Player Of The Year?

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,113
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Suarez for me - still highly effective as a lone striker, Bale a close second but he prospers from playing with a better team.
  • HaydenHayden Posts: 32,949
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Not disparaging Michu at all as he is the bargain signing of the season but he has only scored in 1 of Swansea's last 11 league games, so there is no doubt he has gone off the boil somewhat.

This bit is painful but for me but it has to be RVP with little between Bale and Suarez for second place
    Bale has almost sinmgle-handedly dragged Spurs up to within touching distance of second while despite Suarez's performances Liverpool have never got near the Top 5- so Bale has made more difference to his team and shades it.

Van Persie though is some way clear out at the front- can't see how you can look beyond him TBH.
  • jeffiner1892jeffiner1892 Posts: 14,319
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Liverpool have never got near the top 5? They're not far off it now!
  • Big Boy BarryBig Boy Barry Posts: 35,389
    Forum Member
    Suarez
  • alanrollinsalanrollins Posts: 3,045
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I would vote for Suarez. Certainly would be surprised if he doesn't win the writer's award.

Michu has been excellent but the other names mentioned are very serious competition. I couldn't put him ahead of any of the other three names primarily being suggested.
  • CGG_12CGG_12 Posts: 7,483
    Forum Member
    Hayden wrote: »
    Not disparaging Michu at all as he is the bargain signing of the season but he has only scored in 1 of Swansea's last 11 league games, so there is no doubt he has gone off the boil somewhat.

This bit is painful but for me but it has to be RVP with little between Bale and Suarez for second place
    Bale has almost sinmgle-handedly dragged Spurs up to within touching distance of second while despite Suarez's performances Liverpool have never got near the Top 5- so Bale has made more difference to his team and shades it.

Van Persie though is some way clear out at the front- can't see how you can look beyond him TBH.

Well Suarez has more goals and is playing in an inferior side. Personally, I can easily see why people are looking beyond him. To say he's some way clear is way over the top. Bale and Suarez have had outstanding seasons in their own right and Mata too
    Forum Member
    Liverpool have never got near the top 5? They're not far off it now!

Yeah exactly, if the win today they're two points off it LOL. Even 5 points off is hardly not "near the top 5".
  • TheSlothTheSloth Posts: 18,868
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Hayden wrote: »

However, RVP has not scored in five games and has just one in his last eight. His performance against Madrid in both legs was disappointing. Measured against last season, it's a blip that may cost him.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I remember getting annoyed in 2009/10 when Joe Hart got the keeper spot in team of the year. Yes he had an excellent season but Birmingham did as a whole. Pepe Reina on the other hand was playing in an underperforming Liverpool side yet had more clean sheets than any other keeper in the league bar Cech.

I think it's similar here, RVP and Bale are playing in very good team performances but Suarez is consistently good in an inconsistent side. Think Bale will win it though, footballers are stupid.
  • O'NeillO'Neill Posts: 8,721
    Forum Member
    I'd like to post RVP, but unfortunately, from an unbiased point of view, I would say Suarez also.

I won't be surprised if Rafael wins Manchester United's player of the season award.
    Forum Member
    TheSloth wrote: »
    However, RVP has not scored in five games and has just one in his last eight. His performance against Madrid in both legs was disappointing. Measured against last season, it's a blip that may cost him.

Recency effect always plays a role in these indeed. Last season if it was given at Christmas it would have been hard to look past D.Silva. This year Mata would have been very close indeed. Bale would have been way off most likely
    Forum Member
    O'Neill wrote: »
    I'd like to post RVP, but unfortunately, from an unbiased point of view, I would say Suarez also.

I won't be surprised if Rafael wins Manchester United's player of the season award.

If not RVP, then Carrick will IMO
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    CGG_12 wrote: »
    Recency effect always plays a role in these indeed. Last season if it was given at Christmas it would have been hard to look past D.Silva. This year Mata would have been very close indeed. Bale would have been way off most likely

Recency came into effect the year Giggs won it. Both PFA PotY and SPotY decisions in 2009 were a joke.
    Forum Member
    Recency came into effect the year Giggs won it. Both PFA PotY and SPotY decisions in 2009 were a joke.

Plenty of effects came into it that year, none of them good :p Farce of a decision.
  • OsusanaOsusana Posts: 7,509
    Forum Member
    For the reasons I posted earlier (players award vote in January) I do not expect Bale to win the players award - in fact I'm willing to bet a huge amount of money that he doesn't. Not so sure about Suarez but would be interesting to know why players would vote for him. Apart from Liverpool ones of course
  • HaydenHayden Posts: 32,949
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Carrick will never win but he's had a terrific season in an understated sort of way
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Osusana wrote: »
    For the reasons I posted earlier (players award vote in January) I do not expect Bale to win the players award - in fact I'm willing to bet a huge amount of money that he doesn't. Not so sure about Suarez but would be interesting to know why players would vote for him. Apart from Liverpool ones of course

Liverpool players can't vote for him, you can't vote for your own teammates.
  • DandemDandem Posts: 13,353
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I reckon Suarez could be in for a shout. The defenders will naturally vote for whoever tormented them the most when they played. If you watch a lot of interviews with defenders, they talk about how difficult it is to defend against Suarez quite often.
    Forum Member
    Liverpool players can't vote for him, you can't vote for your own teammates.

Of course, well I'm thinking that no black players will vote for him so the odds are lengthening..............
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Osusana wrote: »
    Of course, well I'm thinking that no black players will vote for him so the odds are lengthening..............

Well considering Glen Johnson still speaks to him and Ashley Cole is still friendly with John Terry that doesn't necessarily mean NO black players will vote. If the PFA can keep a convicted racist in Team of the year they're capable of anything.

Votes are already done and counted though so discussion is moot.

Edit: I meant rapist!
    Forum Member
    Well considering Glen Johnson still speaks to him and Ashley Cole is still friendly with John Terry that doesn't necessarily mean NO black players will vote. If the PFA can keep a convicted racist in Team of the year they're capable of anything.

Votes are already done and counted though so discussion is moot.

True dat
  • Lawro2Lawro2 Posts: 1,219
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Suarez gets my vote.
  • ihatemarmiteihatemarmite Posts: 5,605
    Forum Member
    Mata. I think he's outstanding.

Top goalscorers or strikers always get it though, so think it'll be one of Bale, Suarez or RVP.
    Suarez probably deserves it more than the others as Liverpool are not a vintage team.
    Bale will probably get it because he's British and is finishing the season strongly :rolleyes:
  • Leo91Leo91 Posts: 259
    Forum Member
    Mata, different gravy again today.
  • satellitesatellite Posts: 8,181
    Forum Member
    As a Gooner it absolutely pains me to say this, but it has to be Gareth Bale, he's been outstanding for Spurs!

Suarez 2nd, Michu 3rd!