Retail Workers - What do customers do that annoys you? (Part 3)

Comments

• roland ratroland rat Posts: 13,829
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Lovely day today, until spoiled by customer

It came down to the customer paying by card, but the card had no chip & pin, so she would have to sign for it, unfortunately, the card wasnt signed, asked if she had anything with signature...art this point she lost it

Why are you holding onto my card...explain card not signed and not valid, need managers approval, she wwas really getting upset about this, she thought I was going to keep the card, which would be in my right to do so, and I would pass it onto that bank

Manager arrive, and customer decied to pay by cash ????, and took her card back, and left the shop

When customers get new cards, including chip and pin, and signature, PLEASE SIGN YOU CARD, TO AVOID EMBARRASSMENT, by not signing your card can leave you self open to fraud, when this was explained to customer, she wasnt having any of it, and left shop with the card

Now Im sure if someone had got hold of the customers card, and used it to buy a tv, she would be up in arms
  • tortfeasortortfeasor Posts: 7,000
    Forum Member
    Hate it when customers go around the shop eating things while they are shopping...

What checkout operater wants to pick up a mars bar wrapper and scan it after someones slobbering chops have been all over it. :mad:

Thats if they even go to pay for it, quite a lot of the time you will find empty wrappers around the shop and people havnt paid for them

This is something I find quite gross as well. It neatly brings me on to something I'm sure many retail workers will have anecdotes about, particularly around Christmas.

I was shopping for some gel pens at the local supermarket t'other night intending to use the gold and silver ones in particular for writing gift tags etc. I picked up a pack of what should have been 6 gel pens (assorted colours) only to discover that the pack was open and there were 2 pens missing - the gold and silver ones. I put the pack down and picked up another - low and behold the same problem!

I also saw quite a few packs of the more expensive branded pens (Pentel etc.) where some git had obviously opened the pack, taken out one pen and left the rest.

I've also seen some right sorts opening an 8 can pack of Diet Coke cans, take a can out and walk away with it.

There's no excuse!
  • jrajra Posts: 48,325
    Forum Member
    Knowing the shop well you know it's never been sold in your store so you suggest trying Argos?

The customer doesn't know how well you know the shop though do they.

Unless they are mind readers that is.
  • jrajra Posts: 48,325
    Forum Member
    Hate it when customers go around the shop eating things while they are shopping.

If they are that hungry they should eat before they leave the house, not stuff their faces while they are doing their shopping.

I just think its nasty and bad mannered, and technically they havnt paid for what they are eating.

What checkout operater wants to pick up a mars bar wrapper and scan it after someones slobbering chops have been all over it. :mad:

Thats if they even go to pay for it, quite a lot of the time you will find empty wrappers around the shop and people havnt paid for them

Indeed and the lazy gits who just put various items down anywhere without returning them to where they got them from in the first place.

Buy an item first and then eat/drink it.
    The other way around is not acceptable.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 648
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'll be honest... Where I work I regularly get frustrated with customers asking stupid questions etc, or in fact just failing to use the product pegs correctly... But these are the sorts of things that actually (although annoying) give us a laugh at work.

The thing I cannot stand, and what really irritates me is the way that certain people treat shop assistants as though we are beneath them - talking to us like dirt, interrupting us mid sentence (when we are dealing with another customer) shouting across the store at us and generally having no manners when talking to us (a please and thank you go a long way). We are there to assist a customer, but I don't see why we should have to be pleasant and curteous to those who are horrible to us.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,341
    Forum Member
    shouting across the store at us

I don't give a toss whether I now work at the Co-op or not (if things don't pick up there next year I might jump ship*)
    Any customer:-
    doing that
    clicking their fingers at me
    waving me over
    WILL get ignored
    Haven;t had this yet (but there's still time). BTW the guy who did the shoplifting last week (and pulled a knife out the Friday night before last Christmas Eve) and Christmas eve got released on bail!!

*The vast majority of the customers've been great so far but it's more to do with the lack of customers there.I'd have thought that NETTO (W*****S!) being taken over by the Co-Op'd improve things but somebody at head office didn't do their research properly and the people in the area weren't asked.
    Forum Member
    Somebody wasted half a good can of Stella Artois today. It wasn't5 this, it was the fact that they left it on one of the bollards next the one of the bins outside the shop.
    The two big black things with big holes on both sides near the shop aren't there for show.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,559
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What really annoys me is when your serving a customer and they walk off for a good 5 minutes whilst other customers are waiting! Another one is when there's a queue and the customer can't be bothered to wait so they leave the right money.
  • radiosgaloreradiosgalore Posts: 5,348
    Forum Member
    I was insulted once by a customer, I have red cheeks. And I have always hated this. The customer shouted at me what the F***s that on your face. :( I now wear foundation to cover it up everyday without fail.
    thats incedibly harsh :mad: Red cheeks are not all that common and those who have them usually don't like them. If its any comfort to you I think it looks really pretty
    motsy wrote:
    Believe it or not, I like working at the Co-op but it things at the oner I work at don't pick up next year, I might jump ship before the place sinks.
    Anyway, the Co-op got robbed (again) today. From what I hear three bottles of champagne got broke abd what was the shoplifter's exscuse? He's broke and it's Christmas.
    DIDDUMS!!!! So are a lot of people but they don't resort to shoplifting.

