Options

eBay Item not as described case - How is this likely to play out?

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 777
Forum Member
✭✭
I've opened a case against a seller for an item being not as described. I bought a bundle of maternity clothes that she listed as BNWT, in fact only 2 items were and the rest were used. However, in the description she stated everything was immaculate and only worn once or twice. With this in mind I bid quite high for them and won. I expected to receive the bundle in pristine condition with no wear or flaws but sadly this wasn't the case.

A pair of jeans are frayed at the bottom, most tops have some bobbling, large greasy stain on a nightdress, one of the BNWT tops has a mark on it and both of them have belts missing. There are belt loops on both tops and the style of them is to have a belt that ties over the bump. They would have been sold in the shop with a belt.

I've opened a case against the seller stating the above asking for a partial refund and I keep the items or I return them for a full refund and she covers the cost of return postage. She's having none of it and says she's spoken to someone at eBay at length and they've told her the case will be found in her favour.

Has anyone been in a similar position and can advise as to what might happen? I thought eBay always found in the buyer's favour in cases like this. I'm slightly worried as I paid a lot of money for the bundle and I've ended up with a load of carp!

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,941
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    joo-joo wrote: »
    I've opened a case against a seller for an item being not as described. I bought a bundle of maternity clothes that she listed as BNWT, in fact only 2 items were and the rest were used. However, in the description she stated everything was immaculate and only worn once or twice. With this in mind I bid quite high for them and won. I expected to receive the bundle in pristine condition with no wear or flaws but sadly this wasn't the case.

A pair of jeans are frayed at the bottom, most tops have some bobbling, large greasy stain on a nightdress, one of the BNWT tops has a mark on it and both of them have belts missing. There are belt loops on both tops and the style of them is to have a belt that ties over the bump. They would have been sold in the shop with a belt.

I've opened a case against the seller stating the above asking for a partial refund and I keep the items or I return them for a full refund and she covers the cost of return postage. She's having none of it and says she's spoken to someone at eBay at length and they've told her the case will be found in her favour.

Has anyone been in a similar position and can advise as to what might happen? I thought eBay always found in the buyer's favour in cases like this. I'm slightly worried as I paid a lot of money for the bundle and I've ended up with a load of carp!

Definite false advertising
  • Options
    mred2000mred2000 Posts: 10,050
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I've had SNAD cases in the past and they simply resulted in me opening cases on ebay and returning products for a refund. You might have a fight to get the postage returned, always seems a bit fiddly that one.
    I recommend posting on the buyers forum on ebay and seeing what else folk can tell you.
  • Options
    SaddlerSteveSaddlerSteve Posts: 4,325
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I think the bit about her speaking to eBay is a load of rubbish.
    Sounds like she's trying to scare you off.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think the bit about her speaking to eBay is a load of rubbish.
    Sounds like she's trying to scare you off.

I agree. If the case is open then see what happens and escalate it after 8 days if the seller is still messing about. Only communicate with her through ebay, too.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    mred2000 wrote: »
    I've had SNAD cases in the past and they simply resulted in me opening cases on ebay and returning products for a refund. You might have a fight to get the postage returned, always seems a bit fiddly that one.
    I recommend posting on the buyers forum on ebay and seeing what else folk can tell you.

She won't accept me returning the items at my expense or hers. She refuses to refund me at all so I have no choice but to escalate the claim. I don't have the option to do that at the moment, I assume it will appear after a few days have passed.
  • Options
    MarkLS12MarkLS12 Posts: 1,128
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I bought a bundle of maternity clothes that she listed as BNWT, in fact only 2 items were and the rest were used. However, in the description she stated everything was immaculate and only worn once or twice.

Something 'worn one or twice' can't also be Brand New With Tags, can it?
    Unless they were worn and not washed afterwards.
  • Options
    CitySlickerCitySlicker Posts: 10,414
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Having experienced both sides of ebay as a buyer and a seller, it's almost universally acknowledged the buyer has much more rights than the seller. Ebay won't have spoken to her at length - they don't have the staff to do that, they have online dispute resolution processes, forums and help pages.

http://pages.ebay.co.uk/help/buyer-protection-faq.html#The%20item%20I%20received%20is%20either%20wrong,%20damaged,%20or%20it%20doesn%E2%80%99t%20match%20the%20seller%E2%80%99s%20description%20%28%E2%80%9CSignificantly%20Not%20As%20Described%E2%80%9D%20or%20SNAD%29.%20When%20should%20I%20contact%20eBay?

