Options

Advice re breadmakers

Loobs72Loobs72 Posts: 631
Forum Member
✭✭
I had a breadmaker ages ago but when I made white bread in it, it used to have a strange taste to it, not like normal white bread. Anyone know why as I would love to get another one if I could make normal tasting white bread?

Comments

• Options
    katywilkatywil Posts: 1,245
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Loobs72 wrote: »
    I had a breadmaker ages ago but when I made white bread in it, it used to have a strange taste to it, not like normal white bread. Anyone know why as I would love to get another one if I could make normal tasting white bread?
    I've never had strange tasting bread from my breadmaker. maybe it was your yeast? I use hovis bread mix in mine and it tastes lovely. I have tried other recipes from a cook book but it never seems to rise properly. or sometimes rises too much and flops down a bit. but whatever I use, it always tastes perfect
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,941
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

The taste seemed strange to you, because it wasn't packed full of preservatives and all sorts of other crap. Once your palette becomes more refined, you may start to enjoy the taste of home made bread.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Darcy_ wrote: »
    The taste seemed strange to you, because it wasn't packed full of preservatives and all sorts of other crap. Once your palette becomes more refined, you may start to enjoy the taste of home made bread.

Does that mean all breadmakers make white bread with that funny taste?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I think shop bought bread tastes funny...like I say, you need to refine your palate. Either that, or you've not followed the recipe properly.
  • Options
    katywilkatywil Posts: 1,245
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    my bread tastes like bread. no funny taste. can you describe the funny taste? difficult I know. did it taste like a wet dog? or a rancid dishcloth? :)
  • Options
    MenkMenk Posts: 13,831
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

A load of patronising and unhelpful rubbish.

Not sure what to suggest OP - I make my own bread in a bread maker and it has always tasted great. It could have been the bread maker itself or the ingredients but we'll never know.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Menk wrote: »

Not sure what to suggest OP - I make my own bread in a bread maker and it has always tasted great. It could have been the bread maker itself or the ingredients but we'll never know.

Nope. It's just the truth.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Menk wrote: »

Why would it be the breadmaker? I was going o buy a cheap one today to try it as I don't want to spend loads of money to find I still don't like the taste of the white bread but do you think the breadmaker could be causing the funny taste?

The taste was a bit yeasty but I did put the right amount of yeast in.
  • Options
    c00kiemonster72c00kiemonster72 Posts: 2,363
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I often found the bread was yeasty in taste from breadmakers, even if the amount of yeast was cut back on,
    Back a few years Breville brought out a breadmaker which at the time cost £120 which was fan assisted. This was the only breadmaker at the time that produced bread that didn't have this yeasty taste after the bread was baked for me.
    I've not used breadmaker for years though now as I make mine in my Kenwood K-Mix and bake it in the oven.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 511
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Why would it be the breadmaker? I was going o buy a cheap one today to try it as I don't want to spend loads of money to find I still don't like the taste of the white bread but do you think the breadmaker could be causing the funny taste?

The taste was a bit yeasty but I did put the right amount of yeast in.

Can't answer that one - but I've had 2 cheap bread makers in the past - which both found their way to the local tip. Our current one (Panasonic SD255) has lasted maybe 4 years so far (a lot of time, admittedly in cupboards), but it produced consistently good bread.

My experience, and that learnt from research before buying this last breadmaker:-

* Be precise with measurements, maybe adjusting from experience, but still measuring with care.

* Add ingredients in the precise order said in the instructions (at least in the case of the Panny which provides justification for why the ingredients are added in the order that they are)

* Use a strong flour, where appropriate (for most breads)

* Use a "fresh" yeast (what I mean is, even dried yeast - since this can live in a cupboard for many months, make sure it's within its sell-by). I tend to use dried yeasts and have few problems unless they're old.

* Not all machines are the same - our cheaper machines had problems with uniform cooking and not proving/rising the bread properly. There's a reason, I guess, that the Panny takes 5 hours to make a sandwich loaf

FWIW... one gimmick on the Panny that might make or break a particular model's deal is the raisin tray - I went through a phase of using this in conjunction with a brioche recipe to make loafs that my wife devoured with vigour.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,856
    Forum Member
    If the machine didn't proof properly, the yeast may have not fully activated, thus leaving a yeasty taste to the result - this could be due to old yeast, wrong room temps, too short a proofing time. If it was due to this, then it can be fixed. Though maybe the recipe was not to your taste? have you tried making homemade bread without the machine for comparison?

Personally I love my machine - I didn't think I would when I was gifted it, but I wouldn't be without it now. I made a layered tomato and spicy sausage, cream cheese and spinach pleated loaf yesterday - it's almost gone already. :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Speck tater that sounds amazing.

Well I have gone and done it and plumped for a decent machine as my mum said she will have it if I don't like the bread out of it.

I got the Panasonic SD-2501. I have a rapid white loaf in baking now. This might not work properly though as I cocked up at the start. I did all the ingredients for a large loaf and started the machine. About 3 minutes in I realised I had it on medium instead of large size loaf so stopped it and switched it so we will see.

Can people with breadmakers tell me is there a big difference and what the difference is in the results of a rapid bake loaf and a normal bake loaf?

