Options

Kirkwood Has Destroyed Hollyoaks

camy934camy934 Posts: 1,821
Forum Member
✭✭✭
*Ill thought out plots - Grace is now bisexual all of a sudden?? , The domestic abuse storyline has turned into a Groundhog Day parody.

*Bad Writing - If they want the viewers to be on Lindsay and Freddie's side - then they are definitely going the wrong way about it.

*Very unlikable characters apart from a select few (Grace, Trevor are an exception)
*Sensationalism at every opportunity.
*Lack of aftermath to every storyline.
*Shocks just for the sake of it - (Incest storyline anyone ?? )

The whole production team needs a complete overhaul, KIRKWOOD out for a start. It needs a cast overhaul too like what Paul Marquess did in 2010. The storylines never seem to go anywhere, I stopped watching for about 2 months and then when i dipped in to see if it had improved - the same storylines were still being milked.

The show is now unrecognisable to what Phil Remond devised. How Kirkwood can say getting rid of the university allows them to 'tell a bigger variety of stories'. Hollyoaks was a show about students living in Chester. Not murders and explosions every week.

The bad writing is also laughable. In the custody hearing last week, they said to Maxine 'you will get the opportunity to state your case'. Then, a second a later 'after taking all the facts into account, custody of the child should be allocated to the father'?? . Kirkwood has totally made a mockery of the domestic abuse storyline. Instead of ending it at the wedding and allowing it to be remembered as an issue led storyline, he has now turned into a pathetic parody and showing that victims never escape their abusers. How can this give young people any sort of positive message?

Patrick may as well be stood twirling his moustache he has been turned into that much of a joke character. Fantastic actors like Jeremy Sheffield and Nikki Sanderson deserve material so much better to show off what their truly capable of.

It pains me to see the show in such a dire strait. . >:(>:(

Comments

• Options
    NoughtiesMusicNoughtiesMusic Posts: 15,914
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm surprised he hasn't tried roping in some of the terrible actors from his EE stint like the Goon brothers.
  • Options
    NoughtiesMusicNoughtiesMusic Posts: 15,914
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Just another point, the storytelling is so rushed and fast paced these days that a new plot emerges each week and characters go from one dilemma to another.

ALSO.....have I been living under a rock, because since when did Kathleen Angel require speech therapy lessons? Theresa mentioned that Patrick is paying for them. This wasn't alluded to until very recently.
  • Options
    lou_123lou_123 Posts: 12,706
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    He's awful.

The Maxine and Patrick storyline has gone beyond ridiculous.

90% of the cast are detestable.

& about 98% of the cast have been kidnapped at some point. What a load of UTTER shite!

The upcoming scenes with 'The Roscoes' this week look horrendous! What an embarrassment.
  • Options
    ChipDouglas82ChipDouglas82 Posts: 6,700
    Forum Member
    camy934 wrote: »
    *Ill thought out plots - Grace is now bisexual all of a sudden?? , The domestic abuse storyline has turned into a Groundhog Day parody.

(

I don't think she is to be honest, Grace has said before she will do ANYTHING to get Freddie sent down. What better way than get close to his girlfriends sister?

Although I admit, that kiss was rather nice, makes a change from scenes of John Paul & Ste sucking face.
  • Options
    Cal_Scream2Cal_Scream2 Posts: 6,733
    Forum Member
    Just another point, the storytelling is so rushed and fast paced these days that a new plot emerges each week and characters go from one dilemma to another.

ALSO.....have I been living under a rock, because since when did Kathleen Angel require speech therapy lessons? Theresa mentioned that Patrick is paying for them. This wasn't alluded to until very recently.

Aren't her speech therapy lessons needed because of Carmel's death ect?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    Forum Member
    I agree with this.
  • Options
    vaslav37vaslav37 Posts: 69,565
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

*Bad Writing - If they want the viewers to be on Lindsay and Freddie's side - then they are definitely going the wrong way about it.

*Very unlikable characters apart from a select few (Grace, Trevor are an exception)

The whole production team needs a complete overhaul, KIRKWOOD out for a start. It needs a cast overhaul too like what Paul Marquess did in 2010. The storylines never seem to go anywhere, I stopped watching for about 2 months and then when i dipped in to see if it had improved - the same storylines were still being milked.

The show is now unrecognisable to what Phil Remond devised. How Kirkwood can say getting rid of the university allows them to 'tell a bigger variety of stories'. Hollyoaks was a show about students living in Chester. Not murders and explosions every week.

