F1 Coverage - The Verdict: 2014 Season

D.M.N.D.M.N. Posts: 34,171
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Testing is up and running on Tuesday, so probably best to get things underway. :)

Only one change to the BBC and Sky line-ups, Gary Anderson and BBC have parted ways. Note that neither side has been officially confirmed in writing, but are nailed on, Sky more so than BBC.

[highlight]BBC F1[/highlight]
- Suzi Perry (Presenter)
- Ben Edwards (Commentator)
- David Coulthard (Commentator + Pundit)
- Eddie Jordan (Pundit)
- Lee McKenzie (Pitlane)
- Tom Clarkson (Pitlane)

* not officially confirmed by BBC, but a matter of pedantry on my half, really

BBC will screen
1) LIVE coverage of 9 race weekends: Practice (BBC Red Button), Qualifying, Race and Forum (BBC Red Button)
- March 30th: Malaysia
- May 11th: Spain
- June 8th: Canada
- July 6th: Britain
- August 24th: Belgium
- September 7th: Italy
- October 5th: Japan
- October 12th: Russia
- November 16th: Abu Dhabi

2) Highlights of 10 race weekends: Qualifying, Race and Forum (BBC Red Button)
- March 16th: Australia (afternoon)
- April 6th: Bahrain (evening – 90 minutes)
- April 20th: China (afternoon – 120 minutes)
- May 25th: Monaco (evening – 90 minutes)
- June 22nd: Austria (evening – 90 minutes)
- July 20th: Germany (evening – 90 minutes)
- July 27th: Hungary (evening – 90 minutes)
- September 21st: Singapore (evening – 90 minutes)
- October 26th: USA (late night – 120 minutes)
- November 2nd: Brazil (???)

[highlight]BBC 5 Live F1[/highlight]
- James Allen (Commentator)
- Jennie Gow (Pitlane)
- co-commentator tbc

* not officially confirmed by BBC, but a matter of pedantry on my half, really

BBC F1 is...
- available to watch/listen to again for up to 7 days on BBC iPlayer
- available to watch live online for the 9 races that they cover
- available to listen to live online for every race in 2014

[highlight]Sky Sports F1[/highlight]
- Simon Lazenby (Presenter - Main)
- Ted Kravitz (Presenter - Magazine + Pitlane)
- Steve Rider (Presenter - Legends)
- Martin Brundle (Commentator)
- David Croft (Commentator)
- Anthony Davidson (Commentator + Pundit)
- Damon Hill (Pundit)
- Johnny Herbert (Pundit)
- Natalie Pinkham (Presenter - Magazine + Pitlane)

Sky Sports F1 will screen...
- every Qualifying and Race LIVE uninterrupted advert free
- every F1 Practice session LIVE
- The F1 Show every Friday from March 7th
- GP2 and GP3 LIVE uninterrupted advert free
- along with a Legends programme and extra programming outside of race weekends
- interviews and other tidbits on Sky Sports News with Rachel Brookes and Craig Slater reporters

Sky Sports F1 is...
- available to people with Sky on Channel 406 who have the Sports package, or the legacy HD Pack pre-dating April 2013
- available to people with Virgin Media on Channel 516 who have the Sky Sports package (SD only, HD channel is Sky exclusive)
- not available to people with Freeview or BT Vision
- available on Sky Go with the relevant subscription
- available on Xbox 360 for Sky customers with an Xbox LIVE Gold subscription
- available on Now TV for £9.99 per day

[highlight]Other bits[/highlight]
- The BBC and Sky Sports deal is 2012 through to 2018 inclusive
- BBC's theme tune is Fleetwood Mac - The Chain
- Sky's theme tune is Alistair Griffin - Just Drive

Archive
2002 to 2007
- part 1 (March 2002 to June 2003)
- part 2 (June 2003 to May 2004)
- part 3 (May 2004 to April 2005)
- part 4 (April 2005 to November 2005)
- part 5 (November 2005 to June 2006)
- part 6 (June 2006 to March 2007)
- part 7 (March 2007 to January 2008)
- part 8 (January 2008 to March 2008)

- part 1
- part 2
- part 3

- part 1 -- unavailable
- part 2
- part 3

- part 1
- part 2
- part 3
- part 4

- part 1
- part 2
- part 3
- part 4
- part 5

- part 1
- part 2
- part 3
- part 4
- part 5

- part 1
- part 2
- part 3

Updated on January 21st, 2014.

Comments

• D.M.N.D.M.N. Posts: 34,171
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Away from F1...

BT Sport still have not confirmed their MotoGP team, although Toby Moody has confirmed that he is not part of the team.

Back to F1...

[HIGHLIGHT]Sky are not covering testing live[/highlight].
  • coventrywooocoventrywooo Posts: 3,473
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    D.M.N. wrote: »
    Away from F1...

