Broadchurch - ITV Drama Series (Part 2)

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 11
    Forum Member
    Mrning all. New morning, new theory!
    Having looked at that picture again I totally see the comments about Mark not really being blonde. I think, just on a quick glance at the shot it juts seems that Mark and Tom have similar hair colour, a bit more fair than Danny and Beth. But still. praps the yellow connection is pushing it (tho i love the Chris Martin idea - I've always found him a bit saccarine - sinister!).

Anyway, new thought this morning is all about the brutality of the killing. It's a pretty extreme way to murder anyone, and especially a child. It's hard to believe if you had that in you it could be kept hidden and contained apart from this one act. As there don't seem to be other connected killings that might suggest some continuity relate to a character we know (wasn't it established that the Whitby killings were a totally different MO?) I started to think about anyone who might have that level of brutality in them.

It made me think of PQ's 'men who will rape' (ugh). So what if i does, as many have suggested on here, all come back to smuggling. PQ, and others, is involved in smuggling with some very nasty men. Perhaps they don't meet directly, but her dog helps her to find deliveries after each drop, then others in the village help her move / store / sell it on? Danny, on the cliff top, spots someone out at sea behaving oddly, perhaps signalling and goes to investigate. He is murdered by on of these horror crims when he interrupts their delivery. They don't know him, if he threatens them they could be as nasty as you like. PQ finds the body when she comes to pick up whatever's being smuggled (cigs maybe: re-labelled high tar one for sale on the UK market?) and, out of sympathy moves it to somewhere the family will be sure to find it.

I reckon that lots of the people in the village -probably all of the 5 a side footie team for sure are complicit in covering up the crime, but none of them did it themselves.

In fact, I'm finding it increasingly horrific to think about any of these characters we've spent so much time with being capable of such an appalling act. Am I going soft??
  • Andy-BAndy-B Posts: 6,800
    Forum Member
    a 5 a-side football team? Honestly? Why not a darts team, or the local Womens Institute - only kidding.

btw, it's not really a village - that's on BBC1.
  • fizzle90fizzle90 Posts: 6,467
    Forum Member
    Is anyone else as sad as me and are clock-watching and counting the hours? :o:o:o:D
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 11
    Forum Member
    :D They act like a village though! How many people live somewhere where everyone's on first name terms? (or am i being a horrible old cynic?)
    But maybe not The Village tho....
    And not The Village People neither!
  • AddisonianAddisonian Posts: 16,377
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm still convinced it's Joe but have really enjoyed reading everyone else's theories.

I will love it if it turns out to be someone completely unexpected like Maggie, for example.
  • andybrizandybriz Posts: 151
    Forum Member
    Yera wrote: »
    Just saw tonights ep being reviewed on daybreak and Richard Arnold said to look back to the opening scene - child on clifftop with "blood" dripping from hand - was he hinting at Tom I wonder-

That's just what he thinks. I personally think it is diesel. Remember the media haven't seen anything other than we have now nor do they have any further information than we do.
  • LisleLisle Posts: 96
    Forum Member
    pegasus2 wrote: »
    Joe is from Wales, Danny's grandmother lives in Wales, the reporter went to Wales when she disappeared for a few weeks. Could the case Hardy messed up on have actually been in Wales, and not England? Mind, I have no idea how this would tie in.

Hi all, first time posting here. Just to say I haven't enjoyed a thread so much since Life on Mars / Ashes to Ashes.

I noticed the Wales connection before the last episode when the reported said she'd been away staying with a friend in Wales and that cemented the connection in my mind.

Also, I agree with another poster who said that something very relevant happened 15 years ago. Working back if Jack was say 65 and his son died aged 6 that would have been around 15 years ago (assuming he had the child a couple of years after he married). That also assumes you accept his age as 65 (the actor is 71). It might be a bit of a stretch...

Also, I think Jack is the piano connection. He was a music teacher and the young girl he married was his music student. He wasn't dead at the time though and I presume his wife is still alive? A six year old could have been learning the piano and be the one trying to contact Beth with Danny's message?

I'm thinking that Mark and one other of the guys had something to do with a death when they were young teenagers and their identities were changed (like the Bulger killers) and that Danny is telling Beth that she will not benefit from knowing who killed him because she will find out that Mark was a child killer. I'm thinking terrible accident here rather than cold blooded murder. Maybe it happened on a school trip to Yorkshire from Wales?

