Mouldy Doc Martens!

kiviraatkiviraat Posts: 4,634
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Hey folks! Mr Kivi loves Doc Martens, but when we moved away three years ago he had to leave half his collection behind in the family home. He went down south last year and brought some more pairs up, but one pair was covered in mould! Proper green/blue mould! God knows what conditions they had been kept in!

He washed them using anti bacterial soap, polished them etc, but a few months on after being in the shoe cupboard, they're mouldy again, and not just one or two wee patches. They're covered in the stuff! Does anyone know the best way to get rid of this mould? He's had the shoes for years and doesn't want to get rid, but I don't fancy trying mould spray (like the dettol stuff) incase it buggers the leather/colour!

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,606
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    kiviraat wrote: »
    Hey folks! Mr Kivi loves Doc Martens, but when we moved away three years ago he had to leave half his collection behind in the family home. He went down south last year and brought some more pairs up, but one pair was covered in mould! Proper green/blue mould! God knows what conditions they had been kept in!

He washed them using anti bacterial soap, polished them etc, but a few months on after being in the shoe cupboard, they're mouldy again, and not just one or two wee patches. They're covered in the stuff! Does anyone know the best way to get rid of this mould? He's had the shoes for years and doesn't want to get rid, but I don't fancy trying mould spray (like the dettol stuff) incase it buggers the leather/colour!

They're clearly still wet somewhere. I had this on my shoes a few years back and I dipped them in hot water & bleach, then dried them with a hairdryer, they were fine and nothing ever happened since and that was easily 5 years ago. These were tan over the knee boots as well.
  • RadiomaniacRadiomaniac Posts: 43,510
    Forum Member
    I had a brilliant pair of Skechers trainers, I paid over £85 for them about 12 years ago.

When we moved, I washed them and left them to dry and then wrapped them in a plastic bag, packed ready for the move.

It was ages till I opened them and was shocked to see them covered inside and out in mould.

Obviously, they weren't as dry as I'd thought. I had to throw them away, nothing could save them - I fear this is what you will have to do, OP.
  • kiviraatkiviraat Posts: 4,634
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thanks guys. I was hoping to be able to rescue them, but perhaps 'retirement' is on the cards for them. I'll try cleaning them again and drying them out as best I can and see what happens from there :)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,151
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Can you try to get them really properly dry?

Do what you did last time and then try to dry them with a hairdryer.

You could then try stuffing them with newspaper to absorb as much moisture as possible.

Put them in an airing cupboard.

Also you can use rice and silica gel.

You can usually buy big bags of scilica gel in the guise of cat litter if you look in most supermarkets. Great for keeping stuff dry and stopping it going mouldy..... Which is why you always find a few sachets of it in with new shoes!