BT Sport still have not confirmed their MotoGP team, although Toby Moody has confirmed that he is not part of the team.

Back to F1...

will they be doing the testing live they did last year ?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    Forum Member
    Nice one DMN, looking forward to a new year of F1 :)

You have forgotten the Sky Sports Mobile app, subscribe from £4.99 a month and the Sky Sports iPad companion app.

Natalie a presenter - you are having a laugh! Was hoping shed be gone this year.

But looks like the team for sky is the same, a snippet yesterday http://youtu.be/aso8mWUGveo
  • stu0rtstu0rt Posts: 946
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    When you say Sky F1 is "available on Xbox 360 for Sky customers with an Xbox LIVE Gold subscription", does the Sky customer have to have Sky Sports? If not, I suspect the 360 route might be cheaper than paying £5/month more for the legacy HD pack.

Also, isn't it about time they got rid of the fairly arbitrary titles? Martin Brundle is certainly a commentator, but he also does punditry too. They all seem to muck in and do a bit of everything.

I saw a 30-minute programme on 406 a few days ago that was really just a compilation of recent pundit appearances in Sky Sports News. It was really out of date, and didn't mention anything about Schumacker, Button's dad and other recent developments (which you might argue are irrelevant anyway, but the show was billed as a "news roundup as the new season gets under way").
  • Gary_LandyFanGary_LandyFan Posts: 3,824
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    So are the BBC not showing Practice Sessions on BBC Two again this year?

I take it what Ted said on SSN's F1 'day' about them showing the final test live was incorrect then.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    stu0rt wrote: »
    When you say Sky F1 is "available on Xbox 360 for Sky customers with an Xbox LIVE Gold subscription", does the Sky customer have to have Sky Sports? If not, I suspect the 360 route might be cheaper than paying £5/month more for the legacy HD pack.
    You either need a Sky Sports or HD Pack (if you had it before April 2013) as part of your Sky TV subscription to view it on an Xbox 360 via Sky Go. If you can view it via your Sky box, you can view it on an Xbox.

Alternatively you can buy Sky Go monthly passes, and use this to view via an XBox.
    stu0rt wrote: »
    I saw a 30-minute programme on 406 a few days ago that was really just a compilation of recent pundit appearances in Sky Sports News. It was really out of date, and didn't mention anything about Schumacker, Button's dad and other recent developments (which you might argue are irrelevant anyway, but the show was billed as a "news roundup as the new season gets under way").
    Was this during the day? It was likely to be the one of the preview loop programmes they show on the channel throughout the day when there is no programming being shown.
    Lack of content has been apparent since the channel launched though, with repeats being shown a number of time.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    Forum Member
    Re the testing this page updated at 10:51am today says this;

The Sky Sports F1 Online team will be providing live commentary of all three winter tests, starting in Jerez on Tuesday January 28, with live updates from trackside also on Sky Sports News.

Also, put in Jerez Testing into the sky+ app, Tue 28th showing something on Sky Sports f1 at 9pm (only 15 min) for starters...
  • stu0rtstu0rt Posts: 946
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    You either need a Sky Sports or HD Pack (if you had it before April 2013) as part of your Sky TV subscription to view it on an Xbox 360 via Sky Go. If you can view it via your Sky box, you can view it on an Xbox.

Thanks for that. I was hoping I could forgo the extra £5/month and buy a GOLD membership instead, but it seems from your answer that's not how it works. I suspect a monthly Go pass is more than £5 too, so I'm best sticking with what I have.
  • solarflaresolarflare Posts: 22,349
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    "Providing live commentary" sounds like quite a specifically vague choice of phrase, but let's see. I can't see anything in my EPG for Jerez yet, though.
  • pakokelso93pakokelso93 Posts: 11,029
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    solarflare wrote: »
    "Providing live commentary" sounds like quite a specifically vague choice of phrase, but let's see. I can't see anything in my EPG for Jerez yet, though.

It's live commentary from the 'online team'. Quite clearly text comms.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's live commentary from the 'online team'. Quite clearly text comms.

Ah yes - very true. Helps if you can read properly :D
  • F1KenF1Ken Posts: 4,229
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ah! a new thread, I wonder if their will be more to talk about this year?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    F1Ken wrote: »
    Ah! a new thread, I wonder if their will be more to talk about this year?

From a sporting point of view, loads.
    From a broadcasting point of view, it's a bit harder to see what the new talking points will be.

I'm sure I'll be proved wrong, though.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ITV have finally announces the dates for their Touring Car Legends programme, well A date, Wednesday 8th February; 8pm.

