Options

Rafa Benitez - Are Chelsea Fans Right?

Cantona07Cantona07 Posts: 56,910
Forum Member
First of all I'm not a Chelsea fan and i think Benitez is over-rated so we can get that out of the way straight away, but this isn't an anti-Rafa or anti-Chelsea thread I'm looking in broader terms than that.

There seems a lot of shock in the media about the reception that Benitez got from the Chelsea fans yesterday but I'm not really sure whats wrong.

The Chelsea fans REALLY don't want Benitez for what seem to be fair enough reasons so why shouldn't they make their feelings clear? It might not be great for team spirit but if thats how they feel they should be free to voice the opinion.

If your club appointed someone you really really objected to would you suck it up or would you react in a similar way?

Comments

• Options
    Robbedin73Robbedin73 Posts: 7,859
    Forum Member
    Cantona07 wrote: »
    First of all I'm not a Chelsea fan and i think Benitez is over-rated so we can get that out of the way straight away, but this isn't an anti-Rafa or anti-Chelsea thread I'm looking in broader terms than that.

There seems a lot of shock in the media about the reception that Benitez got from the Chelsea fans yesterday but I'm not really sure whats wrong.

The Chelsea fans REALLY don't want Benitez for what seem to be fair enough reasons so why shouldn't they make their feelings clear? It might not be great for team spirit but if thats how they feel they should be free to voice the opinion.

If your club appointed someone you really really objected to would you suck it up or would you react in a similar way?

Any one who wins the cl in his first season over here cant be that bad , and who broke the Barca/real hold on lla liga , i lost count the number of times that our fans have said if we resigned Alan Smith , he be booed every game, because he went to Mu , cant be bothered going through all the stuff but i very much doubt too many would be booing if he scored in his first game somehow
  • Options
    kingjeremykingjeremy Posts: 9,077
    Forum Member
    If he rolled up at Old Trafford I would be hugely disappointed if every fan didn't react in the same manner as the Chelsea fans.
  • Options
    codebluecodeblue Posts: 14,072
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    “Chelsea is a big club with fantastic players, every manager wants to coach such a big team. But I would never take that job, in respect for my former team at Liverpool, no matter what. For me there is only one club in England, and that’s Liverpool.” (2007)

“If Chelsea are naive and pure then I’m Little Red Riding Hood.” (2007)

“We don’t need to give away flags for our fans to wave – our supporters are always there with their hearts, and that is all we need. It’s the passion of the fans that helps to win matches – not flags.” (in regards to the 2007 Chelsea V Liverpool Champions League semi-finals. The quote has since been placed on a plaque at Liverpool’s training ground)

“I’m sure Chelsea do not like playing Liverpool. When they are talking and talking and talking before the game it means they are worried. Maybe they’re afraid?” (on the same tie)

“We were good friends until Liverpool started winning, then he started changing his mind.” (Talking about Chelsea favourite Jose Mourinho)

“After the game, Sheila, who was sitting right in line in the main stand, said to me that the ball had crossed the line. She is a very honest person and that was good enough for me. It was a goal.” (on whether Luis Garcia’s so-called ‘ghost goal’ had crossed the line in the 2005 Champions League semi-final, it didn’t)

“To me, Arsenal played much better football two or three years ago. They won matches and were exciting to watch. Barcelona and Milan too. They create excitement so how can you say Chelsea are the best in the world?” (after Chelsea’s first Premier League title win in 2005)
  • Options
    Apple_CrumbleApple_Crumble Posts: 21,748
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Different stick, same s**t. It will all end in tears.

If Chelsea fans don't like the guy then they are entitled to show their anger, though Abramovich won't give a toss about what anyone else thinks.
  • Options
    shelleyj89shelleyj89 Posts: 16,292
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I can understand not being happy with his appointment, but to boo the guy like they did and have banners wanting him out before the team had even kicked a ball in a competitive match under his manager was out of order, IMO.
  • Options
    skimminstonesskimminstones Posts: 8,403
    Forum Member
    kingjeremy wrote: »
    If he rolled up at Old Trafford I would be hugely disappointed if every fan didn't react in the same manner as the Chelsea fans.

same for me, if rafa or dalglish were uniteds manager id expect everyone to be booing them until he left the club.

And id expect the exact same reaction from liverpool fans if ferguson suddenly went to anfield.

There are just certain people, and not just in football, that you dont want anything to do with no matter what their record is or what they may have achieved in the past. For chelsea rafa is that person. Think its shown roman greatly misunderstands the feeling of a football fan when he made the appointment.
  • Options
    simonl87simonl87 Posts: 587
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Chelsea fans are muppets. They arent a massive club yet a manager with a European cup and a la liga title isn't good enough for them. Considering they are offering a 7 month contract they should be happy they have someone with benitez's experience and so what if he said things in the past. He was managing a rival club.
  • Options
    zielerzieler Posts: 8,038
    Forum Member
    Robbedin73 wrote: »
    Any one who wins the cl in his first season over here cant be that bad , and who broke the Barca/real hold on lla liga , i lost count the number of times that our fans have said if we resigned Alan Smith , he be booed every game, because he went to Mu , cant be bothered going through all the stuff but i very much doubt too many would be booing if he scored in his first game somehow

He really didn't. As I have posted elsewhere, la liga saw 5 different winners in 10 years and two years before Valencia won it, Deportivo were the champions.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Its probably the only manager that CFC would do this to. (aside from Fergie/ Dalglish etc)

I remember only too well what Rafa was like to the club and the fans of chelsea

"For me there is only one club in England, and that’s Liverpool"

Err,....... not for me rafa, sorry.

