Options

Jamie's dream school

Comments

• Options
    ftw774ftw774 Posts: 9,353
    Forum Member
    Dissect him in the next Biology lesson. Groucho, fire up the chainsaw!! :D

Never mind, Rolf will be on hand to say 'Sadly little Starkers didn't make it!' :D

Starkey's an old-style academic with that type of pedagogy. That's what the Education Secretary Michael Gove is trying to reintroduce. Fine if a child is that way inclined: disaster if they are not (as shown in this programme).

I can understand that these particular group of kids aren't the easiest but it showed a lack of internal discipline to lose his rag in the way he did. I had a teacher at school who was a former Hong Kong Policeman. Believe me you behaved in his class, and his aim with a board rubber was incredible. Starkey, take note ;):D
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 261
    Forum Member
    Starkey didn't know what to do. He didnt't know how to approach the class. I think he was trying to joke with them, however due to his early condescending manner, it came across as more offensive and less 'we are equals'. He couldn't redeem himself.

He was completely out of his depth.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,820
    Forum Member
    belfastkid wrote: »
    Well quite frankly I think thats a load of crap. We had an english teacher in our school, an old teacher who had taught for 35 years previously. He had a dragon temper and if you got him in one way angry or made just one little smirk out of turn boy would he shout. But contrary to your opinion dispite him losing his temper it just made you DREAD disobeying him for even a milisecond and in turn no one spoke one word out of turn.

And BTW this isnt old age 60's teaching. Im 18, this teacher took my class last year in 2010 and his methods worked believe you me.

I can see from the way you speak to other people that your teachers set you a shining example of how to give people both boundaries and consequences without trying to belittle them or being unpleasant to them.
    Personally, I pride myself on always being unfailingly polite to my students even whilst disciplining them, which I frequently do.
    Consequently, I don't have to raise my voice or rant at students to get their attention, and they speak to me respectfully because they are given a clear and consistent example of what is acceptable behaviour and an acceptable way to speak to other people. If you treat people with respect you are much more likely to receive it in turn.
    It's worked for me to the extent that I am now in a course leader position and am frequently called upon to step in when other teachers need support with classroom management. So I'll stick to my method, but thanks anyway.
  • Options
    cjrailsoncjrailson Posts: 290
    Forum Member
    divingbboy wrote: »
    Rolf would have been OK, had the class size been restricted to two little boys.

LOL! - Love it! :D

I was looking forward to this program and it seems quite good. I would say though that I think they are treating the kids with kit gloves a bit to much. Starkey should not have picked on the kid but there really should be some discipline.

I hope most of the kids realize how lucky they are to get just one lesson from some of these people! :)

One thing that bothers me a bit is the practical lessons are cool, but there is no getting away from the fact that to learn properly you cant make absolutely everything practical and fun.

Had a quick look at the youtube site, and a 5 min clip from Alister Cambels lesson. Cant say i'm a big fan of Labour but his lesson seemed pretty good! and got the kids interested.
  • Options
    titfortattitfortat Posts: 9,126
    Forum Member
    I use to be a little shit at school. And its my fault that I failed on one eles. I think personal we are just far to soft on kids now days. They have all the power. Why the hell shoul teachers have to put up with kids treating them like shit. Let the ones who wants to learn stay in school the ones who dont stick them on a youth training scheame at 14 and let them learn a trade
  • Options
    riannerianne Posts: 1,074
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Why is it that the disrespectful brats that go to school get these type of treats, this holiday camp that they call a school yet the people who work hard come out of school with a pat on the back, a degree and 20 thousand debt?

i was watching this the beginning of this with my other half (im going to watch the rest tomorrow) but he said exactly the same thing.

Im a secondary maths teacher, and i have a GCSE foundation class. Some of them ask if the can move up and do higher GCSE because they dont want to get a just a Grade C, however[/B when it comes to completing homework, putting the effort in and actually behaving in class they cant be bothered to do it.

