Options

STV HD false advertising?

Space CadetSpace Cadet Posts: 363
Forum Member
All over Fife they have posters flogging STV HD plugging the world cup, with no tiny little asterix to explain it's only available on Freeview - and not SKY...are they misleading?

Comments

• Options
    chenkschenks Posts: 13,231
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    not misleading at all in my opinion, as it is available.
    it would be misleading if it said available on all platforms, but it isn't saying that.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,001
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's available in the clear on satellite, if you manually tune it in.
  • Options
    ProDaveProDave Posts: 11,398
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    One has to wonder why the test is running, but it is not YET on either the sky or freesat EPG? Surely it should have "launched" by now?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    well it still hasn't got DD audio, so it still needs worked on that's for sure.
  • Options
    AxeVictimAxeVictim Posts: 3,029
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Bunch of tossers hope they go bust.
  • Options
    blueplatinumblueplatinum Posts: 1,620
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It is quite unusual for football to be recorded and watched later... most people watch footie live. STV HD is available by manual tune in on SKY HD so just tune it in, enjoy the matches and stop winging.
  • Options
    AxeVictimAxeVictim Posts: 3,029
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Its not the match im bothered about i can watch that live but stv's not on the epg and you cant record sod all.
  • Options
    derek500derek500 Posts: 24,892
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    chenks wrote: »
    well it still hasn't got DD audio, so it still needs worked on that's for sure.

I officially receive ITV1 HD Central on the EPG which is from the same transponder and it hasn't got DD sound yet, neither has ITV1 HD Granada.

As for the reason, I spotted this on joinfreesat,
    My contacts suggest that STV and SKY may have had an arguement over encryption resulting in SKY stopping STV from going on their EPG

http://www.joinfreesat.co.uk/index.php/stv-launches-hd-service#comments
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    derek500 wrote: »
    I officially receive ITV1 HD Central on the EPG which is from the same transponder and it hasn't got DD sound yet, neither has ITV1 HD Granada.

the ITVHD i manually tuned in does have DD (albeit DD2.0).
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

ITV1 HD London on 10832 has DD, as does the original 'red button' stream on Eurobird.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    derek500 wrote: »
    ITV1 HD London on 10832 has DD, as does the original 'red button' stream on Eurobird.

so there is no reason why all HD regions shouldn't have DD.
  • Options
    simon194simon194 Posts: 1,888
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

The ITV1 HD on 178 has DD sound but as you say it's DD2.0.

It's still DD though and why do people think Dolby Digital means it has to be 5.1 when it can easily be mono and still be called Dolby Digital.
  • Options
    ozsatozsat Posts: 5,745
    Forum Member
    Well - ITV1HD have also been advertising the World Cup in HD - and nobody could watch it last night.
    All over Fife they have posters flogging STV HD plugging the world cup, with no tiny little asterix to explain it's only available on Freeview - and not SKY...are they misleading?
  • Options
    MasteriserMasteriser Posts: 2,106
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ITV do not broadcast 5.1. They are a bunch of cheap skate monkeys (witness the screw up with the advert ovet the England goal last night). If there is a cheap crappy not very reliable way of doing something, or a more expensive but more relaible way, guess which one the beancounters at ITV will pick.

They are a rubbish channel, almost exclusively making programming for downmarket morons or children (without actually making any new child specific programming).

Why is everyone surprised when they bugger it up? They have done this countless of time over the past two years or so with Champions League (having trouble and dropping to SD) and FA Cup (cutting away from a live game in error showing an advert and missing a crucial goal). Lots of the tabloid press moan about the BBC and how many people they send to events like the World Cup, but when you cut too many corners and do everything on the cheap, stuff goes wrong and there are not enough people to salvage the situation.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    simon194 wrote: »

It's still DD though and why do people think Dolby Digital means it has to be 5.1 when it can easily be mono and still be called Dolby Digital.

Because on the EPG's of HD platforms they only use DD as an indicator of DD5.1, even though everything is in DD.

Confusing for the layman?
  • Options
    ozsatozsat Posts: 5,745
    Forum Member
    simon194 wrote: »
    Sky's EPG guide says:
    "DD - You can hear this programme in Dolby Digital 5.1 audio if your tv/sound system is compatible"
  • Options
    terryklterrykl Posts: 1,546
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Masteriser wrote: »

They are a rubbish channel, almost exclusively making programming for downmarket morons or children (without actually making any new child specific programming).

I occasionally watch very good drama shown on itv,THAT MAKES ME AND MILLIONS OF OTHERS "DOWNMARKET MORONS" DOES IT?
    ITV unfortunately do have a track record for catastrophic errors,but that doesn't give you the right to make the type of statement you made in your post.It contributes nothing useful to the thread.By the way how do we categorise you?As an UPMARKET MORON perhaps?:mad::mad:
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 67
    Forum Member
    Further to the previous post

From http://www.joinfreesat.co.uk/index.php/stv-launches-hd-service#comments , posted this morning

"My contact now suggests that STV will not be on Sky’s EPG as STV has refused an encryption deal, and a deal with Freesat has been done and STV could be on their EPG as early as next week. I have Freesat so I am hoping his information is right."
  • Options
    MasteriserMasteriser Posts: 2,106
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    terrykl wrote: »
    I occasionally watch very good drama shown on itv,THAT MAKES ME AND MILLIONS OF OTHERS "DOWNMARKET MORONS" DOES IT?
    ITV unfortunately do have a track record for catastrophic errors,but that doesn't give you the right to make the type of statement you made in your post.It contributes nothing useful to the thread.By the way how do we categorise you?As an UPMARKET MORON perhaps?:mad::mad:

I think the key word in your reply is occasionally. If they try, they can make excellent programming. They just don't try very often IMHO. I too have seen some excellent drama on ITV, sadly though these appointment dramas seem to be getting thinner and thinner on the ground. ITV seem to be content serving up celebrity tosh ala Dancing On Ice, cheap talent shows and daytime garbage like Jeremy Kyle & Loose Women. The channel is a shadow of its' former self.

By being sniffy about this lowest common denominator programming does this make me an upmarket moron? Possibly, personally I prefer the term choosy, but it is not for me to be the judge of that.

You are right though, these posts are going way O/T and I will refrain from posting further in this thread unless I have any news on STV HD (seeing as I live in S.E. London this is unlikely).
  • Options
    andrewstevensonandrewstevenson Posts: 757
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Well what i know is STV HD is avaiable on freeview HD and also Virgin Media channel 113. I have noticed the improved technology, better picture, better sound. You can see it in cori and also the world cup.