Options

Two shot dead in Muslim terror attack in America

onecitizenonecitizen Posts: 5,042
Forum Member
(Reuters) - Texas police shot dead two gunmen who opened fire on Sunday outside an exhibit of caricatures of the Prophet Mohammad that was organized by an anti-Islamic group and billed as a free-speech event.

The shooting in a Dallas suburb was an echo of past attacks or threats in other Western countries against art depicting the Prophet Mohammad. In January, gunmen killed 12 people in the Paris offices of French satirical magazine Charlie Hebdo in revenge for its cartoons.

http://www.reuters.com/article/2015/05/04/us-usa-shooting-texas-idUSKBN0NP01G20150504

Comments

• Options
    JasonJason Posts: 76,557
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Police said they had not immediately determined the identity of the two gunmen or whether they were linked to critics of the event who had branded it anti-Islamic

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8,916
    Forum Member
    This is what happens when you allow people to have free speech. There will always be others who are dead against it, luckily the attackers are the ones who are dead and nobody was hurt. I expect there will be a march to demonstrate against free speech down Whitehall again soon.

Still, when Labour make islamophobia a hate crime, we won't even be able to criticise attacks like this on a public forum, so make the most of it whilst you still can.
  • Options
    bluebladeblueblade Posts: 88,859
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    After Charlie Hebdo, security was always going to be razor sharp round such an event.
  • Options
    MC_SatanMC_Satan Posts: 26,512
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Your headline is a bit misleading in that it was the attackers who were shot dead.
  • Options
    ba_baracusba_baracus Posts: 3,236
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I will eat my hat if they weren't Islamic extremists.
  • Options
    CSJBCSJB Posts: 6,188
    Forum Member
    Two less dangerous nutters in the world :)
  • Options
    Another POVAnother POV Posts: 2,214
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Looks like the 'religion of peace' didn't get the change to practice what it preaches. Oh dear, how sad, never mind. Two less islamic nut jobs to worry about.
  • Options
    bluebladeblueblade Posts: 88,859
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Shortly before midnight police alerted media that a strong electronic pulse would be activated near the scene, presumably as part of the bomb squad's work, and a loud boom was heard moments later, though police did not comment further on what was done.

To clear booby trap and/or suicide explosives no doubt.
  • Options
    JasonJason Posts: 76,557
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ba_baracus wrote: »
    I will eat my hat if they weren't Islamic extremists.

Maybe, maybe not but this is the US where people get shot every single day and this type of shooting happens all too often.
  • Options
    AdsAds Posts: 37,062
    Forum Member
    It's likely the attackers we're Islamic extremists, but nothing has been confirmed yet. Gert Wilders was at the event, and be is certainly a target.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 68,508
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    "The AFDI issued a statement on Facebook after the shooting saying, "This is war on free speech. What are we going to do? Are we going to surrender to these monsters?"

That seems a very odd thing to post just after they had been shot dead. "What are we going to do?" What do you want to do? Bring them back to life so you can kill them again?
  • Options
    Keyser_Soze1Keyser_Soze1 Posts: 25,182
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Of course they will be Islamic extremists.

No one else gives a toss about depictions of a savage desert warlord who has been dead for about 1400 years.

But at least they are with all of those virgins now.
  • Options
    jzeejzee Posts: 25,498
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Apparently a pro-Al-Qaeda event was held in the same building, so the event was to make a point of sorts.
  • Options
    wear thefoxhatwear thefoxhat Posts: 3,753
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I wonder whether this art completion would have been allowed to have been held in the UK? Probably not, the police would have crushed the event so as not to upset our muslim 'friends', "cough, cough".
  • Options
    Keyser_Soze1Keyser_Soze1 Posts: 25,182
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I wonder whether this art completion would have been allowed to have been held in the UK? Probably not, the police would have crushed the event so as not to upset our muslim 'friends', "cough, cough".

https://encrypted-tbn3.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSa_6PRHqQxEmQrebXOyhNeNyfWHj_1b3pN76TKbx4ctc4jTHw0
  • Options
    grah2702grah2702 Posts: 787
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Two less of the islamic slime on the planet.
  • Options
    rickberickbe Posts: 613
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Quite likely. There would probably at the very least have been a big hullaballoo with Channel 4 News getting in on the act and asking the organizers and participants why they are holding an "anti-Islamic" event.

