Options

The Ratings Thread (Part 61)

Comments

• Options
    Rob1985Rob1985 Posts: 5,194
    Forum Member
    That's a shame about Dallas, but we know most people watch at a later day anyway, so not sure it will make a big difference.
  • Options
    cylon6cylon6 Posts: 25,486
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Doctor Who keeps its 8.30pm start on Saturday 4th October.

Strictly at 6.30, Casualty at 9.15.

Sunday's Strictly results at 7.20pm, between Countryfile and Antiques Roadshow.

No ITV schedules yet.

Doctor Who will stay at 8.30pm as it will follow Strictly until its series is over and Atlantis replaces it in the post Strictly slot.
  • Options
    Roscoe BarnesRoscoe Barnes Posts: 6,360
    Forum Member
    cylon6 wrote: »
    Doctor Who will stay at 8.30pm as it will follow Strictly until its series is over and Atlantis replaces it in the post Strictly slot.

8.30PM seems very late for Doctor Who.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Well it worked for Merlin. Let's see if Doctor Who can get a boost following Strictly.
  • Options
    SamuelWSamuelW Posts: 8,447
    Forum Member
    The BBC are not going to compromise the starting time of their biggest hit Strictly Come Dancing, just to air DW earlier. The BBC will continue to air SCD until 8.30pm which will help SCD maintain its ratings wins over XF and dent XF's figures.
  • Options
    hyperstarspongehyperstarsponge Posts: 16,702
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Rob1985 wrote: »
    That's a shame about Dallas, but we know most people watch at a later day anyway, so not sure it will make a big difference.

Is this a Viacom decision or just a Channel 5 decision without there new owners involvement?
  • Options
    yorkie100yorkie100 Posts: 9,372
    Forum Member
    Joe40 wrote: »
    Daily Mirror, Nicola Methven

Comedian Peter Kay is to play Danny Baker’s wide-boy dad in a sitcom dubbed the new Only Fools And Horses.

Cradle to Grave is based on broadcaster Baker’s memories of growing up in a council flat in Bermondsey, South London, in the 1970s.

A source described Kay’s character, wheeler-dealer Fred, as “a real-life Del Boy”.

The eight-part BBC2 comedy is based on Baker’s autobiography Going to Sea in a Sieve, which tells how dock worker and union leader Fred was on a crusade to beat the system.

Baker wrote: “When Only Fools And Horses arrived on TV, most people I knew thought it was a documentary.”

The comedy has been written by Baker and Jeff Pope, who wrote Cilla, Mrs Biggs and Philomena.

Kay, 41, is making a TV comeback and is set to appear in BBC1 comedy Car Share. He will also bring back his hit Phoenix Nights next year for Comic Relief.

http://www.mirror.co.uk/tv/tv-news/peter-kay-make-tv-comeback-4284392#ixzz3DmImC38l
    Follow us: @DailyMirror on Twitter | DailyMirror on Facebook

Now this is something that might have a bit of chance. Good writers and being on BBC2 expectations wont be so high. Might do a Miranda - if its any good of course.
  • Options
    XIVXIV Posts: 21,576
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Is this a Viacom decision or just a Channel 5 decision without there new owners involvement?

Very likely Channel 5 after seeing last night's ratings.
  • Options
    BushmillsBushmills Posts: 2,276
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Good figures for GMB moving the right way,did expect it to have broken 600,000.

Just needs the consistancy rather than one off figures.

It's not moving the right way. It got 554,000 and a 14.1 per cent share yesterday. That's pathetic.
  • Options
    H of De VilH of De Vil Posts: 26,539
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I wonder how low the BBc comedies will be tonight? And whether Piers Morgan will be above 1.5m?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Bushmills wrote: »
    It's not moving the right way. It got 554,000 and a 14.1 per cent share yesterday. That's pathetic.

How did that compare to Breakfast? Any Scottish referendum boost?

GMB has to get 600k regularly and that's in overnights rather than consolidated ratings. Until it does better than what it has replaced it isn't a success in my view. It has only managed that in launch week.

How has Loose Women been doing this week opposite Bargain Hunt Bushmills?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I wonder how low the BBc comedies will be tonight? And whether Piers Morgan will be above 1.5m?

