PAYG with phone use only - data blocked

Stewie_CStewie_C Posts: 1,739
Forum Member
✭✭✭
What I'm after is an operator that has phone calls and text ONLY and no use of data. Problem is that he's on his mobile late at night and is late for school as he can't get up. We've blocked his access to the router at home after a certain time, but he then just switches to skyping using the 3G allowance on GiffGaff.

I know we can switch to PAYG without data, but he can still use his talk allowance up on data (and I'm sure would!!). I'm looking for some way of having text and calls but no way of accessing data. My son has an unlocked phone so we can switch easily.

Comments

• m4tt24m4tt24 Posts: 843
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    If he knows you've blocked the WiFi at a certain time so he can't use it and then goes onto data you're sort of going around the actual problem by blocking data.

Maybe it would be better to buy an older phone not capable of internet access until he understand what boundaries you have already put into place and keeps to them. You're sort of turning it into a game of cat and mouse over data at the minute.

Edit: Just to add. If he wants internet access and the game continues if you do buy a payg sim without data (if it's possible) there is nothing really to stop him getting his own sim with data access and swapping over at night.
  • acoolwelshblokeacoolwelshbloke Posts: 3,185
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Take the phone off him, what's wrong with you?
  • MarkLS12MarkLS12 Posts: 1,128
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Depends what age he is but I would try this.

If he does not get up at the right time in the morning, then that night he must leave his phone outside his bedroom.
    That will have him up bright and early the next morning to see if he has had any messages overnight.
  • JeffG1JeffG1 Posts: 15,269
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Do you have no control over him?
  • BMRBMR Posts: 4,351
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    MarkLS12 wrote: »
    Depends what age he is but I would try this.

If he does not get up at the right time in the morning, then that night he must leave his phone outside his bedroom.
    That will have him up bright and early the next morning to see if he has had any messages overnight.

This sounds like the best solution. If that does work relieve him of the phone altogether and get a ten quid dumb phone with no internet.