And almost certainly if Miliband gets in and forces everyone not to be "islamophobic". The PC level will be raised yet another few points.

At least they shot dead the two gunmen responsible. They don't mess around in Texas. We shoot to kill.
  • Options
    AliU2maniacAliU2maniac Posts: 1,874
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Armed security, private and official.Armed civilians who are able to defend themselves.

A twitter post from a jihadists praised the attack before it happened.IS partisans are in America.However, the jihadists picked the worst state to carry out a terrorist attack.Texans won't be defenceless when potential jihadists sneak across the border and threaten their freedoms

How long will it be before Obama issues a statement condemning this terrorist attack? Will he blame free speech, freedom to assemble & protest or the crusades?
  • Options
    donovan5donovan5 Posts: 1,023
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Would you want it to be?The sole purpose of the AFDI seems to be to whip up hatred.

That said they seem to be an American equivalent to the EDL and our police have been quite happy to let them march on several occasions.
  • Options
    Keiō LineKeiō Line Posts: 12,979
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    How long will it be before Obama issues a statement condemning this terrorist attack? Will he blame free speech, freedom to assemble & protest or the crusades?
    No but someone on here will probably say "....what you have to remember is with free speech comes responsibility". Which means, "I should be able to determine what you can say"
  • Options
    AdsAds Posts: 37,062
    Forum Member
    donovan5 wrote: »
    Would you want it to be?The sole purpose of the AFDI seems to be to whip up hatred.

That said they seem to be an American equivalent to the EDL and our police have been quite happy to let them march on several occasions.

Although I am rightly critical of Islam, I don't have time for the AFDI. They seem to take a very reactionary and bigoted approach, which is never going to resolve anything.

That said I support their right to freedom of speech and the event they were holding certainly wasn't breaking any laws.

As for those posters discussing whether this event would have been allowed in the UK, the answer is never in a million years! The police would have said its a threat to public safety, and there would have been a huge media campaign against it by the likes of Channel 4 News, the Guardian etc.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 68,508
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Ads wrote: »
    As for those posters discussing whether this event would have been allowed in the UK, the answer is never in a million years! The police would have said its a threat to public safety, and there would have been a huge media campaign against it by the likes of Channel 4 News, the Guardian etc.

It WOULD have been a threat to public safety. On this occasion, everyone can skip lightly away feeling pleased, because the only people killed were people intending, apparently, to kill. But in general, it is innocent, uninvolved people who get killed at such things. I think it is quite right that the police and security services take public safety into account. No one really NEEDS to hold a public event whose SOLE purpose is to try and inflame Muslims. I would be properly pissed off if I was, say, a cleaner in that building.
  • Options
    boddismboddism Posts: 16,436
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    CSJB wrote: »
    Two less dangerous nutters in the world :)

This. It seems that they re trying to deliberately trying to bring terrorists out into the open now.
    I have slightly mixed feelings about this-I know that pictorial depictions of the Prophet Mohammed are not allowed in the Muslim religion, so to an extent exhibitions like that are deliberately provocative.
    However-I expect most normal Muslims would just ignore it (having better things to do with their lives than get het up by it) but it would incite the more strict/extreme element in the religion.
  • Options
    BigAndy99BigAndy99 Posts: 3,277
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Quote:
    Police said they had not immediately determined the identity of the two gunmen or whether they were linked to critics of the event who had branded it anti-Islamic.

Not critics, probably supporters delivering a gift. :D
  • Options
    boddismboddism Posts: 16,436
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It WOULD have been a threat to public safety. On this occasion, everyone can skip lightly away feeling pleased, because the only people killed were people intending, apparently, to kill. But in general, it is innocent, uninvolved people who get killed at such things. I think it is quite right that the police and security services take public safety into account. No one really NEEDS to hold a public event whose SOLE purpose is to try and inflame Muslims. I would be properly pissed off if I was, say, a cleaner in that building.

Yes-this is,quite deliberately, putting people at risk.
    I believe in freedom of speech but there's also a safety factor to consider
This discussion has been closed.