More Details:
    http://www.btcc.net/2014/01/21/touring-car-legends-documentary-comes-to-itv4-this-february/
  • _SpeedRacer__SpeedRacer_ Posts: 6,724
    Forum Member
    I'd expect the BBC highlights of Australia and Brazil to be 120 mins
  • AlexanderF1AlexanderF1 Posts: 134
    Forum Member
    I'd expect the BBC highlights of Australia and Brazil to be 120 mins

all the highlights shows should be 120min. dont understand the bbc policy. 1hr 30min for europe races and 2hrs for flyaways. its a joke,
    also still dont know why they dont just show full live delayed coverage for the 9 races instead of highlights.
  • _SpeedRacer__SpeedRacer_ Posts: 6,724
    Forum Member
    all the highlights shows should be 120min. dont understand the bbc policy. 1hr 30min for europe races and 2hrs for flyaways. its a joke,
    also still dont know why they dont just show full live delayed coverage for the 9 races instead of highlights.

Their contract doesn't allow them to most likely ...
  • stevvy1986stevvy1986 Posts: 7,076
    Forum Member

I think everyone here, as well as at the BBC, knows that if they could show full delayed coverage that they would. Yes they may get slaughtered for it being delayed, but they'd get slaughtered less than having the current situation. The contract won't allow them to show full delayed coverage. I'm pretty sure that if they could, they would.
  • D.M.N.D.M.N. Posts: 34,171
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    So are the BBC not showing Practice Sessions on BBC Two again this year?

I forgot about that. I imagine so.
    I take it what Ted said on SSN's F1 'day' about them showing the final test live was incorrect then.

Correct.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,386
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ITV have finally announces the dates for their Touring Car Legends programme, well A date, Wednesday 8th February; 8pm.

More Details:
    http://www.btcc.net/2014/01/21/touring-car-legends-documentary-comes-to-itv4-this-february/

Mistake on that page, it'll be Wednesday 5th February, the 8th is a Saturday.
  • ariusukariusuk Posts: 13,411
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Away from F1...

News of who their lead commentator will be has been quite widely leaked though, and I've seen it discussed on other forums.
  • FOMFanFOMFan Posts: 5,466
    Forum Member
    I wonder if FOM (or DixonBaxi, technically given that they'be been the ones to design the overlays, presentation & brand for the past 10 years) will (given the new regulations this year) take the opportunity to refresh things up, World-Feed (& extra channels of course) wise, in terms of the graphics? Would be a pleasant surprise IMO, but we'll see. In my opinion, it would look nice if they made the graphics a little more in line with the ones used on the website, rather than making the website look more similar to the TV graphics, although they are all designed by the same people (DixonBaxi) as far as i'm aware.

I still for the life of me don't understand why FOM produce a rolling highlights feed during each session, I know it does show the odd unique replay/camera angle, but apparently only 3 or 4 broadcasters offer it to their viewers... I mean it's nice and all, and it's a lovely vehicle for the gorgeous slo-mo shots FOM do, but the amount of viewers it gets must be tiny.
  • F1-AddictF1-Addict Posts: 812
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Their contract doesn't allow them to most likely ...
    Whilst I agree and suspect this is the case, Martin Whitmarsh said something very different when the deal was announced; http://www.jamesallenonf1.com/2011/07/whitmarsh-sky-deal-is-cautiously-good-news/
    Bernie assured me, and I asked him several times, the deferred coverage will not be highlights, it will be a full race.
    This was back when noone really knew how the deal would work in practice and the time restriction was probably included later at Sky's request as their exclusivity would lose a lot of it's impact if the Beeb showed a full race replay only 2 hours after the podium.

FOM Fan wrote: »
    I wonder if FOM (or DixonBaxi, technically given that they'be been the ones to design the overlays, presentation & brand for the past 10 years) will (given the new regulations this year) take the opportunity to refresh things up, World-Feed (& extra channels of course) wise, in terms of the graphics?
    Although LG have no involvement in the design of on-screen graphics their departure might encourage FOM to make changes. Team bosses were due to meet with FOM this month to prepare graphics with two proposed inclusions; fuel level and battery charge per driver. What FOM should really be looking at improving though is their online offering which hasn't changed in around 10 years.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The whys and wherefores of how the BBC ended up with highlights only rather than full replays still doesn't (to my ignorant ways, anyway) entirely explain the difference between the 90 minute and 2 hour shows. That one looks much more like a conscious BBC decision to me.
  • JonpollakJonpollak Posts: 2,552
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    solarflare wrote: »
    From a sporting point of view, loads.
    From a broadcasting point of view, it's a bit harder to see what the new talking points will be.

I'm sure I'll be proved wrong, though.

Well here's a bit of an "open the flood gates moment"
    Antena3 and TV3 have negotiated a deal that sees a 30% drop in FTA fees from its previous costs.

:o
    Slippery Slope ..
    Jp
This discussion has been closed.