I think someone in the story from Wales was a relative of the child that died 15 years ago and they have killed Danny as revenge against Mark. Mark's Mum is still in Wales.

I'm very wary of that vicar. Why did he turn to alcohol? To forget the death of a sibling?

I believe a lot of the things we spot are red herrings. Think back to the wild theories we all had during the last series of Ashes to Ashes and much of that came to nothing or was completely irrelevant to the core story.
  • Lindy_LoueLindy_Loue Posts: 9,874
    Forum Member
    Lisle wrote: »
    Hi all, first time posting here. Just to say I haven't enjoyed a thread so much since Life on Mars / Ashes to Ashes.

I noticed the Wales connection before the last episode when the reported said she'd been away staying with a friend in Wales and that cemented the connection in my mind.

Also, I agree with another poster who said that something very relevant happened 15 years ago. Working back if Jack was say 65 and his son died aged 6 that would have been around 15 years ago (assuming he had the child a couple of years after he married). That also assumes you accept his age as 65 (the actor is 71). It might be a bit of a stretch...

Also, I think Jack is the piano connection. He was a music teacher and the young girl he married was his music student. He wasn't dead at the time though and I presume his wife is still alive? A six year old could have been learning the piano and be the one trying to contact Beth with Danny's message?

I'm thinking that Mark and one other of the guys had something to do with a death when they were young teenagers and their identities were changed (like the Bulger killers) and that Danny is telling Beth that she will not benefit from knowing who killed him because she will find out that Mark was a child killer. I'm thinking terrible accident here rather than cold blooded murder. Maybe it happened on a school trip to Yorkshire from Wales?

I think someone in the story from Wales was a relative of the child that died 15 years ago and they have killed Danny as revenge against Mark. Mark's Mum is still in Wales.

I'm very wary of that vicar. Why did he turn to alcohol? To forget the death of a sibling?

I believe a lot of the things we spot are red herrings. Think back to the wild theories we all had during the last series of Ashes to Ashes and much of that came to nothing or was completely irrelevant to the core story.

Fascinating post, thank you :) I'm still trying to get my head round it actually....I seem to be getting brain-ache! :p

Can someone remind me of the piano connection? It all seems so long ago now......:o
  • AmethyztAmethyzt Posts: 4,383
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Andy-B wrote: »
    a 5 a-side football team? Honestly? Why not a darts team, or the local Womens Institute - only kidding.

btw, it's not really a village - that's on BBC1.

I said yesterday that, based on the fact that there is a football in all the promo pics and we are told that all the clues are there, then I think the football team is a cover for something else.
  • basdfgbasdfg Posts: 6,764
    Forum Member
    Who's in the five a side football team. I don't remember it being mentioned.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Lindy_Loue wrote: »
    Can someone remind me of the piano connection? It all seems so long ago now......:o

When Psychic Steve was doing his message from Danny, he also said to Beth that there was someone who had died........with either an R or an S in the name and who played the piano

Beth said that all meant nothing to her
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    basdfg wrote: »
    Who's in the five a side football team. I don't remember it being mentioned.

It is mentioned in Episode One, when Mark is walking down the street in the opening shots...

He meets the Vicar and says, where were you for 5 a side football last Tuesday and the Vicar makes an excuse as to why he didnt turn up

so we dont know who is in it other than Mark and Paul., but a likely guess for the other 3 would be Nige, Joe and possibly Olly
    Forum Member
    Amethyzt wrote: »
    When Psychic Steve was doing his message from Danny, he also said to Beth that there was someone who had died........with either an R or an S in the name and who played the piano

Thanks Amethyzt :) Further food for thought.....;)
    Forum Member
    I said yesterday that, based on the fact that there is a football in all the promo pics and we are told that all the clues are there, then I think the football team is a cover for something else.

Yes!! Good idea......I like the idea that the clues are there.....even if it is driving me crazy!

