BBC to launch five new HD channels on Freeview

ronantronant Posts: 4,785
Forum Member
✭✭✭
BBC News HD, BBC Three HD, BBC Four HD, CBBC HD and CBeebies HD are to launch by early 2014. Great news.

However BBC News HD, BBC Four HD and CBeebies HD won't be available to all Freeview homes.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/mediacentre/latestnews/2013/bbchdchannels.html

Comments

• ClusterbombedClusterbombed Posts: 234
    Forum Member
    From the small print:

"On digital terrestrial television (Freeview HD and YouView), BBC Three HD and CBBC HD will use capacity on the BBC’s existing HD multiplex, which has 98.5 per cent coverage of UK homes. BBC News HD, BBC Four HD and CBeebies HD will use new HD capacity, which will cover part of the UK and grow in coverage over time."
  • grimtales1grimtales1 Posts: 46,685
    Forum Member
    Great news about BBC3 and 4 HD :)
    Forum Member
    And another thing... Ofcom are launching 10 new HD channels. This means the BBC are taking three of them (assuming the same timesharing arrangements as currently).

Given that the BBC couldn't find anyone to take the current 'spare' HD channel, what are the chances of finding seven broadcasters willing to pay for HD?
  • figrin_danfigrin_dan Posts: 1,437
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Didn't take long for the link to die.

Try this: http://www.bbc.co.uk/mediacentre/latestnews/2013/bbchdchannels.html
  • ronantronant Posts: 4,785
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    From the small print:

"On digital terrestrial television (Freeview HD and YouView), BBC Three HD and CBBC HD will use capacity on the BBC’s existing HD multiplex, which has 98.5 per cent coverage of UK homes. BBC News HD, BBC Four HD and CBeebies HD will use new HD capacity, which will cover part of the UK and grow in coverage over time."

And from the Ofcom press release:

"Arqiva has indicated that the new channels will be broadcast to up to 70% of the UK population – above the minimum requirement of 50%."
    http://media.ofcom.org.uk/2013/07/16/new-hd-channels-on-terrestrial-tv/

Also this space is only available until 2018, what happens to the HD services then?

However BBC Three HD and CBBC HD will presumably be using the space that the BBC have been trying to sell off for some time, which is currently being used for BBC Red Button HD.
  • ronantronant Posts: 4,785
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    And another thing... Ofcom are launching 10 new HD channels. This means the BBC are taking three of them (assuming the same timesharing arrangements as currently).
    Only two of them (BBC News and BBC Four/CBeebies). BBC Three/CBBC will use the space currently occupied by Red Button HD.
    Forum Member
    ronant wrote: »
    Also this space is only available until 2018, what happens to the HD services then?

Presumably by then everyone will have realised that broadcasting over the airwaves is sooo 20th Century and the great IPTV Switchover will be underway!
  • Kevin_TiplerKevin_Tipler Posts: 50
    Forum Member
    Presumably by then everyone will have realised that broadcasting over the airwaves is sooo 20th Century and the great IPTV Switchover will be underway![/QUO

That can only happen after everyone has fibre optic and unlimited broadband.
  • BangersBangers Posts: 3,626
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ofcom are under pressure from the mobile phone lobby to keep spectrum available for more 4G/5G etc... I think if the two new HD muxes are a success then they'll be here to stay, but if not then they can pull the plug and reuse the frequencies for mobile networks.
  • GreeboGreebo Posts: 1,418
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Given that the BBC couldn't find anyone to take the current 'spare' HD channel, what are the chances of finding seven broadcasters willing to pay for HD?

I make that two 24 hour slots from the new 600MHz interim mux for the BBC: 1/ BBC News HD, 2/ BBC Four/CBeebies HD leaving 8 slots.

This was a joint Arqiva/BBC/Channel4 bid though ( http://www.a516digital.com/2012/11/bbc-c4-propose-more-hd-channels-on.html )- lets see how many Channel 4 announce.

If they don't fill the mux, we might end up with quite a few 'temporary' red button streams.
  • freetoview33freetoview33 Posts: 2,921
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    E4 and Film4 must be the top 2 channels
  • mossy2103mossy2103 Posts: 84,307
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

There will be space for up to 10 HD channels.

Channel Four will be taking at least one or two, I think ITV were not interested (they have their minor HD channels behind a paywall anyway). Maybe Channel Five will at last step up to the plate with one or maybe two?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I find this line interesting:
    It is thought the addition of these new HD channels will help to further encourage take-up of HD receivers and so help the transition of the DTT platform to the DVB-T2 transmission standard

http://media.ofcom.org.uk/2013/07/16/new-hd-channels-on-terrestrial-tv/
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 384
    Forum Member
    So who will take the other five spaces? We know that ITV have put their channels on a subscription basis, will this space change their minds, or could channel 4 beat them to it? Good move for DTT more free HD,
  • SpotSpot Posts: 25,118
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Presumably by then everyone will have realised that broadcasting over the airwaves is sooo 20th Century and the great IPTV Switchover will be underway!

I don't expect to live to see that, and despite my advancing years I have every hope of being around for a few decades yet.
  • lemoncurdlemoncurd Posts: 57,778
    Forum Member
    figrin_dan wrote: »

I can't imagine them going to the cost of a second "switchover" so soon after analogue-switchoff - at least not for another 10 years, hoping that most STBs/TVs will come with T2 tuners by then. Even then, I suspect most people will have moved to IP-based TV by then, so I'm not sure if one last broadcast change will be squeezed in.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    don't foresee a switchover but it sounds like they are looking at the idea. The COMs would be the first to go, PSBs would hold out for longer. I don't see a UK-wide IPTV infrastructure being as dependable as DVB-TX for a while.
  • barbelerbarbeler Posts: 23,827
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    E4 and Film4 must be the top 2 channels
    Top of what?
  • BizmanBizman Posts: 749
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    There's another article here http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-23326709
  • tomeetomee Posts: 2,891
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    barbeler wrote: »
    Top of what?

Channel 4 list of HD channels that are coming soon to freeview HD.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    film4 HD @ 24fps

Not going to happen but I can dream.
  • BangersBangers Posts: 3,626
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If I were Channel 4, I'd go the whole hog and make a play for four HD slots (Film4 HD, E4 HD, More4 HD and 4seven HD (I know there's no HD 4seven right now, but maybe the will be in the future)).
  • Nigel GoodwinNigel Goodwin Posts: 58,335
    Forum Member
    Spot wrote: »
    I don't expect to live to see that, and despite my advancing years I have every hope of being around for a few decades yet.

I don't expect it to ever happen - but it's such a 'good' plan, let's find the most expensive. limited and unreliable transmission method and get rid of the cheaper more reliable existing systems.
  • 2Bdecided2Bdecided Posts: 4,416
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ronant wrote: »
    Some will move on to one or more of the existing muxes, which will convert to T2 at that time.
  • freetoview33freetoview33 Posts: 2,921
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It would make sense to make a date to convert to just T2 transmission, So another switchover just because the government never sorted things out and kept putting it off!