The only thing certain is that Strictly and X Factor will do much better there next week.
  • Options
    Forum Member

Judging by last night they will be horrendus. Much more interesting will be the soaps after CS and ED last ratings and to see if EE can maybe hold on a bit better this Friday.
  • Options
    NeilVWNeilVW Posts: 8,635
    Forum Member
    fugitive wrote: »
    does anyone know why itn's scottish referedum results programme wasnt shown ON ITV and instead we had a dire STV programme?
    Dancc wrote: »
    There was no ITN programme in the end, was there?

No, even though it was billed in the Radio Times as being hosted by Alastair Stewart. Must have been a fairly late decision.
    what you also need to realise is all soaps are rating lower, (infact apart from bake off, everything is rating lower) so if corrie is the top rated soap at over 6million viewers, it only makes sense emmerdale is going to rate lower. however emmerdale always wins its slot and is the most watched show at 7pm.

Don't - you'll start cylon6 off on The One Show :D
    Fudd wrote: »
    Even 8pm would be fine; there's no reason why they can't pull the schedule back 30 minutes except it would mean Strictly would avoid The X Factor... perish the thought of that happening! Then again, I can't really blame them after ITV's antics with Emmerdale and The X Factor.

I assume we're talking about next week, the night of the Strictly launch proper? (As the week after, Strictly is two hours long and would therefore start at 18:00 in that scenario which is too early.)

On the 27th, X Factor could just as easily start at 20:30 as it's only 80 minutes. Slightly late finish but better than a half-hour clash.
    Jonwo wrote: »
    Is This Morning's ratings split due to the news update?

Yes, there used to be a neat 10:30, 11:25, 11:30 set of junctions but they've seen fit to change it.
  • Options
    Andy23Andy23 Posts: 15,926
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Big School was actually quite funny tonight. I've definitely seen worse. I'm sure it is rating no better than The Wright Way, and that was atrocious.

Of course it now returns in 2 weeks, so people might assume it has already finished.
  • Options
    FuddFudd Posts: 167,002
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    NeilVW wrote: »
    I assume we're talking about next week, the night of the Strictly launch proper? (As the week after, Strictly is two hours long and would therefore start at 18:00 in that scenario which is too early.)

On the 27th, X Factor could just as easily start at 20:30 as it's only 80 minutes. Slightly late finish but better than a half-hour clash.

It's started at 18.00 on more than one occasion before - the two shows generally avoided each other on a Saturday to start with when The X Factor's results show moved to Sunday night.

I know some fairly say there's no reason why they can't clash. I just see it as pointlessly splitting the audience (as is EastEnders v Emmerdale) when there is enough time to fit both in. I don't know what planet David Bergg is on at the moment but I think it's safe to say it isn't Earth.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Andy23 wrote: »
    Big School was actually quite funny tonight. I've definitely seen worse. I'm sure it is rating no better than The Wright Way, and that was atrocious.

Of course it now returns in 2 weeks, so people might assume it has already finished.

Will the BBC even put it back in the schedule, or just push back to 10;35pm?
  • Options
    JetsonJetson Posts: 13,318
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The thing with 'Who' is ... it may have started out as a kids programme (when revived) but a lot of those kids have now grown up - so a later time slot is better for it.

Parents who don't let kids old enough to understand it stay up to 9.15pm on Saturday are a bit weird IMO :D And they can let the kids catchup on Sunday using PVR.

Good move for the show and I'm sure it will be reflected in a better overnight rating especially with a Strictly lead in.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Andy23 wrote: »

I think both Boomers (terrible title BTW) and Big School do not deserve the bile that has been heaped on them. Boomers has some funny lines but is like a modern Summer Wine where the comedy is gentle but it has not truly worked but was well worth a try with the talent assembled. Big School on the other hand is really finding its feet now unfortunately its too late as the audience has moved on.
  • Options
    NeilVWNeilVW Posts: 8,635
    Forum Member
    Fudd wrote: »
    It's started at 18.00 on more than one occasion before - the two shows generally avoided each other on a Saturday to start with when The X Factor's results show moved to Sunday night.

Yes it has; I recall Brucie warning us the previous week, "Remember to do your shopping early!". It was just too early for a flagship Saturday entertainment show. 18:30 is more or less ideal for the longer editions.
    I know some fairly say there's no reason why they can't clash. I just see it as pointlessly splitting the audience (as is EastEnders v Emmerdale) when there is enough time to fit both in. I don't know what planet David Bergg is on at the moment but I think it's safe to say it isn't Earth.