However, i do hope that it was just a 1 off and now the fans can get behond the team (if not the manager).
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    simonl87 wrote: »
    Chelsea fans are muppets. They arent a massive club yet a manager with a European cup and a la liga title isn't good enough for them. Considering they are offering a 7 month contract they should be happy they have someone with benitez's experience and so what if he said things in the past. He was managing a rival club.

no, not a massive club

:rolleyes:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    zieler wrote: »
    He really didn't. As I have posted elsewhere, la liga saw 5 different winners in 10 years and two years before Valencia won it, Deportivo were the champions.

He also inherited a good side (Canizares, Ayala, Baraja, Albelda, Vicente, Aimar, etc) from Hector Cuper, who took them to back-to-back European Cup finals, before Benitez arrived at the club.
  • Options
    PictoPicto Posts: 24,270
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I am surprised Rafa took the Chelsea job in the first place.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    TalkS***T using my argument about Liverpool employing Gary Neville.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Picto wrote: »

I assume he is getting a good wage? So, £££.
  • Options
    batdude_uk1batdude_uk1 Posts: 78,722
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I guess it would be more similar to if United appointed Kenny Dalglish, I would certainly not be happy to see him.in our dug out replacing someone who I thinknis a legend at my club.

So I fully understand and agree with the Chelsea fans stance, just because your club appoints someone to be your manager, that doesn't automatically mean that you should be happy with it.
  • Options
    PictoPicto Posts: 24,270
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    codeblue wrote: »
    TalkS***T using my argument about Liverpool employing Gary Neville.

I really didn't like Gary Neville during his playing days and I wasn't happy when Sky decided to employ him. However, it turns out that he's a really good pundit, probably one of the best around at the moment.
  • Options
    SlowRapSlowRap Posts: 1,928
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What are they right about exactly? If he wins them the league and the CL will they still be right? Rafa is a great manager and like Mancini said "win, win, win, win, win, win, win" and you'll win over the fans.

All the frankly idiots who hold the "Rafa Out" signs before a ball is kicked must realise that they don't control the club, it's Roman's club and he decided what he does when he wants. By all means hold "Roman Out" signs and see how far you fall without his rubles.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 11,829
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It's interesting that Man Utd fans are so keen on criticising Rafa and praising the stance of the Chelsea fans whilst many , including the OP would love to see former Chelsea boss Mourinho take over when Ferguson retires.
    If some of their fans boo Mourinho will they be so quick to support them or will they 'jump the fence' ?

Personally I feel any manager should be given a chance, no matter their previous employment - as long as they do the job in the proper manner once they arrive then whatever happened in the past should stay in the past
  • Options
    skimminstonesskimminstones Posts: 8,403
    Forum Member
    Dangerman wrote: »
    It's interesting that Man Utd fans are so keen on criticising Rafa and praising the stance of the Chelsea fans whilst many , including the OP would love to see former Chelsea boss Mourinho take over when Ferguson retires.
    If some of their fans boo Mourinho will they be so quick to support them or will they 'jump the fence' ?

who has praised them? Ive seen a few say they understand where they are coming from, thats all.

And mourinho even in his most combative mode still had respect
  • Options
    MaxatoriaMaxatoria Posts: 17,980
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Roman wanted a change and there are probably very few top level managers who would take a 6 month contract especially when you have an owner who does all the buying and selling themselves and meddles in team affairs so really all Rafa has to do is keep telling the players not to say/report anything racist if possible and just give some scripted clap trap to the cameras while collecting a few million in money then he'll be back in spain just in time to give the tables a quick polish before going back to the tables at the restaurant
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Dangerman wrote: »

Personally I feel any manager should be given a chance, no matter their previous employment - as long as they do the job in the proper manner once they arrive then whatever happened in the past should stay in the past

The question i asked was if a manager came in that you totally objected to would you feel within your rights to boo that manager and thus voice your objection to the appointment?

I am surprised that people are surprised that Chelsea fans booed Benitez hence asking the general question.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    SlowRap wrote: »
    What are they right about exactly? If he wins them the league and the CL will they still be right? Rafa is a great manager and like Mancini said "win, win, win, win, win, win, win" and you'll win over the fans.

All the frankly idiots who hold the "Rafa Out" signs before a ball is kicked must realise that they don't control the club, it's Roman's club and he decided what he does when he wants. By all means hold "Roman Out" signs and see how far you fall without his rubles.

If they don't want Benitez at the club it has nothing to do with whether or not he goes on to be a success or not. They are objection to the appointment in the first place, not commenting on his managerial ability per se.
  • Options
    TheMunchTheMunch Posts: 9,024
    Forum Member
    Cantona07 wrote: »

Rafa's not that rated outside of LFC and maybe Valencia so I don't see how he's overrated. How is he overrated? Maybe you mean you think he's overrated by Liverpool fans which is a fairer argument.
  • Options
    taurus_67taurus_67 Posts: 6,954
    Forum Member
    Picto wrote: »

Because there are still enough good players in that team to win a trophy; and if they do win something it makes him look good and gives a public reminder to other clubs he's a winner: I think he may have half an eye on the City job becoming available.

The strangest thing is, he doesn't play the style of football RA is supposedly desperate for: so come the summer he'll be out, no matter what he wins.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    TheMunch wrote: »
    Rafa's not that rated outside of LFC and maybe Valencia so I don't see how he's overrated. How is he overrated? Maybe you mean you think he's overrated by Liverpool fans which is a fairer argument.

OK, fair enough, i think he is overrated by Liverpool fans.