Options

Incapacitated female left off at bus stop by police

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 585
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    NRG wrote: »

The video was filmed by members of the public from across the street and posted on social media networks, where it has sparked outrage.

Instead of whipping their bloody phones out why didn't they just go over and see if they could help? Doesn't filming this poor woman and slapping the footage on social media effectively rob her of her right to privacy and dignity?
  • Options
    Deep PurpleDeep Purple Posts: 63,255
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Instead of whipping their bloody phones out why didn't they just go over and see if they could help? Doesn't filming this poor woman and slapping the footage on social media effectively rob her of her right to privacy and dignity?

Play the footage with sound, and they are laughing, so hardly concerned or outraged at all.
  • Options
    anne_666anne_666 Posts: 72,891
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    On the second video she was having a fight with a police officer and then ran from what looked like a pub to the police car. She was NOT incapably drunk. She was having a tantrum.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 585
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Play the footage with sound, and they are laughing, so hardly concerned or outraged at all.

And here we have maybe the number one thing I hate about the world today - people able to film and share the suffering and humiliation of others at the press of a button. If there was one invention I could erase, it would be the video phone.
  • Options
    StylesStyles Posts: 714
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    She deserved what she got, she was lucky to even get that.
  • Options
    SomnerSomner Posts: 9,412
    Forum Member
    anne_666 wrote: »
    On the second video she was having a fight with a police officer and then ran from what looked like a pub to the police car. She was NOT incapably drunk. She was having a tantrum.

Where is this video?
  • Options
    TOOTandcomeinTOOTandcomein Posts: 986
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Somner wrote: »
    Where is this video?

On the BBC website

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-northern-ireland-foyle-west-26660733

Watch the whole thing, you can see her running around like a headless banshee.
  • Options
    Jol44Jol44 Posts: 21,048
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The gender of the person should be irrelevant.

I very much doubt this would have even been news had it been a bloke.
  • Options
    Jol44Jol44 Posts: 21,048
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Let's face it, dumping her there was wrong, pure and simple, there's no other argument to it.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    On the BBC website

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-northern-ireland-foyle-west-26660733

Watch the whole thing, you can see her running around like a headless banshee.

Well I take back my previous comments, that'll teach me for judging based on a few seconds of video. I still think they should have left on the pavement however.
  • Options
    exlordlucanexlordlucan Posts: 35,375
    Forum Member
    LakieLady wrote: »
    Absolutely not. But they should not leave someone who is so drunk that they are vulnerable lying in the road. They have a duty of care.

Seeing the latest clip I'd say she wasn't that drunk nor incapable of getting up from where they left her, she could even have got on the bus that stopped if she wanted to,

She was having a tantrum like a kid so no sympathy for her whatsoever and no blame apportioned to the police either, any normal person would have left her to get on with it just the same.
  • Options
    phylo_roadkingphylo_roadking Posts: 21,339
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's not a "bus lane", it's a marked-out parking lane wth a small stretch marked out as a bus pull-in beside a bus stop. John St. doesn't have any bus lanes...the local N.I. Road Service depot have marked out ticketed parking lanes in Derry with red gravel overlay, just like bus lanes elsewhere. The police deposited her "on the verge". They'd possiby have been at fault depositing an obstreperous drunk on the footpath!

A poster much further back up the thread may have actually called it right accidently - that the police were FAR more interested in the car and its driver, I.E. the Traveller (as in gypsy) behind the wheel - drunk, and yes probably no licence, and the car untaxed, uninsured, unMOT'd...:p She's lucky she's not getting an "Interfering with the police in the performance of their duties" Obstruction charge.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Jol44 wrote: »
    Let's face it, dumping her there was wrong, pure and simple, there's no other argument to it.

They didn't dump her, they moved her. She wasn't the incapacitated poor soul portrayed at the beginning of the thread. As usual with short film clips, we don't get the full picture.

She was quite capable of moving herself. She was having a drunken tantrum.
  • Options
    jackie_Fletcherjackie_Fletcher Posts: 919
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I can't think of any logically explanation as to why they felt it sufficient to just move her a few yards and still leave her in the road. She needed an ambulance, and they needed to wait with her for one. Regardless of what else is going on, she becomes the primary concern because her life is quite clearly at risk.

Drunk people do not deserve an ambulance.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Drunk people do not deserve an ambulance.