The bad writing is also laughable. In the custody hearing last week, they said to Maxine 'you will get the opportunity to state your case'. Then, a second a later 'after taking all the facts into account, custody of the child should be allocated to the father'?? . Kirkwood has totally made a mockery of the domestic abuse storyline. Instead of ending it at the wedding and allowing it to be remembered as an issue led storyline, he has now turned into a pathetic parody and showing that victims never escape their abusers. How can this give young people any sort of positive message?

Patrick may as well be stood twirling his moustache he has been turned into that much of a joke character. Fantastic actors like Jeremy Sheffield and Nikki Sanderson deserve material so much better to show off what their truly capable of.

He nearly destroyed EE too.
  • Options
    Lucie_GirardLucie_Girard Posts: 36,092
    Forum Member
    What are they waiting to fire him?:confused:
  • Options
    radyagradyag Posts: 2,220
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm surprised he hasn't tried roping in some of the terrible actors from his EE stint like the Goon brothers.

:o dont give him any ideas
  • Options
    radyagradyag Posts: 2,220
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

It needs a new producer, head writer brought in working together as a team with the other writers to create something a little more real. Or they should just go down the soap parody route and make a guilty pleasure type such which is total fluff.
  • Options
    HankshawHankshaw Posts: 4,224
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    None of these complaints are valid. This is bandwagon jumping as usual.
  • Options
    zerotheherozerothehero Posts: 21,860
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hankshaw wrote: »

I think they are

People who are long term fans will realise how much he has turned it into a laughing stock
  • Options
    theiceman2014theiceman2014 Posts: 623
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    If you dont like the show then simply do not watch it, it cant be that bad if you still watch it unless someone is forcing you.

Also programs change, not all of us want hollyoaks to return to phil redmonds era, he left many years ago.
  • Options
    zerotheherozerothehero Posts: 21,860
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If you dont like the show then simply do not watch it, it cant be that bad if you still watch it unless someone is forcing you.

Also programs change, not all of us want hollyoaks to return to phil redmonds era, he left many years ago.

Its depressing to know only a couple of years back the show had one of its best if not the best year ever now its turn into something id expect the US to make
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

How is this ill thought out? It's a twist. Grace kisses the girlfriend of the woman who's having her baby. It's been thought out to provide drama and tension.

The domestic abuse story has gone through many stages. From the relationship, the wedding, the baby, the separation, the attempt on Patrick's life, custody of Minnie. The show clearly doesn't want to lose either of the actors involved and so they are fining new battles for the characters. Groundhog Day implies the same thing keeps happening over and over. Their relationship has actually gone through many changes with the power shifting between Patrick and Maxine.

How is that bad writing. They are one side of the story and some viewers do side with them. You're accusing the show of something they haven't even done. Viewers have the option of rooting for Joe, Grace and Mercedes or for Freddie and Lindsay.

Grace and Trevor are abusive and aggressive and involved in criminal activities. I expect you like them because they are played by good actors and entertaining. Which means when you say 'very unlikable characters' what you mean is characters that you dislike. So that's not Kirkwood's fault.

Boring criticisms that could be applied to all soaps.

The cast is strong apart from a handful of dreadful people that should never have been given jobs. Storylines don't go anywhere? Oh great another vague and overused criticism.

He can say it because it does. Not focusing on one age group means they can tell stories about older characters.

Some victims don't escape their abusers. I imagine it's even more difficult when a child is involved. Maxine is the positive message and not just to young people but anyone that has been abused. Her strength and determination to remove Patrick out of her life has been pretty incredible. She's an inspiration and I see nothing but praise for the character.

Is he a joke character? I think he's a smart, manipulative, damaged and deeply flawed character. A brilliant soap villain and nothing like a joke.
  • Options
    theiceman2014theiceman2014 Posts: 623
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Its depressing to know only a couple of years back the show had one of its best if not the best year ever now its turn into something id expect the US to make

Well slagging off aint gonna help and at times bk has annoyed me with his cheesiness like upcoming roscoes scare off trevor royal as Trevor as if a gangster with access to guns and a phone book filled with lunatics would be scared of a bunch of pretty boys, the only tough guy who can match trevor would be Joe nut like i said Trevor would have his revenge by phoning up his gangster buddies.
  • Options
    GeekInfectedGeekInfected Posts: 6,372
    Forum Member

This comment is not valid and I'll tell you why... You've given no reasoning as to why you believe the complaints are invalid.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well slagging off aint gonna help and at times bk has annoyed me with his cheesiness like upcoming roscoes scare off trevor royal as Trevor as if a gangster with access to guns and a phone book filled with lunatics would be scared of a bunch of pretty boys, the only tough guy who can match trevor would be Joe nut like i said Trevor would have his revenge by phoning up his gangster buddies.

