Options

Would you call up Arteta for England?

Cantona07Cantona07 Posts: 56,910
Forum Member
As the title really.

Would you (assuming you are English, although generally speaking too) be happy to have a player like Arteta pull on your national shirt with no direct links to the country.

Is it a case of "everyone else is doing it so why not?", or does it devalue any success you may have with him in the squad?

Arteta is just the current example, the question applies generally too.

Comments

• Options
    bhoy07bhoy07 Posts: 25,036
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Cantona07 wrote: »
    As the title really.

Would you (assuming you are English, although generally speaking too) be happy to have a player like Arteta pull on your national shirt with no direct links to the country.

Is it a case of "everyone else is doing it so why not?", or does it devalue any success you may have with him in the squad?

Arteta is just the current example, the question applies generally too.

I'd say no but unfortunately he is a player we could with being English.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    bhoy07 wrote: »
    I'd say no but unfortunately he is a player we could with being English.

(im not being arsey, but i saw this with Almunia 2 years ago)

Would you change your opinion based on wanting/needing one particular player for a position?
  • Options
    Red OkktoberRed Okktober Posts: 10,434
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    He's Spanish

International football has become a joke as to who represents who
  • Options
    pmw_hewittpmw_hewitt Posts: 1,193
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It won't happen anyway, this is the fourth time in about two years that this argument has come up, but with Mikel Arteta instead of Charles N'Zogbia, Manuel Almunia or Nacho Novo (for Scotland).

The media have a habit of bringing this up, causing days of intense debate before saying "Oh, well the British nations have an age-old gentleman's agreement never to call up non-Britons anyway".
  • Options
    Forum Member
    pmw_hewitt wrote: »
    It won't happen anyway, this is the fourth time in about two years that this argument has come up, but with Mikel Arteta instead of Charles N'Zogbia, Manuel Almunia or Nacho Novo (for Scotland).

The media have a habit of bringing this up, causing days of intense debate before saying "Oh, well the British nations have an age-old gentleman's agreement never to call up non-Britons anyway".

Yes i know that. However that doesnt lend itself to a discussion and given the nature and purpose of the forum i was just trying to get people to talk about the idea of it.
  • Options
    pmw_hewittpmw_hewitt Posts: 1,193
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes i know that. However that doesnt lend itself to a discussion and given the nature and purpose of the forum i was just trying to get people to talk about the idea of it.

I wasn't trying to be awkward, so apologies if it came across like that.

Personally, I don't really see an issue with it. If he is granted British citizenship then he is just as British as I am, and has just as much right to represent a British nation (or Britain as a whole in other sports) as I do.

National teams like Ireland, Wales, Singapore, Nigeria, Jamaica and Switzerland have benefitted from it for a while, so it don't see the problem in England or Scotland doing the same.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    You may as well ask if a person would enter a cat at the crufts dog show. What kind of reaction are you expecting from your opening post?
  • Options
    Forum Member

Personally, I don't really see an issue with it. If he is granted British citizenship then he is just as British as I am, and has just as much right to represent a British nation (or Britain as a whole in other sports) as I do.

National teams like Ireland, Wales, Singapore, Nigeria, Jamaica and Switzerland have benefitted from it for a while, so it don't see the problem in England or Scotland doing the same.

Sorry, i didnt mean to be arsey. Apology back at ya.

I just dont think its right (im scottish, i have no valid opinion i guess).

I have no issue with a person coming to the UK and adopting the country and THEN becoming a footballer but this just feels like flying under a flag of convenience.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    You may as well ask if a person would enter a cat at the crufts dog show. What kind of reaction are you expecting from your opening post?

As opposed to "its not going to happen with Arteta" i was looking for a discussion about the broader topic using Arteta as a current example.