However the police have a duty of care to those who are drunk and incapable, and the most suitable place for them to uphold such a duty of care, unfortunately, is A&E. What else can be done with them?

It now appears in this case having seen the full video, this woman wasn't drunk and incapable.
  • Options
    Pisces CloudPisces Cloud Posts: 30,239
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well I take back my previous comments, that'll teach me for judging based on a few seconds of video. I still think they should have left on the pavement however.

A lesson learned for me too. :p Agreed, though, that it was still an inappropriate place to put her.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    dee123 wrote: »
    :confused: Yes. What was that about.

I did say "bloody hell" quite loud and scared the cat when the bus came into view.

As to what occurred, i'm sure the couple of resident police apologists around here will explain what happened....

What happened seems to have been a bit different to the initial portrayal of events.
  • Options
    NRGNRG Posts: 3,149
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Jol44 wrote: »

Absolutely! no question about it, the apologists are clutching at straws claiming anything other. I'll be first to stand up for good policing as and when but leaving a person on side of road in a busy urban street was wrong regardless of circumstances, and be under no illusions about it, these officers will pay a very heavy price for their action, or lack thereof.

However, this person is far from being a victim, she sees pounds signs dangling in front of her eyes and seeking the sympathy vote. She also comes from a family circle heavily steeped in criminal activity and anyone who knows the name with vouch for that.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Absolutely! no question about it, the apologists are clutching at straws claiming anything other. I'll be first to stand up for good policing as and when but leaving a person on side of road in a busy urban street was wrong regardless of circumstances

So you agree she should have been arrested for drunk&disorderly and obstruction?
  • Options
    anne_666anne_666 Posts: 72,891
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    NRG wrote: »
    Absolutely! no question about it, the apologists are clutching at straws claiming anything other. I'll be first to stand up for good policing as and when but leaving a person on side of road in a busy urban street was wrong regardless of circumstances, and be under no illusions about it, these officers will pay a very heavy price for their action, or lack thereof.

However, this person is far from being a victim, she sees pounds signs dangling in front of her eyes and seeking the sympathy vote. She also comes from a family circle heavily steeped in criminal activity and anyone who knows the name with vouch for that.

That explains a lot. Surely anyone in the grip of alcoholism watching themselves in that situation would get a short sharp shock. She is her own responsibility. Not this woman, she's blaming the police, as I would have expected. She wasn't incapacitated by alcohol at all a few seconds earlier. She was throwing a tantrum. They got her off the road and it wasn't a bus lane where she was left. Why wasn't she arrested? They did her a favour.
  • Options
    bluebladeblueblade Posts: 88,859
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't think there's too many arguments against this being unacceptable behaviour by the Officers, and I'll run with what the Assistant Chief Constable and a politician subsequently said about the incident:-
    PSNI Assistant Chief Constable George Hamilton said "at a first view" the police were seriously concerned.

Mr Hamilton said the behaviour, was "well below the standards we expect from our officers in dealing with vulnerable people whether the vulnerability is due to alcohol or anything else".

"This is a bad day for confidence in policing," said Mr Hamilton.

"It was horrendous. There was a build up to this incident from ten to 15 minutes previous.

"Our job is to keep people safe it didn't look to me like we were doing that.

"Suspension will be a consideration but the police are awaiting ombudsman recommendations."

Northern Ireland's Deputy First Minister Martin McGuinness tweeted that the video was "totally unacceptable".

He said it showed two police officers "failing to ensure the safety of an incapacitated woman on a public roadway".

Sinn Féin met the police on Wednesday to discuss the incident.

Bit in bold is all we need to know.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    blueblade wrote: »
    I don't think there's too many arguments against this being unacceptable behaviour by the Officers, and I'll run with what the Assistant Chief Constable and a politician subsequently said about the incident:-

Bit in bold is all we need to know.

I agree that she shouldn't have been left in the road. I disagree that she was vulnerable however.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    So you agree she should have been arrested for drunk&disorderly and obstruction?

Well yes I guess so, or arrested for her own safety.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    In hindsight she'd probably have been arrested if it wasn't for Monday being Saint Paddy's Day and police being outstretched with festivities in the city running alongside their normal patrolling.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    In hindsight she'd probably have been arrested if it wasn't for Monday being Saint Paddy's Day and police being outstretched with festivities in the city running alongside their normal patrolling.

Have you actually been in Derry on March 17th???