Cat weeing outside of box

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 14,284
Forum Member
✭✭
Does anyone have any advice on why my cat keeps doing the toilet outside the box?

One of my 8 month old cats has been peeing and pooing outside the catbox. I caught her peeing on the mat under the box, she peed on the doormat outside the back door and she pooed right outside the bathroom door, where her box is located. She's been scratching at the floor as a cat would do if she were in the litter box. The other cat uses the box just fine. I keep the box nice and clean, but I did start using wood litter. She never seemed to have accidents when I used Catsan.

My kitchen reeks of cat pee because bathroom is at the back of the house. I am really annoyed and I don't know what to do. Any advice is helpful.

Comments

• LippincoteLippincote Posts: 7,132
    Forum Member
    I think you've answered your own question - she doesn't like the litter. It isn't an 'accident', she's just letting you know her opinion of the wood litter. A lot of cats don't like it, my own cats don't. It is quite hard on their feet and a lot of cats prefer finer granules like Catsan.

So there's your remedy, return to Catsan.

I found Catsan very wasteful but they also do a clumping variety now I think? If you want an alternative, I use World's Best Litter, which is really good, very fine grain and good odour control. Available online from mpm products.

If that doesn't work, it could be she doesn't like sharing the tray. Cats often like their own litter tray, so providing two should do the trick.

You also need to clean up the wee properly. Diluted biological washing powder followed by a spray of surgical spirit, will kill the stench both from your point of view and the cat's.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,224
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm interested in hearing advice on this too!! My cat keeps pooping outside the box aswell, teeters on the edge of the litter tray looking at me as if to say " ... and what??" - he is a grumpy sod!
  • OwleyOwley Posts: 53
    Forum Member
    My girl usually is quite good when it comes to using her litter tray. However, if ever any type of fabric finds its way onto the kitchen floor (socks falling off the clothes horse, the oven gloves dangling down to the floor etc), that item will instantly be perched on and weed on!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 14,284
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Lippincote wrote: »
    I think you've answered your own question - she doesn't like the litter. It isn't an 'accident', she's just letting you know her opinion of the wood litter. A lot of cats don't like it, my own cats don't. It is quite hard on their feet and a lot of cats prefer finer granules like Catsan.

So there's your remedy, return to Catsan.

I found Catsan very wasteful but they also do a clumping variety now I think? If you want an alternative, I use World's Best Litter, which is really good, very fine grain and good odour control. Available online from mpm products.

If that doesn't work, it could be she doesn't like sharing the tray. Cats often like their own litter tray, so providing two should do the trick.

You also need to clean up the wee properly. Diluted biological washing powder followed by a spray of surgical spirit, will kill the stench both from your point of view and the cat's.

Thanks so much for that, I will switch back to Catsan today. I thought, well, the other cat is fine, so she should be too, but they are two different personalities. She's been fine with sharing the tray up to now, but I do have a spare tray in the shed. The one they use now is covered with filters and stuff, and the other was just a standard tray.

I'd been cleaning up the wee with bathroom cleaner, but I use your method.
  • LippincoteLippincote Posts: 7,132
    Forum Member
    You're welcome, hope it works out. As you say, cats are all different and have their foibles:)

Just to mention, although they have been happy sharing a tray, now that they are getting older they may be less so. My adult Burmese are fine sharing a tray, just depends on the cats. But if there are problems in future, I'd try adding a separate tray.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 276
    Forum Member
    mummymaz wrote: »
    I'm interested in hearing advice on this too!! My cat keeps pooping outside the box aswell, teeters on the edge of the litter tray looking at me as if to say " ... and what??" - he is a grumpy sod!

My old cat used to miss the tray too. She would back up and overhang so I bought a large covered tray and that was great. I made sure it had a high seal as she decided that if the tray was covered she didnt need to squat but that way it didnt leak