Its a shame you always know the name of the kids that have poor behaviour before the names of the kids who behave perfectly
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,939
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    cjrailson wrote: »

I hope most of the kids realize how lucky they are to get just one lesson from some of these people! :)

Hmm, but why should they respect these 'these people' when 'these people' are irrelevant to the kids' own lives/situation?

I think that if the teachers are indeed as worthy of respect as everyone says they are, then that will naturally come out in the way they approach the children. I don't care that Starkey's a celebrity in the 'intellectual world' -- *he* was in the wrong, not the children.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 398
    Forum Member
    problem is, teachers can only go so far with instilling discipline in youngsters. If parents are incapable of doing their part in this respect (first and foremost, discipline needs to come from home primarily - so that discipline in schools can be effective) then there it makes it a lot harder for schools to do sort out the deficiencies.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    tandaaziz wrote: »
    Starkey didn't know what to do. He didnt't know how to approach the class. I think he was trying to joke with them, however due to his early condescending manner, it came across as more offensive and less 'we are equals'. He couldn't redeem himself.

He was completely out of his depth.

Yes he was but you have to remeber he works in places like oxford and cambige were his student would not dare to act in such a manner
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 87,224
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    http://www.youtube.com/DreamSchool
    Watch all of Starkey's lesson.

... you know you want to.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Yeah Yeah wrote: »
    Hmm, but why should they respect these 'these people' when 'these people' are irrelevant to the kids' own lives/situation?

I think that if the teachers are indeed as worthy of respect as everyone says they are, then that will naturally come out in the way they approach the children. I don't care that Starkey's a celebrity in the 'intellectual world' -- *he* was in the wrong, not the children.

This is not a real school. And he is not a trained secondary school teacher. He has given up his time to be there to help these kids. That alone should earn him some respect
  • Options
    quatroquatro Posts: 2,886
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Starkey was really out of order. If you speak to people like he did how on earth do you expect them to respect you? What an idiot - these brainboxes often are, they have no common sense or respect for others not in their social group. In other words just plain rude.
    I struggled at school [girls grammar school] as the teachers looked down on some of us, and the lessons were so boring and not relevant to 'life' I used to truant to have a more interesting time!
    If the teacher can't get the pupils interested, inspired and wanting to learn a subject - then it says a lot about the teachers lack of teaching skills and you can't blame the kids in the class for that!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 398
    Forum Member
    cjrailson wrote: »
    LOL! - Love it! :D

hmm why should they? "These people", if they are putting themselves in front of a class, need to be able to prove themselves from the outset - if they are that good at inspiring.

That said, it is lame of youngsters to blame others for not making them succeed and not look at themselves at times: they are given an opportunity, yet because it doesn't wow some of them all the time, they are happy to turn off, rebel, and think the world owes them a living. It works both ways. Good onHenry, though, for realising where most of the blame lay
  • Options
    culturemancultureman Posts: 11,701
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    "Designing new lesson obs sheet. Gradings: Excellent, Good, Satisfactory, Unsatisfactory, Starkey".
    Quoted for truth.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm watching Starkey's full lesson on youtube and so far, he's coming across *a lot* better. He's clearly got some very interesting things to say and I'd personally be engaged with his teaching.

The show was edited to make the situation look worse than it was.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    quatro wrote: »
    Starkey was really out of order. If you speak to people like he did how on earth do you expect them to respect you? What an idiot - these brainboxes often are, they have no common sense or respect for others not in their social group. In other words just plain rude.
    I struggled at school [girls grammar school] as the teachers looked down on some of us, and the lessons were so boring and not relevant to 'life' I used to truant to have a more interesting time!
    If the teacher can't get the pupils interested, inspired and wanting to learn a subject - then it says a lot about the teachers lack of teaching skills and you can't blame the kids in the class for that!