When has Trevor ever phoned up his gangster buddies? He deals with things himself. If the Roscoe's threaten him then it's understandable he'd back off. Two of them have killed, one has an anger problem, the other one is a snake. Trevor would know to back off.
  • Options
    Bona dragBona drag Posts: 893
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I've been watching on and off for about 15 years now and I don't think it's the worst it has ever been. One of my favourite eras of HO was BKs last stint as EP between 2006 - 2008. I'm actually not that bothered that they have got rid of the student halls as most of the students were disposable with a few exceptions such as Becca, Kris, Zoe ect. However, the new focus on the hospital has not worked imo. The numerous contrived plots to endure at least one character ends up in hospital each episode Is getting tedious, I hope this stops once the gloved hand killer storyline is over.

I think they have a good cast overall and most of the characters have potential. They need more well thought out storylines with a proper aftermath as sometimes it seems like they are making it up as they go along. More meaningful relationships between characters and less repetition.
  • Options
    xTonixxTonix Posts: 56,274
    Forum Member
    BK is obsessed with kidnappings, people getting tied up, murders, deaths, people being bi/gay (whatever they he feels they need to be that week) all I can say he is, he must of had a bad childhood or something...
  • Options
    fairyfruitcakefairyfruitcake Posts: 1,475
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    How is this ill thought out? It's a twist. Grace kisses the girlfriend of the woman who's having her baby. It's been thought out to provide drama and tension.

The domestic abuse story has gone through many stages. From the relationship, the wedding, the baby, the separation, the attempt on Patrick's life, custody of Minnie. The show clearly doesn't want to lose either of the actors involved and so they are fining new battles for the characters. Groundhog Day implies the same thing keeps happening over and over. Their relationship has actually gone through many changes with the power shifting between Patrick and Maxine.

How is that bad writing. They are one side of the story and some viewers do side with them. You're accusing the show of something they haven't even done. Viewers have the option of rooting for Joe, Grace and Mercedes or for Freddie and Lindsay.

Grace and Trevor are abusive and aggressive and involved in criminal activities. I expect you like them because they are played by good actors and entertaining. Which means when you say 'very unlikable characters' what you mean is characters that you dislike. So that's not Kirkwood's fault.

Boring criticisms that could be applied to all soaps.

The cast is strong apart from a handful of dreadful people that should never have been given jobs. Storylines don't go anywhere? Oh great another vague and overused criticism.

He can say it because it does. Not focusing on one age group means they can tell stories about older characters.

Some victims don't escape their abusers. I imagine it's even more difficult when a child is involved. Maxine is the positive message and not just to young people but anyone that has been abused. Her strength and determination to remove Patrick out of her life has been pretty incredible. She's an inspiration and I see nothing but praise for the character.

Is he a joke character? I think he's a smart, manipulative, damaged and deeply flawed character. A brilliant soap villain and nothing like a joke.

Well said - completely agree
  • Options
    LHolmesLHolmes Posts: 13,887
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The show is a complete joke these days. I hate the block storytelling and when characters who haven't had their turn in the spotlight do come back into focus it's usually to play out the same scenes/dialogue they were doing before vanishing. Storylines move forward at a snail's pace and just as it appears something might've reached a conclusion a stupid twist comes along to drag things out further. I'm losing the will to live with Patrick and Maxine.
  • Options
    Scorpio2Scorpio2 Posts: 5,632
    Forum Member
    It's like a US soap now.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    When do the awards start? Can't wait to see how many Hollyoaks wins.
  • Options
    West End BoyWest End Boy Posts: 870
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The thing I like about Hollyoaks is, it isn't precious or up its own a**e like the big 3, it is what it is. Bryan Kirkwood is full throttle all the time. It does have it faults but what it also has is bags of energy, when they do a stunt or location filming, it has a film quality about it. There are some good actors also like Kieron Richardson, James Sutton and Jennifer Metcalfe who has to be the best, most delicious, soap bitch, which the other soaps would give their eye teeth for.

It is enjoyable fun and it entertains for 22 minutes. Can you say that about the big 3?

Coronation Street is in dire strates, which is struggling to be funny or dramatic and has p**s poor stroylines, Emmerdale has moments of brilliance as does EastEnders, but both can be patchy. Hollyoaks is enjoyable pap. Plain and simple.