Top Cat Film?

whiteswanwhiteswan Posts: 842
Forum Member
✭✭
Hi

Whilst flicking about the channels today looking for Man Utd game (I have a motorised dish) I saw what appeared to be an advert (in spanish I think) for a TOP CAT MOVIE?

All the characters appeared to be there - but it looked new if that makes any sense..........funny thing is I have not seen/heard of this before?

Guess its Hanna BARBERA feature that has probably gone straigh to dvd in america - maybe we will see it over here?

TOP CAT only lasted for 30 episodes and was made for less than a year - but it seems like it was on forever when I was young !

Dave

Comments

• mistygalmistygal Posts: 8,318
    Forum Member
    I used to love TC, Not sure if the market is quite waiting all those Benny's and Dibbles out there?
    nothing surprises me anymore:(
  • whiteswanwhiteswan Posts: 842
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    UPDATE.......

I found the movie this morning on one of the spanish Gala channels and it had a selectable english sountrack !!

So I watched it - a few observations...........saw nothing about Hanna Barbera so not too sure how legit this version is.

The opening titles are smilar to old cartoon - but with a modern twist.

Its still set in New York but a lot of signs etc are in Spanish writiing so assume this is for Spanish Market.

Everybodys present Dibble, Benny, Fancy Fancy etc - the story is around the Pikachu (!) diamond and Dibble Guarding it etc etc ....wont spoil it !

All in all very enjoyable - if a bit bizarre finding a new TOP CAT movie after all these years..............oh and the voices are spot on !!

Dave
  • nainznainz Posts: 1,777
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3MNCu1KTveI&feature=related

Anima Studios and Illusion Studios have released a feature film in Mexico (where it's extremely popular), entitled Don Gato y Su Pandilla (the name used for the Latin-American Spanish dub of the series), on September 16, 2011 only on Latin America; it is shown in 2D and 3D.

Top Cat and the gang face a new police chief, who is not at all happy with the poor performance of officer Matute (Officer Dibble) and avoids Top Cat's scams.

Lucas Buenrostro, the new police chief, has loads of technology resources and their real intention is to take the city, imposing ridiculous laws. Will test the Top Cat and all members of the gang, as well as officer Matute (Dibble).

The film has been released by the Latin American branch of Warner Bros. Pictures (whose parent company, Time Warner owns Turner Entertainment, which acquired Hanna-Barbera in 1990), but there has been no word from WB if in the United States the film will be released either in theaters.

The movie has become one of the most successful Mexican movies ever, earning in its 5th week $108 millions of pesos (About $ 7,929,515 dollars)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Top_Cat

http://www.dongatoysupandilla.com/
  • jenziejenzie Posts: 20,821
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ooh, i do like that mix of cgi bacgrounds and traditional animated characters!
    would be interesting to see how other characters are done like that
  • James2001James2001 Posts: 73,655
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm suprised they've made this, and then limited it to Latin America. That looks very week animated!
  • DensinoDensino Posts: 3,204
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    That looks truly horrific!
  • foonkfoonk Posts: 4,012
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Scooby, TC.....

Should never have been remade.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Its not bad at all.........kept me and my son amused !!

Dave
  • nainznainz Posts: 1,777
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I noticed the English dubbed dvdrip is available online today. I'll give it a go later.
  • Virgil TracyVirgil Tracy Posts: 26,806
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Top Cat was brilliant , but it was the voices that really made it , and they're all dead I guess .

I loved Chooch and his polo-neck .
  • paul2307paul2307 Posts: 8,079
    Forum Member
    Just found it online I'll watch it later and see what its like , hope its better than that awful Yogi Bear film
  • grimtales1grimtales1 Posts: 46,695
    Forum Member
    Doesn't look too bad - the blend of traditional animation and CGI backgrounds seems to work well in the trailer.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Can't believe this is now at the cineMA - and in 3D !!

Dave