Cats arent allowed in dog shows, that was a shit comparsion BTW.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Cats arent allowed in dog shows, that was a shit comparsion BTW.
    No less a shit comparison than suggesting a spaniard playing football for england, in fact less so, as the onus is on you for bringing such an oblique subject up :)
  • Options
    Tel69Tel69 Posts: 27,008
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    He's Spanish

International football has become a joke as to who represents who

As I'm all in favour of the dumbing down of International Football I would be in favour of this. It is ridiculous of course but anything that undermines the credibility is a good thing imho.
  • Options
    MalbrenMalbren Posts: 3,308
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No less a shit comparison than suggesting a spaniard playing football for england, in fact less so, as the onus is on you for bringing such an oblique subject up :)

:D

And No is the answer to the OP's question.
  • Options
    bhoy07bhoy07 Posts: 25,036
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    (im not being arsey, but i saw this with Almunia 2 years ago)

Would you change your opinion based on wanting/needing one particular player for a position?

Although it shows the sad state of english football that Arteta is probably a type of player we don't have I still wouldn't want a player with no blood line to England in the team.

Otherwise we'd just end up as a team full of players not good enough for their own country.

I'm happy enough will the current rules as they are, including the newer ones brought in for the likes of Islam Feruz.
  • Options
    chemical2009bchemical2009b Posts: 5,250
    Forum Member
    I would limit international eligibilty to two generations up, nothing else.
  • Options
    Forum Member

Which would be true if it was.

I know you are smart enough to know what i mean and the purpose of the thread.

If i have to break it down to make you happy i will.

"Does the qualification for a passport after 5 years give you the right to change the country you play football for?"

"Should a player be allowed to change nationality purely to allow him to play international football when he has no links to the country in question?"
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Which would be true if it was.

I know you are smart enough to know what i mean and the purpose of the thread.

If i have to break it down to make you happy i will.

"Does the qualification for a passport after 5 years give you the right to change the country you play football for?"

"Should a player be allowed to change nationality purely to allow him to play international football when he has no links to the country in question?"
    Spaniards should only play for Spain, Poles should only play for Poland and Englishmen should only play for England. It's a no-brainer. You should no more be able to change nationalities as you can your age.

Failure to adhere to this is why international football has no credibility and is a lost cause - the spirit has gone and is the reason why I want to see inter-league tournaments where it's impossible to cheat as to who represents who - replace international football
  • Options
    Davey84Davey84 Posts: 5,296
    Forum Member
    yes, if he's good enough then why not?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Spaniards should only play for Spain, Poles should only play for Poland and Englishmen should only play for England. It's a no-brainer. You should no more be able to change nationalities as you can your age.

Failure to adhere to this is why international football has no credibility and is a lost cause - the spirit has gone and is the reason why I want to see inter-league tournaments where it's impossible to cheat as to who represents who - replace international football

The problem is that the law says otherwise. How do you get round that?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Davey84 wrote: »
    yes, if he's good enough then why not?

The point is that it shouldnt be based on whether he is good enough, it should be based on whether he even vaugley qualifies or is acceptable.
  • Options
    wsmansemwsmansem Posts: 1,977
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Cough ... Germany ....

Actually one of the many 'good' things about Spain is that they had 23 Spanish players in the squad as opposed to some of the others who were just taking the p*ss tbh.

I would have in a heartbeat - virtually everyone else is at it so why not us ???

Seems like around 70% of teams have a Brazilian in their squad anyhow .
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 33
    Forum Member
    Isn't it an unwritten rule between nations that things like this wont happen. I am sure I heard something similar said when Novo wanted to play for Scotland
  • Options
    kingjeremykingjeremy Posts: 9,077
    Forum Member
    Not for me personally.
  • Options
    kingjeremykingjeremy Posts: 9,077
    Forum Member
    post not showing, stupid DS pft
  • Options
    Forum Member
    wsmansem wrote: »
    Seems like around 70% of teams have a Brazilian in their squad anyhow .

Did you do a survey for those stats?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The problem is that the law says otherwise. How do you get round that?
    How I get around it is not to have much interest in 'international' football and not to give a monkeys about what the law says. I prefer to spend my time following my club. It's quite refreshing you know to take an interest in something real