deal which got them almost exactly the same viewing figures, if not slightly better ones. If anyone pulls the plug after this season (unlikely no matter how bad things get) it'll be ITV not Cowell.
  • jlp95bwfcjlp95bwfc Posts: 18,412
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Attia_Ash wrote: »
    I'm really surprised by XF's dismal ratings of just over 8 million for that time slot. I suppose with Strictly back the downward spiral for XF will continue.

I can't help but comment on the crap Syco churn out in general. TV/music for thick gullible chavs and the uneducated.

Ridiculous post.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I hope the Palladium does well as ITV were always huge and very good at this genre in the sixties. There are some flashes of inspiration at ITV, but not enough and Rising Star is yet another singing contest with a panel.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I just have a fear they will stuff Sunday Night Ariel The Palladium with Syco acts. And Stephen Mulhern shouldn't host the first show, it should be Bradley Walsh. Are they going for BGT lite?
  • scotchscotch Posts: 10,616
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    cylon6 wrote: »
    I just have a fear they will stuff Sunday Night Ariel The Palladium with Syco acts.

I think this is just what will happen!
  • Joe40Joe40 Posts: 1,532
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Palladium started at 7.03pm
  • Zac QuinnZac Quinn Posts: 5,172
    Forum Member
    scotch wrote: »

Yep - the 'highlight' of tonight's first episode is the appearance of world-renowned musical icons Little Mix.

I also see Peter Kay has pulled out of hosting his episode - because for some reason neither ABBA or The Rolling Stones wanted to play to 3m mothers before X Factor on a Sunday night ;-):D
  • Andy23Andy23 Posts: 15,926
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

There is a place for all genres on TV.

Why are you so obsessed that all TV should be repeatable, you say this time and time again as if 'disposable' programmes are supposedly a lesser programme?

I think this is just because you hate reality TV. I don't see Noel's House Party, Blind Date, That's Life or Hearts of Gold being repeated 20 years later either, so should they not have been made?
  • Andy23Andy23 Posts: 15,926
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I expect Palladium won't do much business, most will just stick on Countryfile like they do 50 weeks of the year.

Despite many apparently wanting old school variety shows back, I bet it won't translate to decent ratings, like when people say they want more comedy on TV but then fail to bother with most of them.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    scotch wrote: »

Ella Henderson is on next week. Well what a surprise! ;)
  • Philip WilsonPhilip Wilson Posts: 1,305
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Andy23 wrote: »
    I expect Palladium won't do much business, most will just stick on Countryfile like they do 50 weeks of the year.

Despite many apparently wanting old school variety shows back, I bet it won't translate to decent ratings, like when people say they want more comedy on TV but then fail to bother with most of them.

It's trending on twitter so... :D

I think its a decent show, and certainly for the first couple of weeks I expect it to do OK until Strictly comes back.
  • Roscoe BarnesRoscoe Barnes Posts: 6,360
    Forum Member
    Andy23 wrote: »

I think it could do OK. Maybe around 4m. Average might be brought up when XF audience starts tuning in.
This discussion has been closed.