In the opening scene there is also some prominence given to Mark passing a message / advert renewal on to the journalist in the newspaper office...a look passes between them :eek:
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 122
    Forum Member
    This isn't any sort of theory but just an observation - if you had an 11-year-old son, still at primary school, and one of his peers had been murdered, the killer still at large, would you let him out and about on his own as much as Tom is? E.g, alone in the dark in the churchyard destroying the laptop, at the amusement arcade, visiting PQ in her caravan etc. I'm sure as hell I wouldnt!! Don't think this adds much to the discussion :o
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 60
    Forum Member
    I thought I'd missed something huge & was like :eek:

Nirvana Girl, someone said earlier that they think you've got it! I've tried to scroll back to see your last ideas as yours I think are the closest! Tell me again :) hehe. Happy Broadchurch day!!!!
  • HelicaseHelicase Posts: 4,791
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Can I remind everyone saying Tom, Chloe or Beth that Danny was strangled with LARGE hands. The only twist in that respect would be if forensics/pathologist had majorly cocked up. Either that or they all have really big hands.
  • Kwazykat61Kwazykat61 Posts: 254
    Forum Member
    Another one late to the party - loving reading the thread's and theories. Yellow and Chris Martin (Coldplay) has been mentioned ... Song by Coldplay Old Yellow - just checked the lyrics but no nothing jumps out but maybe someone else can read 'a bit more' into it ... Can't wait for tonight :D
  • sheepiefarmsheepiefarm Posts: 27,566
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Jack was a music teacher.
  • CasmanaCasmana Posts: 1,861
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Helicase wrote: »
    Can I remind everyone saying Tom, Chloe or Beth that Danny was strangled with LARGE hands. The only twist in that respect would be if forensics/pathologist had majorly cocked up. Either that or they all have really big hands.
    Pleased to see someone else has retained a sense of staying in reality.;) There are some really wild imagineing's in here !:rolleyes:
    Forum Member
    bluie2103 wrote: »
    This isn't any sort of theory but just an observation - if you had an 11-year-old son, still at primary school, and one of his peers had been murdered, the killer still at large, would you let him out and about on his own as much as Tom is? E.g, alone in the dark in the churchyard destroying the laptop, at the amusement arcade, visiting PQ in her caravan etc. I'm sure as hell I wouldnt!! Don't think this adds much to the discussion :o

Ellie's always working late so I doubt she knows Tom's out and about on his own... but Joe? That's another matter!
  • dec7000dec7000 Posts: 83
    Forum Member
    I'm coming round to the theory that several of our suspects are involved in covering up the murder. Susan knows what they were up to and passes the skateboard (which was left with her by Danny) on to the police via Tom to incriminate those who were with Danny that night.

I wonder if Danny was a horrible child and said/did something very, very shocking. Enough to lead someone to snap but under the circumstances the others thought Danny had brought all this on himself. It could be a family member such as Chloe with her grandmother organising others to cover it up. She didn't want her daughter, who may have seen something that night, to have her family totally destroyed. Religion may have a part to play. What could be so shocking to make someone do this?

I don't like the stranger theory because of how the murder was committed unless there was a sexual motive but that doesn't seem to be the case. It does appear he was silenced.

A few other observations, apologies if already mentioned. Yellow on the calendar refers to Danny's house team at the sports day. But it does have religious links to Judas!

I'm not sure what to believe about psychic Steve. Is he a nutter or is it designed to show how gullible some people are into believing this sort of stuff? Or does he actually know something but can't reveal it in the normal way, perhaps because he would lose his job? S & R could be relevant.
    Forum Member
    Casmana wrote: »
    Pleased to see someone else has retained a sense of staying in reality.;) There are some really wild imagineing's in here !:rolleyes:

I know - I'm worried that the reveal won't live up to people's expectations because there have been so many crazy theories and observations, I just don't want to get my hopes up.
  • sheepiefarmsheepiefarm Posts: 27,566
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Some theories on here are really quite complicated with only tenuous links to what we have seen happening.

To me - one thing that has been very consistent with the show, is that the answer is usually the simplest one.

Mark - was doing nothing more than simply having an affair with another woman.

Jack - not a paedophile - just a man who had fallen for someone a few months short of legality - and he went on to marry & build a life with that someone (would probably still be living that life today if the accident which killed his son hadn't hapened)
    His "attention" given to the boys in the sea-scouts was merely that of a man who needed to be a parent.

The vicar - simply a recently recovering alcoholic, who, given his position, chose to go further afield for recovery group.
  • ArtyAttackArtyAttack Posts: 67,513
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    andybriz wrote: »
    That's just what he thinks. I personally think it is diesel. Remember the media haven't seen anything other than we have now nor do they have any further information than we do.

Agree. They are just guessing like us as the final 2 episodes have not been shown to them. Probably getting hints from this thread too. ;)
This discussion has been closed.