Options

Where were you when you heard that Michael Jackson had died?

Comments

• Options
    CoolboyACoolboyA Posts: 10,447
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I was in the toilet and could hear the news in the background, something about a 50 year old dying.
    When i went back to the living room i asked my dad and he said as cool as anything, "Oh yeah, Jacko's dead".

To be honest, i did not fee a thing. It's sad but it doesn't mean anything to me. None of my friends were that bothered either - it's just weird.
  • Options
    gsj06gsj06 Posts: 96
    Forum Member
    I had just pulled onto the drive at about 11 o'clock when my mum came running out to my car to tell me what had happened. Everybody was sat in the living room watching BBC News 24, and it said it had unconfirmed reports from TMZ that he had died.

To be honest I was sitting on the loo when it came over the radio............nearly S??? masel ohhhhhhhhhhhhhh, never like the guy anyway, shame though eh......well it is innit!!!wonder if there will be as many tributes when old glitter goes eh? doubt it,,,,,,,,,,,,,,oh well Jordy did well out of it all.
  • Options
    trinity2002trinity2002 Posts: 16,059
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I was at work. We heard on the 10 o'clock news that he'd been rushed to hospital and that reports suggested he wasn't breathing. I made a fly away comment that I'd been expecting to hear of his death since 2000. At 11.45pm the girl I was working with had been on her phone outside, when she ran in, started switching TV channels, and told me her friend had told her she thought he had died.
  • Options
    water_carrierwater_carrier Posts: 1,237
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I was in bed reading . My husband works for a mobile phone operator. He received a text message from base control around 10:30pm, they had been monitoring mobile phone acitivity and had noticed a surge in calls/texts/tweets. The text message had also said that MJ had died. He didnt' say anything to me but went downstairs and turned to SKY News. Once he had read the unconfirmed reports he called me. The tone in his voice made me realise it was something serious. I thought he'd hurt himself, I thought maybe they'd been an accident one of our friends/family.
    When I saw the news I was dumbstruck. I was in disbelief. I still can't believe he is dead.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 10,970
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I was at the bus stop - I heard it on the radio and thought "ooh that's a bit of a shock, yay here comes the bus"
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,024
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    At a Fleet foxes gig, someone shouted it to the band between tunes
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 605
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    About to go to bed when my father knocks on my bedroom door, saying, "Michael Jackson's died."

Spent the early hours watching the news in shock!
  • Options
    nut1974nut1974 Posts: 1,268
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    woke up infront of pc and saw a big brother thread about should they tell the house that MJ is dead? i thought it was a joke at 1st then i done a search and it was true
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,012
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I was in bed, the light coming on my phone to signal a text woke me up and then I read the text from my dad saying that he had died, but because he had spelled his name wrong I thought maybe it was someone else! then I thought maybe it was some hoax, but sadly not.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 203
    Forum Member
    I was having sex. My boss texted me at about 1150pm. My boyfriend was not impressed, rolled off and went to sleep.
  • Options
    mattwoodfieldmattwoodfield Posts: 6,036
    Forum Member
    I was on DS while watching Big Bro, and read the first post by the user who posted in GD about it. It had no replies when I read it, and it was that TMZ website reporting it, but was only reporting he had cardiac arrest. I followed the story till about 2am before I decided it was time for bed!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 93
    Forum Member
    I found out at 11.17am today after a lay-in and then going online to check my e-mails. Unreal! I'm not a fan but it's still a shock! I can still remember when Elvis died back in 1977 and the huge outpouring of grief that followed soon afterwards from his fans. I wonder if we'll see the same with Michael's fans? Unfortunately, whoever owns the rights to his recording catalogue will love it as sales will no doubt go through the roof causing MJ to sell more records than he did when he was alive.

Anyway, so sad. May he finally rest in peace. x
  • Options
    stuart60677stuart60677 Posts: 193
    Forum Member
    I was at my school prom, and was texted by a friend who wasn't there. We all thought he was bored and was texting us something he had made up as he was bored...
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 100
    Forum Member
    I was in bed. My radio alarm went off at 6:30 as usual, and the first thing I heard in my sleepy state was the news guy saying "Michael Jackson is dead". Strangest way to wake up. Ever. Not a big fan of MJ, but still feel a little weird now...

Steve
  • Options
    †¤AzumiMiyako¤††¤AzumiMiyako¤† Posts: 3,061
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I was on DS... lol.

And talking to my friend, cousin and brother on MSN.
  • Options
    PDTPDT Posts: 175
    Forum Member
    I was at a comedy gig in Islington... It was wrapping up, the compere had thanked us all for coming, etc, and then announced that he'd had a text earlier, and Michael Jackson had had a heart attack and was no longer with us... It was a wonderful moment of nobody not quite knowing what was going on.
  • Options
    bigsisbigsis Posts: 1,334
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I heard it on the 6am news this morning when my clock radio switched itself on that he had passed away which I will never forget as I still remember what I was doing when John Lennon and Elvis Presley both died.
  • Options
    Syntax ErrorSyntax Error Posts: 27,804
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I was playing pool in Rileys Snooker Hall in Chorlton, Manchester when the word went around.

I thought it was some sort of joke at first, but then they put BBC News 24 on the big screen & although it hadn't been officially confirmed at the time, it looked as if it was only a matter of time before the inevitable announcement.

RIP Michael Jackson.:(
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 423
    Forum Member
    I was on Facebook when the first few status' started changing to 'RIP MJ', I rushed downstairs and told my brother to put it on the news. We were met by all news channels saying death unconfirmed and had to wait about 30 mins before it was fianlly confirmed. It certainly was a bizarre half an hour, the radio only playing MJ songs and everyone thinking what if he doesn't pull through :(
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,362
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My mums on holiday ,so i text her last night. She didnt get it till this morning though. She didnt have a clue about any of it. Hope it doesnt ruin thier holiday.
  • Options
    SecretLifeoBeesSecretLifeoBees Posts: 50,923
    Forum Member
    I was chatting to a friend on Msn and watching Question Time. My friend then asked "Is it true MJ is dead? They are saying he is on DS". I then switched over to BBC news24 and saw they were saying TMZ were claiming he was dead but it was as of yet unconfirmed. I then logged onto DS to see what people were saying.
  • Options
    queenshaksqueenshaks Posts: 10,281
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I was logged on the Gagajoyjoy forum when one of the fms started a thread (news was just breaking). I was watching BB and discussing BB but that show seemed insignificant after watching the news.

Very very sad.....it hasn't sunk in yet.
  • Options
    katiemackkatiemack Posts: 7,837
    Forum Member
    I was on DS talking to people on BB forum the banner at the top said he has been rushed to hospital and someone posted that TMZ had reported he had died.

I turned it over to the news and found out it had been confirmed :(

I put it as my status on facebook (i was the 1st of my friends to do so) and people then commented asking if it was true.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 17,021
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I didn't find out until 6 am today. I've had a busy week, and have had to get up at 5.30 each morning, so I went to bed early. Turned on the telly when I got up and had one of those 'double take at the headline on the screen' moments.

For those who don't remember Elvis or Lennon dying, this is pretty much the same - everyone talking about it and massive media coverage. And their deaths were before today's world of rolling news.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,506
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Had just finished watching a film with my friend last night, picked up my phone to look at the time and noticed a text msg from another friend, telling my that MJ had died and to turn on the news...
    My friend and I watched for a little while, a little shocked but not distraught or anything.