Options

Alcoholics and Drug Addicts

2»

Comments

• Options
    tellywatcher73tellywatcher73 Posts: 4,181
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    where`s this scheme? i know many sick people who could benefit from it as it`s 7 quid to get to the ddu, i`m surprised they havn`t been informed by the agencies they work with.

In Scotland, the scheme is run by Transport Scotland and the concessionary pass can include a companion. I don't know how it works in other areas though.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 68,508
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Addicts can be hard to like even when you love them. The money is a huge thing: any addiction is likely to end up costing the earth. I reckon a high percentage of addicts end up stealing from family members, and there is nothing like having to tell every visitor to make sure they don't leave any money where someone can get it. And addicts end up being very self-absorbed even if they are otherwise lovely people.

Even when someone can fund their habit, I don't think anyone's personality has ever been enhanced by a major substance abuse problem. I did wonder whether the reason Stephen Fry's last autobiography was so poor was that his huge cocaine intake meant that, though hugely sociable, he didn't really care that much about other people. There is something coldly list-making about the way he records whom he has met and partied with.
  • Options
    annette kurtenannette kurten Posts: 39,543
    Forum Member
    In Scotland, the scheme is run by Transport Scotland and the concessionary pass can include a companion. I don't know how it works in other areas though.

ah, shame, i`m in england.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ah, shame, i`m in england.

Quick google there and it's available in England too. As with Scotland, the person has to be considered disabled so it's not available to everyone with addiction.
  • Options
    The Gary SheenThe Gary Sheen Posts: 227
    Forum Member
    Great information.
  • Options
    day dreamerday dreamer Posts: 978
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I know two people (a couple) who use drugs - cannabis mostly but possibly they dabble in stronger substances - supposedly for medical reasons and all it's done is made them so paranoid and lazy they can barely function.

I'm really glad I never had any interest in the stuff.
  • Options
    annette kurtenannette kurten Posts: 39,543
    Forum Member
    Quick google there and it's available in England too. As with Scotland, the person has to be considered disabled so it's not available to everyone with addiction.

ah so same as here, apart from the permitted travelling companion, i`ll investigate that, thank you.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Weed isnt as safe as they say.
  • Options
    pie-eyedpie-eyed Posts: 8,456
    Forum Member
    My ex was an alcoholic. Addictions ruin lives and not just that of the addict.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Weed isnt as safe as they say.

I think it's seen as a fairly "innocent" drug but can cause a lot of damage both financially and mentally. I know people who's relationship broke down due to the effect on one partner's mental health with prolonged use.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 11,133
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm an alcoholic . Went sober for 4 and a half years , then I moved 100 miles away and found myself lonely and depressed , and hit the bottle again .

The feeling of alcohol withdrawal is almost indescribable, and I wouldn't wish it on my worst enemy .

Addiction changes the way you think and tears your life apart from the ground up
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 619
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I've known at least 3 friends of friends that died with alchol playing a major factor in their deaths, and probably another couple that have had serious issues with alcohol.
  • Options
    gulliverfoylegulliverfoyle Posts: 6,318
    Forum Member
    my dad was a alky

my advise, leave them to it, your wasting your time,YOU cant fix them, only they can

they will either sort themselves out or they wont

oh and remember despite theyre self pity, its nothing to do with you its them
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Some great informative posts here.
  • Options
    ElyanElyan Posts: 8,781
    Forum Member
    There's a fine line between liking a drink and becoming an alcoholic - or even down and out.

Some huge event or other in your life might turn you to drinking more, then you may lose your job, your family, your home and so on. It can happen quickly too. Inside a year a person could go from living a happy life to sleeping in shop doorways.
  • Options
    getzlsgetzls Posts: 4,007
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I agree
  • Options
    hazydayzhazydayz Posts: 6,909
    Forum Member
    The OP is a newly registered former member of the forum. Just another troll thread at the expense of people who genuinely need help.
  • Options
    Mountain_RunnerMountain_Runner Posts: 1,927
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Alcoholism is difficult to define when to call a person an alcoholic.

The simplest definition is a person who relies on alcohol on a daily basis.

But then there is psychological addiction where alcohol needs to be consumed each day for the sake of it and Physical addiction where withdrawal form alcohol results in physical symptoms such as pain and the shakes.

So do you regard someone who goes to the pub every evening of the week for a pint an alcoholic? Are they psychologically addicted?

Even if its only one pint they will still go pub religiously but some people may visit the pub on odd occasions and have 7 or 8 pints but not be regarded as an alcoholic.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Alcoholism is difficult to define when to call a person an alcoholic.

The simplest definition is a person who relies on alcohol on a daily basis.

But then there is psychological addiction where alcohol needs to be consumed each day for the sake of it and Physical addiction where withdrawal form alcohol results in physical symptoms such as pain and the shakes.

So do you regard someone who goes to the pub every evening of the week for a pint an alcoholic? Are they psychologically addicted?

Even if its only one pint they will still go pub religiously but some people may visit the pub on odd occasions and have 7 or 8 pints but not be regarded as an alcoholic.

Emmerdale characters are all alkis then!
  • Options
    Mr Donald LoveMr Donald Love Posts: 63
    Forum Member
    I never understood how people could abuse drugs and alcohol together and not have major future health problems.