At the end of the day you either want to learn or you dont. Some teachers do look down on there pupils but they are prob tried of the abuse they have to suffer day in and day out. I was terrible at school and use to say it was cus the teachers talked down to me or did'nt respect me. The truth was I just could not be bothered to learn and made teachers life hell and distrubed class. What righ did I have to take away another pupils education just cus I could not be arsed to learn myself. And that point of view has only happened after I have had children myself. Eduction is a great thing its just a shame so many of our kids waste it.

Teachers owe us nothing. What as a kid have we done to earn respect.
  • Options
    Lorelei LaFleurLorelei LaFleur Posts: 4,504
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    And your liable to have someone either vomit or faint in every one you do. Certainly when I was at school the only disection i ever did didnt go well. After going white as a sheet and almost falling off the chair.

During dissections in Biology lessons in my old school, it was always the boys that passed out.
  • Options
    umgeeumgee Posts: 1,247
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    That's fine, nothing wrong with that. It was the 'you're fat' comment and the diet comment that was unacceptable.

These kids are way too highly strung.

The "you're fat" comment was blown way out of proportion. Tutors and pupils are NOT equals, and the kid is not justified in throwing and OTT strop and retaliating the way he did.

I'm pretty sure if the kid shut his damn mouth when the History teacher was talking, nothing would have been said to begin with.

Schools shouldn't have to bend so far back to accommodate these attention-seeking brats, these kids need to be taught discipline.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    umgee wrote: »

The "you're fat" comment was blown way out of proportion. Tutors and pupils are NOT equals, and the kid is not justified in throwing and OTT strop and retaliating the way he did.

I'm pretty sure if the kid shut his damn mouth when the History teacher was talking, nothing would have been said to begin with.

Schools shouldn't have to bend so far back to accommodate these attention-seeking brats, these kids need to be taught discipline.

I have to say I agree with you total
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's obvious that some of you have a vendetta against children.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 13,367
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    umgee wrote: »

Teachers and pupils are not equals, but how can unprovoked personal insults possibly help to engage children who are already disillusioned with the education system?
  • Options
    culturemancultureman Posts: 11,701
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm watching Starkey's full lesson on youtube and so far, he's coming across *a lot* better. He's clearly got some very interesting things to say and I'd personally be engaged with his teaching.

The show was edited to make the situation look worse than it was.

But that's hardly the point. The show is about the ability to connect with disaffected 16 -17 year olds, not Oxbridge hopefuls. That requires interpersonal skills, judgement and humility.

Measured on that task he is a failure.
  • Options
    quatroquatro Posts: 2,886
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    titfortat wrote: »
    At the end of the day you either want to learn or you dont. Some teachers do look down on there pupils but they are prob tried of the abuse they have to suffer day in and day out. I was terrible at school and use to say it was cus the teachers talked down to me or did'nt respect me. The truth was I just could not be bothered to learn and made teachers life hell and distrubed class. What righ did I have to take away another pupils education just cus I could not be arsed to learn myself. And that point of view has only happened after I have had children myself. Eduction is a great thing its just a shame so many of our kids waste it.

Teachers owe us nothing. What as a kid have we done to earn respect.

I did want to learn. I was not disruptive - just from a poor family and a few of the [bad] teachers knew it and singled pupils like me out.
    It was an extremely posh school but I can't say the very dull curriculum was very inspiring or imaginative.
    These teachers had been to Oxford and Cambridge but bright they certainly weren't. [A la Starkey]
    But it was a very long time ago.
  • Options
    Forum Member

No I dont. But I do feel that our current system sets kids up to fail in the long run.
  • Options
    belfastkidbelfastkid Posts: 2,911
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Oh please!!! So we have a vendetta against children because we are willing to say that some of the bahaviour shown in the programme by those kids was disgusting, that the fat comment was WAYYYY overblown, that all these kids always have someone else to blame rather than putting in their own damn effort. I, my parents, my grandparents all got through school fine, what makes us different than every other person?