Options

Broadcasters not mentioning other broadcasters

The Great 208The Great 208 Posts: 1,008
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Why is it that we have a situation in this country where broadcasters almost go out of their way not to mention the availability of sporting events being shown on rival channels, even when they are sharing the rights? American channels do this as a matter of course.

Watching the NFL last night, which was a Fox broadcast, the commentator ran through the forthcoming games - Sunday Night Football on NBC, Monday Night Football on ESPN and the Thursday night game on NFL Network all clearly referencing which channels they were on.

In this country we get things like Sky saying that you should watch highlights of the England v Slovenia game at 10pm on Sky Sports 5 and the BBC saying 'and you can listen to the Scotland v England game live on Radio 5live'. Why don't they just be honest and say the game is LIVE ON ITV??

Sky Sports News did do a bit of ESPN promotion before ESPN was owned by BT as they had a vested interest in ESPN gaining subs - but not any more.

Maybe it is a little different as Fox will be showing regular programming up against their rivals NFL coverage but it all seems a bit childish to me.

Comments

• Options
    fmradiotuner1fmradiotuner1 Posts: 20,500
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I find BBC1 and ITV often mention each others shows here
  • Options
    mike65mike65 Posts: 11,386
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    If its not on Sky it doesn't exist.

Yes it is amusing to hear 5live refuse to mention the game is on television but they'll probably say they have to maximise their market. not send people to the competition even though we all know the game is on ITV.
  • Options
    AmbassadorAmbassador Posts: 22,333
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I find my local BBC pretty bad for this ( mainly Radio Newcastle)

They have a nightly football/sports phone in and only ever mention the BBC covered sports, completely bypassing anything on ITV, Sky or BT. They only ever just say 'its on TV' unless its on the BBC

They do it with non sports programming too. Saying that most information stuff on BBC Newcastle Radio is just an extended trailer for their news bulletin or Inside Out programming
  • Options
    ftvftv Posts: 31,668
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I would have said the BBC was more than generous plugging ITV on programmes like The One Show and Breakfast not to mention BBC radio. How often do you see The Sun plugging the Daily Mirror or The Times suggesting you read the Telegraph ? ITV have shot themselves in the foot recently with their trailer for GMB which suggests you try a different breakfast programme:o
  • Options
    ktla5ktla5 Posts: 1,683
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    mike65 wrote: »
    If its not on Sky it doesn't exist.

Yes it is amusing to hear 5live refuse to mention the game is on television but they'll probably say they have to maximise their market. not send people to the competition even though we all know the game is on ITV.

shows like the one show and breakfast etc may interview people from rival channels, and show a clip etc, but as for the BBC saying F1 live today on Sky, no they don't neither do ITV say a footy match is live on BBC1, so it's not just Sky who think no other channels exist !:D
  • Options
    CaxtonCaxton Posts: 28,881
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    In a similar way I expect that Sainsbury does not mention that items they sell are available at Tesco and Aldi do not advertise that Lidl sell the same produce they do.
  • Options
    MaxatoriaMaxatoria Posts: 17,980
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    would the BBC mentioning somethings available via a different company be technically advertising and thus against the rules, the BBC always give credit for recorded stuff (sort of like referencing in academic works) but i've never seen then promote other companies stuff
  • Options
    AmbassadorAmbassador Posts: 22,333
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Caxton wrote: »
    In a similar way I expect that Sainsbury does not mention that items they sell are available at Tesco and Aldi do not advertise that Lidl sell the same produce they do.

But they do, they go out of their way to tell you they are cheaper :D

In terms of football, I don't see the issue with why the BBC can't say a match people will be debating on say, 606, is on Sky Sports, BT or ITV....
  • Options
    Ginger DaddyGinger Daddy Posts: 8,507
    Forum Member

Watching the NFL last night, which was a Fox broadcast, the commentator ran through the forthcoming games - Sunday Night Football on NBC, Monday Night Football on ESPN and the Thursday night game on NFL Network all clearly referencing which channels they were on.