Likelihood is ebay will find in your favour, you'll get your purchase and postage prices refunded but you'll have to pay return postage. You can leave negative feedback but the seller cannot leave negative feedback for you.

I'd be tempted to link that guidance to her, don't enter a tit-for-tat 'ebay said...' '...no they didn't' argument, instead say you want to receive x refund and if she agrees then you get the items you want, she gets a partial sale she wants and you could agree not to leave negative feedback (but I'd leave neutral feedback in this scenario). Otherwise advise you've tried to negotiate as best as you can, you'll have to walk away from discussions if she cannot reason and you'll leave it in the hands of the ebay dispute centre.

Might want to take photos of the problems and email them to her demonstrating SNAD problems.

The rules are definitely on your side here, but you'll have to pay return postage if you cannot mutually agree something.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yes, escalations only appear after 8 days. Then ebay will most likely ask you to return the items via a trackable service and give them the tracking info. Did you pay via paypal? If so then they can even automate the refund if needed.
    ...she gets a partial sale she wants and you could agree not to leave negative feedback

I wouldn't mention feedback at all. Feedback blackmail is frowned upon by eBay.
  • Options
    livininadavelivininadave Posts: 143
    Forum Member
    you'll win the case without a doubt. ebay always sides with the buyer. you won't have to pay for the return postage either. last time i opened a case like this, ebay sent me a link where i could print out the returns label
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Thanks, I did take photos and have sent them to her via an eBay message. She denies that any of the marks or wear were present when she posted the items. It's like banging my head against a brick wall.

If the worst that can happen is that I'll have to fork out for return postage then I can live with that. She's also whinging that it cost her £12 to post to me by Parcelforce and she only charged me £5.00 so there's no way she's covering return postage cost. I've already priced up what it will cost to send back and My Hermes will do it for £5.40, lol!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    As long as MyHermes give you a tracking number that ebay can use to check online that delivery has been attempted then that's fine. I've never used them so I don't know.
  • Options
    CitySlickerCitySlicker Posts: 10,414
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I used MyHermes three times and would never use again. Saying that if it's only clothes and you get a tracking number it might be okay.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    don't bother with myhermes. as i've already said, ebay should pay the postage, especially if the seller refuses to take them back and ebay sides with you
  • Options
    gothergother Posts: 14,705
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Open a case against her trust me Ebay always go in favour of the buyer.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    don't bother with myhermes. as i've already said, ebay should pay the postage, especially if the seller refuses to take them back and ebay sides with you

They don't always do that, though. It's a rarity. Certainly worth waiting until ebay says to return the items, though.
    gother wrote: »
    Open a case against her trust me Ebay always go in favour of the buyer.

First line of the first post didn't give that away, huh? :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    mred2000 wrote: »
    They don't always do that, though. It's a rarity. Certainly worth waiting until ebay says to return the items, though.
    well in my experience, they do. either way, if the case is reviewed by CS and the seller refuses to take the item back, but eBay insists they do, then it makes sense that they'll say "right, we'll pay the postage, send it back, and once it's confirmed as delivered to the seller, let us know and you'll get your money back"

and seeing as the seller doesn't want them back, i can see ebay paying the postage.
  • Options
    gulliverfoylegulliverfoyle Posts: 6,318
    Forum Member
    ebay is always in the buyers favour now one of the reasons i gave up

ebay will probaly send you a label to send it back
  • Options
    RumerRumer Posts: 259
    Forum Member
    Sorry, a load of carp made me laugh.

Anyway I agree they will rule in your favour. They will even reimburse you and then ask the seller for the money back.

This happened to me, I sold something quite expensive, the buyer said it wasn't as described, ebay refunded them and they never returned it. Lost the money and the item.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Rumer wrote: »
    This happened to me, I sold something quite expensive, the buyer said it wasn't as described, ebay refunded them and they never returned it. Lost the money and the item.