I'm liking your posts more and more. :D That kinda sarcasm is exactly like the kind I use all the time
    motsy wrote: »
    Somebody wasted half a good can of Stella Artois today. It wasn't5 this, it was the fact that they left it on one of the bollards next the one of the bins outside the shop.
    The two big black things with big holes on both sides near the shop aren't there for show.
    Lost track of how many people asked me where the bin was during my time in McDonalds. That place seems to attract the thick, stupid and the riff-raff
  • roland ratroland rat Posts: 13,829
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Sat...xmas eve

One of the girls was doing the reductions, and one customer had 5 strawberry Gateau at £2 each, normal price £8

She asked the colleague to reduce them further, as this is what she was doing with the remaining gateau's, now reduced to 50p

Colleague, said no, what ever price they were when you took them of, is the price you pay, with that the customer threw 4 of the gateau at the colleague, and then walked out the shop

The customer hasnt been back yet, but if she does she in for a big surprise, pinky and perky will be waiting for them
  • euphieeuphie Posts: 2,280
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    jra wrote: »

Buy an item first and then eat/drink it.
    The other way around is not acceptable.

I'll be honest, I was in Tesco last night helping my mum do the shopping, and as I have a torn limagent in my foot, I was in a lot of pain halfway through, so I lifted a bottle of water off a shelf, took a sip along with my painkillers, and then put into the trolley...

But I#d never eat anything halfway round the shop, or open packs and take one and leave the rest
  • radiosgaloreradiosgalore Posts: 5,348
    Forum Member
    euphie wrote: »
    I'll be honest, I was in Tesco last night helping my mum do the shopping, and as I have a torn limagent in my foot, I was in a lot of pain halfway through, so I lifted a bottle of water off a shelf, took a sip along with my painkillers, and then put into the trolley...

But I#d never eat anything halfway round the shop, or open packs and take one and leave the rest

I think a medical issue like that is more than acceptable. Even if security did have a go it would cause such a row I don't think they would be able to keep their job
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 339
    Forum Member
    customers knowing that you close today at 4pm and at 4:15 purposely wasting time mulling around asking ridiculous questions aaghhh :mad:
  • Face Of JackFace Of Jack Posts: 7,181
    Forum Member
    In the store where I work - we had a HUGE sign at the entrance saying "Xmas Cards & Gifts >>>>". We also had a similar one hung from the ceiling saying "Xmas Area ^^^^^""
    Did anyone read them?? Did they f**k !! We still got asked - "where's your Christmas stuff?"
    Customers basically CANNOT read!! They need US to nurse and guide them around the store because they are incapable of looking after themselves. AAAArgh!!! Thank goodness we have a few decent normal customers to help us back to reality!
    There really are a few plonkers about! I've about had enough.....I know how Motsy feels!!
    Forum Member
    euphie wrote: »

Then there's the people who bring their own food into the shop and expect the staff to get rid of the container for them or they just leave it lying around on the shelves.
    Forum Member
    In the store where I work - we had a HUGE sign at the entrance saying "Xmas Cards & Gifts >>>>". We also had a similar one hung from the ceiling saying "Xmas Area ^^^^^""
    Did anyone read them?? Did they f**k !! We still got asked - "where's your Christmas stuff?"
    Customers basically CANNOT read!! They need US to nurse and guide them around the store because they are incapable of looking after themselves. AAAArgh!!! Thank goodness we have a few decent normal customers to help us back to reality!
    There really are a few plonkers about! I've about had enough.....I know how Motsy feels!!

Cheers for that last remark and a lot of people on here'll agree with me. Strangely ernough, I've had very little to complain about since I started working at the Co-Op but my main complaint about the Co-Op is that a well respected and more renown British company have the decency to take over what used to be NETTO (*******!!!), over a bigger range of well known brands (I swear I'd never heard of Guiness sauce until I started wortking there). I don';t know how much Head office spent on the place but just where're all the customers???
    I've been talking with a a few customers about the place and we've agreed on one thing, we can see the place closing which is why I might jump ship if things don't pick up.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 176
    Forum Member
    My bugbear is when customers put their bags on the belt before the shopping...like...'there are my bags,get packing'

There are a lot of lazy/ignorant people in our store/town.
  • hobbleithobbleit Posts: 10,709
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Went back to work today. Apart from it being a bit busy it was so good to be back.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,924
    Forum Member
    Hi I just wanted to say a huge well done and thank you to you all. I have worked in shops and had forgotten how rude and downright ignorant some customers can be. Luckily I escaped that line of work. Only one thing left to say to all those customers ...... NO THE CUSTOMER IS NOT ALWAYS RIGHT!!! Happy New Year, hope you all have a good 2012. x
  • KnowAll27KnowAll27 Posts: 2,639
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I hate it when customers complain to me about the price of magazines, and tell me that I should charge less for them. Two reasons for this:

1) I'm just the sales assistant. Decisions about pricing are not made by me, but someone several rungs higher up the ladder.