I have noticed that as well. I would guess its a contract stipulation though. The NFL will want their product promoted.
  • Options
    davelovesleedsdavelovesleeds Posts: 22,642
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    During the World Cup last year the sports presenter on BBC Radio 4's Today programme said of that evening's England game "you can listen to commentary of the game on BBC Radio 5 Live.. or you can watch it on ITV". He was then gently ribbed by the other presenters.
  • Options
    mooxmoox Posts: 18,880
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Maxatoria wrote: »
    would the BBC mentioning somethings available via a different company be technically advertising and thus against the rules, the BBC always give credit for recorded stuff (sort of like referencing in academic works) but i've never seen then promote other companies stuff

You could argue that their constant promotion and advertising for Twitter gives that company tons of free advertising thanks to the licence fee payer
  • Options
    Steve9214Steve9214 Posts: 8,406
    Forum Member
    IIRC everything was peachy until Richard and Judy, then Paul O'Grady moved to Channel 4.
    From that point all ITV soap stars were banned from any other channel.

There is still a ban on Corrie and Emmerdale actors doing Strictly - but to me that is just logical, as they have a heavy enough schedule without schlepping to London to train for 5 days a week.
    You cannot expect an ITV soap to alter storylines to allow an actor time off to do Strictly on the BBC
  • Options
    CharnhamCharnham Posts: 61,396
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I suspet Fox was not doing that for its health, it was doing that becuase the contract with the NFL demanded it.

When I did watch baseball on Channel 5 (normally from ESPN) I dont recall them mentioning the other channels at any point, certainly they mentioned other games and other sports on ESPN, but not much else.
  • Options
    eljmayeseljmayes Posts: 1,096
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Usually the BBC mention who is broadcasting an event if they don't have the rights but only on their website.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Do we seriously expect the BBC to be promoting programmes on ITV or Sky ? It's pretty easy to find which channel a particular event is on in any case.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Charnham wrote: »
    I suspet Fox was not doing that for its health, it was doing that becuase the contract with the NFL demanded it.

When I did watch baseball on Channel 5 (normally from ESPN) I dont recall them mentioning the other channels at any point, certainly they mentioned other games and other sports on ESPN, but not much else.

I have seen it on baseball coverage in the past.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ftv wrote: »
    Do we seriously expect the BBC to be promoting programmes on ITV or Sky ? It's pretty easy to find which channel a particular event is on in any case.

Yes. You have correctly understood this thread.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Caxton wrote: »

A different thing altogether. I would not expect sky to tell you that the England game tomorrow is also live on ITV, stv and Utv or vice versa as these are directly competing for the same audience for the same programme.
  • Options
    carl.waringcarl.waring Posts: 35,720
    Forum Member
    Maxatoria wrote: »
    No because there's a big difference between simply mentioning something in an editorial/review kind of way and an actual advertisement for that product.
    moox wrote: »
    You could argue that their constant promotion and advertising for Twitter gives that company tons of free advertising thanks to the licence fee payer
    You could but you'd look stupid if you did because, as per my comment above, it's not really advertising at all :)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 347
    Forum Member
    It's a simple answer - if the BBC tell people a match is on Sky, it's no different than the BBC promoting any other programme on Sky. The BBC won't want to encourage anybody to watch a channel or listen to a radio station that isn't there's. It'll boost the competition's ratings and it could jeopardise whatever they're airing at that time.
  • Options
    DDRickyDDDDRickyDD Posts: 5,252
    Forum Member
    Geoff Stelling is the one presener on Sky Sports that isn't scared to mention TV programmes from other channels.

I can remember him mentioning the BBC's budget, Coronation Street and the X-Factor in his time on Soccer Saturday.
  • Options
    CharnhamCharnham Posts: 61,396
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I have seen it on baseball coverage in the past.
    I agree some mentions are made around post season, and all star game, but not normally during the season.
  • Options
    Marti SMarti S Posts: 5,794
    Forum Member
    I remember many years ago both the BBC and ITV used to mention the other channel if they were showing something they werent but seems a thing of the past.
  • Options
    bamberbamber Posts: 1,763
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    the NBA have been doing it for years.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    On the 50th anniversary of Coronation Street in 2010 it was mentioned on EE and Dot Cotton said she had been watching it