Why didn't you point out to eBay that they hadn't returned it via a trackable method? In similar situations, from what I've read on the eBay forum, seller have threatened eBay with legal action. Normal procedure, if the seller doesn't respond to a case, is that eBay will request the buyer return the item and provide them with the tracking number so eBay can see that delivery has been at least attempted before refunding them.
  • Options
    bossoftheworldbossoftheworld Posts: 4,941
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What a rip off though. Selling stuff like it's brand new then it's all a load of crap. Fight for your rights in this case.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    There's been a development. The seller, for some reason, decided to search for me on Facebook. I have an unusual surname so not difficult to find. I have a business page linked to my personal account to promote my eBay shop where I sell new and used maternity clothes. I know she's done this as she "liked" the page and her name matched the PayPal email address that I had paid to. I immediately blocked her on Facebook and on my eBay selling account.

I often buy second hand bundles of maternity clothes on eBay to re-sell. I used to do it all from the same account but realised it was better to keep buying and selling separate so opened another account just for buying, which is within eBay's rules.

She was already pretty annoyed with me for opening a case against her and now she knows I bought her bundle to re-sell she's probably even more narked. She's sent me a message asking if the selling account is mine and I haven't responded.

I'm now worried that if I see this case through and leave appropriate feedback she may try and ruin my business in some way. I sell only BINs with immediate payment so if she or her friends wish to trash my listings they'll initially have to cough up.

I should also point out she didn't post the bundle out to me until 2 weeks after the auction ended and didn't reply to my polite messages asking if she'd sent it. It's been a total nightmare from the get go. I know I should see it through but part of me thinks it would be best to close the case and cut my losses to protect my business account from a potential attack. It's a tricky one!
  • Options
    Tweacle Tart IITweacle Tart II Posts: 5,079
    Forum Member
    Sorry to hijack this thread joo-joo but I'm in a similar position and just wanted people's opinions (I only clicked on this as I thought it might be the seller I'm having trouble with :o )

Basically, I bought an item of clothing that is only sequinned on one side (the front) - the description does not make any mention of this at all and there is no photograph of the back of the item. The seller is refusing to refund me by saying that I should have asked the question and that the black on the reverse of the item can clearly be seen (it can't - it looks like a shadow or seam)

I'm going to open a case with E-Bay next week when I can but I wanted to gauge opinions on how E-Bay would find in this situation.
  • Options
    GogfumbleGogfumble Posts: 22,155
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sorry to hijack this thread joo-joo but I'm in a similar position and just wanted people's opinions (I only clicked on this as I thought it might be the seller I'm having trouble with :o )

Basically, I bought an item of clothing that is only sequinned on one side (the front) - the description does not make any mention of this at all and there is no photograph of the back of the item. The seller is refusing to refund me by saying that I should have asked the question and that the black on the reverse of the item can clearly be seen (it can't - it looks like a shadow or seam)

I'm going to open a case with E-Bay next week when I can but I wanted to gauge opinions on how E-Bay would find in this situation.

Is the item usually sold with sequins on the back and in this case wasn't. Or did you just assume it was sequinned on the back?
  • Options
    Tweacle Tart IITweacle Tart II Posts: 5,079
    Forum Member
    Gogfumble wrote: »
    Is the item usually sold with sequins on the back and in this case wasn't. Or did you just assume it was sequinned on the back?

To be honest I just assumed :o as I know if I was describing anything like that, I'd include it (and have done) and also pictures of both front and back as they're different (and have done) Her description was a very brief four lines.

And it can be either with or without - like any item of clothing.
  • Options
    GogfumbleGogfumble Posts: 22,155
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    To be honest I just assumed :o as I know if I was describing anything like that, I'd include it (and have done) and also pictures of both front and back as they're different (and have done) Her description was a very brief four lines.

And it can be either with or without - like any item of clothing.

What I meant was were you buying a specific top that you knew to be sequinned on both sides. Of course any piece of clothing can be decorated however, which would then lead me to say you probably have no case against the seller. Poor description maybe, but if they didn't lie then you shouldn't assume.