2) When it comes to magazines, the decision is entirely out of our hands, but is instead decided by the people who made it, hence the price printed on the cover.

I honestly don't mind customers having a gripe at me when it's something I'm in control of / can resolve for them / point them at the right person to solve their query. However, when it's something that's clearly got nothing to do with me or anyone who works in the shop it's not a query or a complaint. It's a rant,and I certainly wouldn't go into someone else's workplace and start ranting at them.
  • ProgRockerProgRocker Posts: 1,325
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    KnowAll27 wrote: »
    I hate it when customers complain to me about the price of magazines, and tell me that I should charge less for them. Two reasons for this:

1) I'm just the sales assistant. Decisions about pricing are not made by me, but someone several rungs higher up the ladder.

2) When it comes to magazines, the decision is entirely out of our hands, but is instead decided by the people who made it, hence the price printed on the cover.

I honestly don't mind customers having a gripe at me when it's something I'm in control of / can resolve for them / point them at the right person to solve their query. However, when it's something that's clearly got nothing to do with me or anyone who works in the shop it's not a query or a complaint. It's a rant,and I certainly wouldn't go into someone else's workplace and start ranting at them.

Well said! I find the price of 'Practical Classics' car magazine very high at £4.30 an issue, a little thin on content and very full of adverts. However, it isn't the shop assistant's fault. Their complaints should be with the publishers but I guess that these people are too lazy to do this in writing so its easier for them to complain to shop staff.

The thing that p***es me off at the moment are customers that don't say anything at all when you serve them. Had 3 or 4 of them like this on Saturday. No greeting, no thank you...nothing. I do wonder how on Earth they function in the wider society with other people. :rolleyes:
  • Joey BoswellJoey Boswell Posts: 25,141
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    We had the last of our christmas items which were reduced to rock bottom prices today, 3 greedy customers came in when the shop opend and filled up a small trolly with these things and constantly badgered me into scanning the things on a handset and telling them how much they cost.

In the end I had had enough and told them to go and see the checkout surpervisor, I had put a couple of things aside for myself and they even tried to pinch them, until I fished them out of their trolly and told them they were mine.

God I hope I dont see them again in a hurry. :mad:
  • Gordie1Gordie1 Posts: 6,993
    Forum Member
    Had a family in the other day, other staff seen the mother open 12 pack drinks and give it to their kids, they were followed, some drinks were dumped on shelves, some the kids kept, the packaging was dumped also.

They tried to leave with the opened drinks, manager stopped them and told the woman she had to pay for the 12 pack of drinks, woman says no, her children picked them up and that they were already open when they got there, and tried to hand back the half used drinks.

They were told no, they opened and used them, therefore they are paying for them.

The woman then said as the manager could only produce 11 empty packs of the products they weren't paying unless they got the 1 drink they were missing.

At that point, the manager said, fine, i will let the police deal with you.

A few minutes later the police turned up, she started arguing with the police, officers, then the husband turns up from out side and starts shoving the kids around saying something in (what sounded to me) Arabic.
    The police had to remove him, when asked her name, she got all nervous and said "no name....no name", "my husband give name", she paid sharpish and promised ever to visit us again,, we were happy with that result and told her so.

We get it all the time, folk come in and give their kids toys, dummies, sweets, drinks, whatever they think will shut the kids up while they do there shopping, then once they decide to go to the checkout, the stuff, half eaten, opened, broken, gets dumped on the nearest shelf to them, at what point the kids normally start crying.
    W%$nkers!!!
  • ProgRockerProgRocker Posts: 1,325
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    We had the last of our christmas items which were reduced to rock bottom prices today, 3 greedy customers came in when the shop opend and filled up a small trolly with these things and constantly badgered me into scanning the things on a handset and telling them how much they cost.

Those goods will probably end up on a car boot sale for 3 times the price in the spring or summer.
  • Joey BoswellJoey Boswell Posts: 25,141
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ProgRocker wrote: »
    Those goods will probably end up on a car boot sale for 3 times the price in the spring or summer.

The same customers came back on Thursday with 8 of the items they had brought, and demanded a refund, didnt want them anymore, had the receipt so they got a refund back on their card, a grand total of £7.89.

Why buy all this gear if you are going to bring it back within two days and get a refund.

Greedy pair just didnt want anybody else to get anything.

They complained as well that they had been kept waiting at the customer service desk, and wanted to make a complaint about my colleague, who they reckoned was muttering under her breath.

They were actually very rude, and were holding up 4 people behinde them, whinging about their piffling £7.89 refund.

I told my colleague, if they make a complaint to come and find me and I would back her up.

Bloody Timewasters.
This discussion has been closed.