I don't think it is pointless for both sides though - overlap clashes tend to work for the show starting first (Strictly, Emmerdale, EastEnders very occasionally) and I don't see why the BBC should put Strictly any earlier than about 18:30 for the reasons I stated earlier. In the case of the 27th, I think ITV would have been better served overall by putting X Factor at 20:30, as I mentioned, because it is a relatively short show that night. A 30-minute clash out of 80 minutes is crazy and won't work out well for them (coming hot on the heels of the Friday clash as well).

I should have said, "the second night of the two-part Strictly launch proper".
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't trust Live+7 but here you go.

Doctor Who - Deep Breath has a final Live+7 UK TV audience of 10.76 million viewers.

The Live+7 figure includes not only those who watch the BBC One broadcast and those who time-shift it, but also those who watch the repeats on other UK channels and those who watch the programme on i-Player. The total figure is an estimate of the total number of unique viewers, who have watched the episode on television, within one week on broadcast.

The Deep Breath figure was made up of
    6.807 million - Watched Live or by delayed recording on the same day
    0.456 million - watched a repeat
    2.525 million - watched on Time-shift
    0.971 million - watched on iPlayer
    66% of the audience watched it Live or on the same day compared with a BBC average of 87%. 22% watched on time-shift where the average is 6%, and 9% watched on iPlayer compared to an average for all BBC programmes of 3%.

The figure does not include those who watched only at a cinema.
    Robot of Sherwood has now been confirmed as finishing 10th in the weekly chart. Is the sixth episode in a row to reach the UK top Ten
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I agree Big School was funny tonight. Better than last weeks. I think Big School has more potential
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 571
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Re the whole Strictly V The XF

Whilst I appreciate consolidated ratings. What interests me MORE is what people are watching on that hour in that hour.

Anybody else agree???
    i.e the people that are tuning onto the telly at that particular time slot!!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 571
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It goes without saying, if the BBC had a plus. I suppose Strictly would trash XF without a doubt. ITV hold an advantage with their plus one...
  • Options
    FuddFudd Posts: 167,002
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Big School was brilliant tonight. I don't know why it didn't start in the same week as Boomers, though? It's rating poor enough as it is without a random week off. Will it be getting a Have I Got News For You lead in on 3rd October?
    I don't think it is pointless for both sides though - overlap clashes tend to work for the show starting first (Strictly, Emmerdale, EastEnders very occasionally) and I don't see why the BBC should put Strictly any earlier than about 18:30 for the reasons I stated earlier. In the case of the 27th, I think ITV would have been better served overall by putting X Factor at 20:30, as I mentioned, because it is a relatively short show that night. A 30-minute clash out of 80 minutes is crazy and won't work out well for them (coming hot on the heels of the Friday clash as well).

True, it can work for the earlier show.

I would argue that both channels should grow up and stop clashing shows from the same genre. It's not as though either have a plethora of fantastic programming so they have to create clashes to fit everything in. Strictly was hardly starting with 2m viewers in the 6pm hour and the viewers could watch both shows from start to finish (albeit The X Factor finished on the late side).

I shouldn't get started on ITV's rank stupidity (and I say again, so I'm not accused of bias, the Emmerdale v EastEnders and next Friday's clash are ridiculous and unnecessary).

ITV seem to be placing The X Factor in the line of fire over and over - I don't understand why. Saying that, if they had moved it to 20.30 it would make the Sunday night (Corrie/X Factor) and next Friday's scheduling look even odder, though.
    Attia_Ash wrote: »
    It goes without saying, if the BBC had a plus. I suppose Strictly would trash XF without a doubt. ITV hold an advantage with their plus one...

BBC One hold an advantage via lack of ad breaks.

Though, with the mention of +1, I think if I was David Bergg I would start The X Factor one hour before Strictly is scheduled to finish (so it starts and finishes at a reasonable time) but plug the +1 showing for all it's worth, timing an ad break for the end of Strictly so viewers can be told to switch over to +1 if they want to watch the show from the start. It'd be risky but to my addled brain makes more sense than starting at a random point during Strictly and playing catch up.
This discussion has been closed.