EPG update is changing my TV channel!

2»

Comments

• AVTECHAVTECH Posts: 1,399
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    must disagree with it being an STV issue.
    Some have it working constantly, others lose it sometimes then have it restored at the same time as others lose it .
    See Skyvanmans posts, he has 4 boxes, boxes 1&2 lost it then when it came back on those 2, boxes 3&4 lost it.
    If it was an STV issue it would be all or nobody.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    CTD101 wrote: »
    Could be worth seeing if there is a firmware update available for your tv. If nothing else but to rule that out.

Good suggestion, so I ran an upgrade search but nothing new available.
  • DoddieDoddie Posts: 1,049
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    AVTECH wrote: »
    If it was an STV issue it would be all or nobody.
    I don't doubt your logic, but i've pretty much given up on STV as a channel completely, if i ever want to watch/record anything i can pretty much get it from ITV2HD, albeit it might be delayed by an hour or so.

Nothing STV does or says would come as a surprise to me any more.

I wouldn't even be surpirsed that sky got so fed up of complaints from Scottish customers demanding to know why STVHD isn't on the EPG that they removed the FEC setting from the software just to spite them!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Doddie wrote: »
    I but i've pretty much given up on STV as a channel completely,

Totally agree with you on that but the wife wants to watch "I'm a celeb" in glorious HD. So last night it was on STV HD but that has disappeared again tonight so it was ITV HD (London) for her.

Now have a good feeling about the HDMI situation, not one incident since my "mad hour" earlier today. Fingers crossed.
    i haven't seen this behaviour with my Murphy TV on any of the Samsung beta releases that Sky uploaded to my Samsung box, and i haven't seen it on the DRX890 they later installed.

As well as my set up I bought my son one of these sets when he moved through to Edinburgh, so he has the same Murphy set and sky box with no such problems.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Now have a good feeling about the HDMI situation, not one incident since my "mad hour" earlier today. Fingers crossed.
    Just curious if your TV is still behaving?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It behaved for the rest of last night ,no "Jump outs" (as we are calling them) at all...... but this morning while watching breakfast TV it jumped twice then when I got home at 5:30 it jumped again a few times.

Now I am reckoning that I have been on the wrong track all along ....So NEW THEORY......Not the sky box at all...

Last weekend we put up a new big mirror on the opposite wall to the TV .... is the light from our ceiling light (3 incandescent bulbs) being refracted by the bevelled edge of this mirror to produce the exact wavelength to change the TV to channel 2 ?

Evidence :-
    1) always goes to channel 2
    2) last night when we put off ceiling light and used standard lamp uplighters...... NO JUMP OUTS
    3) this morning using ceiling light .....JUMP OUTS
    4) First arrived home using ceiling lights .... JUMP OUTS
    5) One jump out tonight went to channel 22 (it received the "2" signal twice ? people walking in front of the mirror ?)
    6) Another jump out tonight went to channel 2 then tried to go to channel 2 again (getting signal twice again ?)
    7) put off ceiling light and used uplighters tonight ... NO JUMP OUTS

So I will continue to monitor this situation, if it shows as being the real problem, I can live with this, I will just move the angle of the TV a few degrees.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Fascinating, wouldn't it be easier to just take down the new mirror for a few days... if the issue doesn't then re-surface over the weekend then put the mirror back up and if it re-surfaces you can pretty much be sure what's causing it.

At which point you can get onto Sky complaining that something in the software has changed because a mirror in a living room shouldn't be relevant to how a box works.

As i said, fascinating.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Not affecting sky box, its affecting the Murphy.

I will let you tell my wife that her new pride and joy (so big it was a two man lift to get it into position) specially picked to suit the new wallpaper will have to come down off the wall:D
    Easier to move the TV a few degrees BELIEVE ME !!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I will let you tell my wife that her new pride and joy (so big it was a two man lift to get it into position) specially picked to suit the new wallpaper will have to come down off the wall:D
    Easier to move the TV a few degrees BELIEVE ME !!
    ROFL, no comment!
  • CaxtonCaxton Posts: 28,881
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I thought the Murphy TV name had died out years ago, but I see by Googling it that Cello are now producing TVs under that brand name. I wonder how long it will be before we see names like Cossor, Decca, Sobel, Ekco, Stella, HMV, McMichael, Kolster-Brandes, on the market again from the Cello or the Vestel stable
  • simon194simon194 Posts: 1,888
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Batch wrote: »
    Well it is possible that they (Sky) changed something in their HDMI protocol software that is showing an 'incompatibility' that wasn't previously there in the old system. That's the bit I'm not sure how to resolve...

TBH it's unlikely because the HDMI protocol (handshaking/validation etc) is controlled by the firmware in the HDMI chipset. The only interaction between the middleware and the HDMI chipset is via the chipset's API which could be where the issue lies.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Caxton wrote: »
    I thought the Murphy TV name had died out years ago, but I see by Googling it that Cello are now producing TVs under that brand name. I wonder how long it will be before we see names like Cossor, Decca, Sobel, Ekco, Stella, HMV, McMichael, Kolster-Brandes, on the market again from the Cello or the Vestel stable

Yes the Murphy name has been resurrected by Cello for sets they are marketing using LG screens at VERY good prices
  • Marti SMarti S Posts: 5,788
    Forum Member
    Try a different type of bulb in the ceiling lamp if it turns out this is the cause
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Try a different type of bulb in the ceiling lamp if it turns out this is the cause
    Iv'e just shifted the angle of the TV slightly and the problem seems to have gone.