• Options
    Welsh-ladWelsh-lad Posts: 51,925
    Forum Member

Why would that be?

Bakery bread has few if any preservatives in it.

The flour and mixes people use in breadmakers has usually been treated and has additives in it as well.

"Refine your palette" - goodnes gracious. Thanks for that, Hyacinth Bucket.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Welsh-lad wrote: »
    Why would that be?

The flour and mixes people use in breadmakers has usually been treated and has additives in it as well.

Oooh-no need to get your knickers in a twist because you don't agree, especially when I am right :D
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,856
    Forum Member
    Speck tater that sounds amazing.

Well I have gone and done it and plumped for a decent machine as my mum said she will have it if I don't like the bread out of it.

I got the Panasonic SD-2501. I have a rapid white loaf in baking now. This might not work properly though as I cocked up at the start. I did all the ingredients for a large loaf and started the machine. About 3 minutes in I realised I had it on medium instead of large size loaf so stopped it and switched it so we will see.

Can people with breadmakers tell me is there a big difference and what the difference is in the results of a rapid bake loaf and a normal bake loaf?

I find the rapid setting means the loaf doesn't rise as much and gives a slightly heavier bread - perfectly edible though and great for toast / garlic bread / B&B pudding if there's any left after the first day (rare!).

Have fun and let us know how it turns out :)
  • Options
    hustedhusted Posts: 5,287
    Forum Member
    I have a Panny too :)

I do white on normal. All a matter of preference.

Something to chew on:

Does your daily bread contain human hair?
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/newsnight/2007/01/does_your_daily_bread_contain_human_hair.html
    The problem for a would-be vegan like me is that traditionally L-Cysteine is produced from feathers, pig bristles and sometimes even human hair.

These days L-Cysteine can also be produced synthetically but apparently human hair remains one of the richest sources of this amino acid – it makes up about 14% of your hair - and there is a small industry in China making the additive from hair clippings.

But no guarantee you'll prefer the taste of home-made bread. You may miss the L-Cysteine flour improver! :)
  • Options
    Welsh-ladWelsh-lad Posts: 51,925
    Forum Member
    Oooh-no need to get your knickers in a twist because you don't agree, especially when I am right :D

You're not right. ":D"
  • Options
    Brady12Brady12 Posts: 796
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I've had the Panasonic SD-2500 for a few months now and never had a bad loaf, I use Allinson strong flour.

Only had one rapid loaf and as above, it just didn't rise enough. I put all my ingredients in last thing at night and use the timer to have it ready the next morning.

How do others store theirs? I bought aome cheap Bread bags from the 99p store but find the bread too stale the next day.
  • Options
    burton07burton07 Posts: 10,871
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Brady12 wrote: »
    I've had the Panasonic SD-2500 for a few months now and never had a bad loaf, I use Allinson strong flour.

Only had one rapid loaf and as above, it just didn't rise enough. I put all my ingredients in last thing at night and use the timer to have it ready the next morning.

How do others store theirs? I bought aome cheap Bread bags from the 99p store but find the bread too stale the next day.

I've had two Panasonics now. The first one I bought was fine but the bread stuck in the pan and I ruined it trying to get the loaf out. I bought a new one recently and the pan is non-stick so the loaf just slides out. I never buy shop bread and I make my own daily. I too put the ingredients in before we go to bed, and set the timer so that we wake up to fresh baked bread.

I used to use Tesco own brand strong white flour, but recently the bread stopped rising as well as it used to. They must have changed their supplier or something. I now use Allisons Strong White flour and every loaf is perfect.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Well I am so happy to report that my white bread did not have that horrible taste I was dreading, it tasted delicious even though I did a rapid bake. I have got a whole meal loaf baking now on the normal length bake.

One more question if you don't mind fellow breadmaker owners.........

In the recipe book that came with the machine it says choices of white rapid loaf, white loaf and white sandwich.

What is the difference between bite loaf and white sandwich?
  • Options
    stud u likestud u like Posts: 42,100
    Forum Member

Good home made bread should taste of yeast.

You can make yeastless bread with milk, flour, bicarb and cream of tartar.
  • Options
    stud u likestud u like Posts: 42,100
    Forum Member
    Welsh-lad wrote: »
    Why would that be?

Some do but not all. You can buy perfectly good flour and bread mixes which have not been mucked about with.
  • Options
    HollyCHollyC Posts: 5,850
    Forum Member
    Well I am so happy to report that my white bread did not have that horrible taste I was dreading, it tasted delicious even though I did a rapid bake. I have got a whole meal loaf baking now on the normal length bake.

In the recipe book that came with the machine it says choices of white rapid loaf, white loaf and white sandwich.

A sandwich loaf has a softer crust.

I love my breadmaker, but I've cut down the number of loaves I make because they are too yummy and I have no willpower! :o

I've also made jam in mine, which came out lovely :)

Next weekend, I'm planning on having a go at home-made pizza, with the base recipe that I've got in my breadmaker booklet.
  • Options
    burton07burton07 Posts: 10,871
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

A white sandwich is a squarer, firmer loaf that's better for making sandwiches. White loaf is a more traditional shape with a rounded top. White rapid is just a quicker cooking time.
  • Options
    whoever,heywhoever,hey Posts: 30,992
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

You can add preservatives if you like.